Under new standards, air conditioners must also clean the air

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

More negative than positive comments. That shouldn't surprise me given the general negativity of posters on this site. I personally welcome the higher standards. I don't know what it will mean but perhaps as simple as better filters that need cleaning more often, even weekly. What is wrong with that?

I do know then when I leave my condo for a month I clean it before departure. When I get back there is always a fine dust settled on al surfaces. If that can be reduced and I'm not constantly breathing it in that must be a good thing. 

How will you clean a pm2.5 filter? Right, you replace it and they are expensive, cost much more then filtrete...filtrete makes the N95 version as well but it costs 4-5 times more iirc....

15 hours ago, fruitman said:

They also should make them auto cleaning, it's a real pain to get the cleaning company to show up in time...i wished the aircons had disposable filters which we could change ourselves. 

You can buy after market filters, or do what I do.

Showed the wife how to clean the a/c now she does it.

A simple well done after and its time to drink, if I could get some

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

So this is the solution? Stay inside all day and what about the millions of poor peasants who can't afford air conditioning? And what about all those beautiful bike lanes being installed throughout the country that nobody uses due to the horrendous air pollution and heat? ???????????????? ????

Edited by Venom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, kenk24 said:

progress has a price.. cars did not get less expensive when they added safety features.. 

Initially yes but as more and more people make the switch, it becomes cheaper for companies to produce the new technology as they are mass producing it. Happy days ahead, I wish aircon companies would introduce built in natural/ organic air fresheners.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

where did I say that? 

If there is a continual and repeated problem and you can't personally stop it, but you can do something to mitigate it in your environment, why not? 

This will be forced on us. The government doesn't have the balls to reduce pollution so it passes on the costs, both healthwise and financial, to consumers that won't have a choice. Job done.

Will these units be cheaper? Reliable? I doubt it.

• Like 1

While your at it, make the aircon with motion sensors when there is no movement in the room for 15 minutes it turns off automatically would save a fortune in electricity, Do any of you guys know of a make and model that already does that?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

While your at it, make the aircon with motion sensors when there is no movement in the room for 15 minutes it turns off automatically would save a fortune in electricity, Do any of you guys know of a make and model that already does that?

Seems interesting also.

These Japanese companies selling aircon are far from impressive ! Selling the same machines for 40 years without any improvement. No respect to them.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Let's deal with the syptoms, not the cause.

Just out of interest is Lumpini Boxing Stadium air-conned?

And as an aside any news on the investigation there? (Rhetorical).

Nope it’s Bangkok fresh (?) air lol ???? 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Daikin has it.

image.png.407bdf8906d34fcd582ce7c3608e1350.png

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rech said:

These Japanese companies selling aircon are far from impressive ! Selling the same machines for 40 years without any improvement. No respect to them.

I doubt they would have much "respect" for your totally uniformed opinion, so no love lost. ???? 

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

It would be better to build a large box around the whole aircon with a very large filtrete filter on the inlet opening. I'm too lazy to build that but Daikin  should build them this way. Filtrete blocks the airflow so it needs a much larger surface to let enough air through.

Would be awesome if cleaning the aircon was just a matter of changing the filtrete paper and that's it. it can be connected with magnet strips (like in a fridge door) so it's changed in a minute. Cleaning aircon costs 500 baht (plus many hours time waiting), i will be happy to pay 750 for the filter if i can do it myself in a minute.

At Bht 900 for a 15 x 96 inch roll it would cost a fortune. You simply stick a piece of Filtrete onto the nylon pull-out filters with sticky tape bits (supplied) and that's it. 3M recommend you change after 3 months. This was pure white when I fitted it in February.

I am going to try, against 3M's advice, to wash the filter gently, by hand.

I watched the 'professional' cleaner last time. A soft brush on a vacuum cleaner on the metal vanes, and a gentle water spray for the outside unit. I shall then have 4 x 500Bht to spend on beer!   PML

Filtrete.thumb.jpg.038abb955a30df432bc4a65677718047.jpg

Edited by stouricks

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

But the whole idea of the Economy mode is that the compressor is going on and off as and when the air going IN is at the temperature you set. The air coming OUT does not change temperature, mine chucks out 17 degree air no matter what setting it is on. It just stays on longer. But if it shuts down after 15 minutes, it then has to cool all the warm air which has entered the room again. Better to keep it running IMO. and it should shut down itself, a bit like an immersion heater does.

1 hour ago, bloodyholly said:

“... passing the buck and ignoring the actual problem...”

welcome to Thailand

Agreed , however even if our local authorities unexpectedly succeeded in banning all burning, a much discussed topic,which "could" be enforced that doesnt fix the problem.

