Water Quality Issue

josephbloggs

Since this morning our tap water has become undrinkable.  Made a cup of tea this morning and it was like it had three spoonfuls of salt in it and I wondered if I had been pranked.  Left it today to see if it would clear as I've never had problems with the water in Bangkok (24 years here) but even tonight the tap water has a strange smell and taste; kind of chemical smelling.  Definitely not drinkable.  Can not even wash the dishes in it.  This is not a slight change, it is night and day like someone has mixed something in to the supply.

I am in Prawet.  Not sure if it is something unique to our house or to a wider area.  Anyone else noticed anything today?  If you had the issue we have you would definitely notice it in smell and taste, absolutely disgusting.

Edited by josephbloggs

I live not far from there, but didn't notice anything today.

this article is from some months ago, but it suggests that the water quality can be different in different parts of the city, and it also gives an explanation; https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3045101/thailands-worst-drought-40-years-turns-bangkok-tap-water

Predictions for a big rain yesterday and today. Routine to extra dose the water supply with Chlorine before a storm as runoff often puts many undersireable elements into the supply stream. In Nonthaburi this morning I can smell a much stronger concentration of chlorine even though the rain neber materialized. Use bottled water. Get it delivered same price as buying retail. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tonray said:

Predictions for a big rain yesterday and today. Routine to extra dose the water supply with Chlorine before a storm as runoff often puts many undersireable elements into the supply stream. In Nonthaburi this morning I can smell a much stronger concentration of chlorine even though the rain neber materialized. Use bottled water. Get it delivered same price as buying retail. 

Thanks, yeah could be it.  I do have a water cooler and get deliveries every week.  I don't drink tap water but do use it to make tea and for cooking.  Never noticed anything odd with it before in 24 years.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 2:44 AM, lee b said:

I have been in Thailand on and off for over 15 years. I really have never used running water for drinking, even after boiling it. I will only use bottled water for anything that would go into my stomach.

Even when showering sometimes you can smell some kind of metalic substance.

Bangkok water? Well wherever I have lived it is clear and chlorinated and perfectly OK to drink.

If one can smell the chlorine it is OK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Bangkok water? Well wherever I have lived it is clear and chlorinated and perfectly OK to drink.

Agree with you - never had a problem with Bangkok water.  Just this week it smelt and tasted really bad.  Made a cup of tea and spat it out as it tased like it had a few teaspoons of salt in it.   It is a bit better today but still not like normal.  It doesn't taste of chlorine, more like salt.

Looking at the MWA live site it does appear to be saltier in the east of the city than in the west.  Don't know what a "normal" measurement of salinity would be though so don't know if it is high or not.

https://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=sal

I also live in Prawet and the water tastes good. There was an occasion a few months ago that there was a sulphate taste, probably due to an accident at the treatment plant. Happens in the UK sometimes if the tanker driver with the Aluminium Suphate water conditioning chemical have a spill or the operator gets the dose wrong.

I live in Phra Kanong area.

It happen that a month ago i only felt more chlorine taste and a bit of metallic taste as well, but since a week ago the water smell/taste back to normal.

This made me think that maybe it's time to replace the water filter cartridge.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:44 AM, lee b said:

I have been in Thailand on and off for over 15 years. I really have never used running water for drinking, even after boiling it. I will only use bottled water for anything that would go into my stomach.

It doesn't matter if you boil regular tap water, it's not supposed to be used for drinking. 

I have a water salinity (TDS) meter. Three days ago, Bangkok tap water (Yannawa area) was 350ppm, today I measured 280ppm. Anything less than 600ppm is considered safe to drink for most individuals. If you have an issue with salt in your diet, anything above 200ppm is of concern (like those with kidney problems).

Some people are more sensitive to water salinity levels (like my wife). If the TDS level goes above 300ppm or so, my wife definitely can tell. Boiling the water beforehand will actually increase the salinity levels as you will boil off water and leave salts behind. I personally use bottled water for making coffee and tea when salinity levels are high. For normal drinking water, I have a Carbon/Resin/UF filtration unit that I use.

The lowest I have ever seen my tap water go is about 150ppm.  

Edited by Silurian

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

No Chiang Mai

On 4/22/2020 at 4:44 PM, lee b said:

I agree I have lived in bkk for 16 month's and have and still do vacation there,but have and would never drink the tap water.I don't even brush my teeth or rinse my mouth with it. Always bottled water.

2 hours ago, cbc said:

I agree I have lived in bkk for 16 month's and have and still do vacation there,but have and would never drink the tap water.I don't even brush my teeth or rinse my mouth with it. Always bottled water.

Do you shower in Evian too?

I drink bottled water but would have no qualms about drinking from the tap.  I cook with tap water, brush my teeth in it, shower in it.  Bangkok water quality is actually pretty good.  Out in the provinces less so, but Bangkok is generally fine.  This post is because it is the first time I have had an issue and I have lived in Bangkok for 24 years, so it is a very unusual occurrence.   

If you won't even rinse your mouth in it, do you shower in it?  Genuine question.  If you eat in a restaurant do you think they are cleaning your vegetables or plates with bottled water?

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I think you know what I meant.  

Tap water is generally fine and I have no issue with it normally.

Yes, sorry. I know.

It's bad to drink that water. Maybe you have no issues now. But if there are chemicals in that water you can get issues later.