They have no control over adjacent countries and pollutants from as far afield as Indonesia India, China , Vietnam, and burning in Aceh etc.

For individuals our only option is to mitigate our local situation/activities for now.

I have a PM 2.5 metre whcih shows the air I am actually receiving not some weather station how ever accurate many kilometers away.They are readily availble online from baht 500 up, New filter machines may have a meter enclosed.

I have also used a variety of purifiers the Xiaomi remote conrolled from phone suits me, tho a tad loud on full power for sleeping.It reduces peak PM2.5  levels around 40 to 8 in about 10m in my small den.After that can set to low and will keep it to safer levels c20 with no furthur boost, each time I pop to the Kitchen etc I ramp it up giving me an ambient level 15 , which is 3 times better than outdoors at present.

Up here in the North we are just praying for rain to break teh drought with the added bonus of cleaning the air. There have been a few showers but much lower than in previous years and the early years of teh century .Whether this is temporary , El Nini/La Nina or Climate change is a whole other debate.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
extra detail
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamemjay said:

They dropped the price back to 425, even down to 420 on another of the same company's website.. And if you spend 890 you get 150 discount. So buy 3 rolls get them for 375 each. 

Edited by stouricks

It seems none of the many ones here in favour of that "initiative", any more than those "mandarins" of Thai Industrial Standards, I suspect, have been giving it a thought (a what?) about what it takes to have, insulated(!) (not letting unfiltered air run around it) filters of such large sizes with calibrated mazes small enough to be able to catch these micro-particles with a size of 2.5 microns and smaller, and to keep doing that for quite long a time (hundred of hours) between cleaning or replacing(?).

Besides, these filters will have to let a large enough quantity of air through in order to allow the aircon units' fans etc. run correctly. What these units won't be able to do, anyway, without, each, consuming much more kWh's a day, electricity produced in Thailand mostly in power plants driven by polluting fossil sources of energy, which are some of the worst producers of PM2.5's in this land...

Why couldn't these "mandarins" do some "thinking outside the box" and come up with a more global, inclusive, both industrally and economically, acceptable solution, instead of this silly child's fantasy?

Sorry for the ones in favour of it here, but nobody has said living in (semi-) confinement should stop you from using your brains freely. Maybe geniuses also in favour of knives without a sharp side, to prevent people of cutting themselves or others (I have hundred of silly examples like this, straight real life reactions from average educated adults, so you're not alone...)!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2020 at 9:09 PM, BigBadGeordie said:

Let's deal with the syptoms, not the cause.

Just out of interest is Lumpini Boxing Stadium air-conned?

And as an aside any news on the investigation there? (Rhetorical).

I've sent many questions to him, rhetorical that is, he never answers.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:30 AM, TooBigToFit said:

Well, I like the idea but I can agree with a lot of negativity. I hope this recent period of crappy air combined with Covid-19 inspires Thailand and the world to do better to end the pollution and clean up the environment. And maybe if we are really lucky, the idea of making an effort to reduce the world's population for a better planet in every way comes up too. 

kumbaya my lord. kumbaya. kumbaya my lord. kumbaya. now everybody sing.

good outlook either way toobig

23 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You could easily install a motion detector yourself,good idea!!!Another way of saving electric would be to

set the temp.at 26 instead of 25 etc.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:39 AM, cooked said:

This will be forced on us. The government doesn't have the balls to reduce pollution so it passes on the costs, both healthwise and financial, to consumers that won't have a choice. Job done.

Will these units be cheaper? Reliable? I doubt it.

I just paid 32, 000 baht for top of the range DAIKIN 28,000 BTU..

COST ME 32,000 effin baht !!

On 4/22/2020 at 8:30 AM, TooBigToFit said:

Well, I like the idea but I can agree with a lot of negativity. I hope this recent period of crappy air combined with Covid-19 inspires Thailand and the world to do better to end the pollution and clean up the environment. And maybe if we are really lucky, the idea of making an effort to reduce the world's population for a better planet in every way comes up too. 

Interesting study came out on a restaurant in Beijing with a cluster of COVID cases; the virus spread to 3-7 people due to the air circulation in the room, rather than through the wall mounted AC.  Things like this don’t necessarily improve things much. 

I hadn’t heard of the Filtrene before; fitting a proper HEPA filter to a wall mount unit would be more like using a floor-mounted unit due to the size increase. 

My gut says you are better off with a separate air filter from the AC; the parametric controls when integrating it to the AC might not yield the best results.