Pubcycle COVID-19

StreetCowboy

In the spirit of Baden Powell, we should have a contingency plan for some eventualities; 
What if the (travel and social distancing restrictions) MCO is still in place when the next Pucycle winds round in the calendar?

Pubcycle by Zwift?  there are certain things that I feel Zwift would need to do to make this possible:

a) Load Zwift rides (profile, geography) up Strava, and include accompanying camera footage

b) Dsitribute beer to the participants (maybe we could delgate that and leave the participants responsible for managing it)

Pubcycle by sparse spin class, respecting social distancing, air conditioning criteria etc.?
a) the social banter may be better
b) we could probably arrange beer nurses to get the pub experience 

c) we might even be able to get pubs to sponsor the beer nurses

Stick two fingers up to totatlitarianism, and ride anyway?
a) we get the benefit of Vitamin D until your face turns scarlet
b) the possibility of police chases and a bit of DukesofHazzard back-road riding
c) the possibiity of arbitrary incarceration for ourselves and the publicans

Any suggestions entertained...

• Haha 1

This is the first time I've heard about this jolly wheeze.

When I did a search on TVF for 'pubcycle' it only resulted in this thread.

Google itself however, did find a link to last year's effort:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1051380-pubcycle-2018/

Reading last year's article I got the impression it took place in Malaysia somewhere?

How long ago did it begin, and did it ever take place in Thailand?

Decades ago in the UK I used to go on an 'alleged' cycle tour for church bellringers. In reality that was really a week long pub crawl with a bit of bellringing thrown in. Great stuff.

But I digress.

37 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

This is the first time I've heard about this jolly wheeze.

When I did a search on TVF for 'pubcycle' it only resulted in this thread.

Google itself however, did find a link to last year's effort:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1051380-pubcycle-2018/

Reading last year's article I got the impression it took place in Malaysia somewhere?

How long ago did it begin, and did it ever take place in Thailand?

Decades ago in the UK I used to go on an 'alleged' cycle tour for church bellringers. In reality that was really a week long pub crawl with a bit of bellringing thrown in. Great stuff.

But I digress.

You're right; it's based in the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur, and we've done the ride every year starting in 2014.  It's a charity sponsored ride, and since 2015, the money raised has been going to help a local orphanage overlooking the Federal Highway in Petaling Jaya.

Bell-ringing when you're steaming must be exceedingly entertaining, although not for the local community.

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

You're right; it's based in the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur, and we've done the ride every year starting in 2014.  It's a charity sponsored ride, and since 2015, the money raised has been going to help a local orphanage overlooking the Federal Highway in Petaling Jaya.

Bell-ringing when you're steaming must be exceedingly entertaining, although not for the local community.

That sounds really good, although living in Udon Thani makes it more unlikely for me.

Having said that, two friends from Udon cycled to Singapore a couple of years ago. Strange things do happen.

'Bell-ringing when you're steaming' That brings back memories.

One year we were cycling/bellringing around Shropshire. After booking in at the local youth hostel we went to the pub yet again (compulsory) for the evening.

Came out pished. Some of us had unwisely cycled from the youth hostel to the pub (about a mile) - that's enough time for an extra pint if you cycle, instead of walking.

Unfortunately on the way back I skidded on a gravel bend (that's my excuse), came off and hit my head.

Had a wonderful night in (I think) Telford Hospital with concussion. I apparently spoke fluent ballocks to the ambulance driver, who'd obviously seen it all before.

Our group awarded a yellow T-shirt to the person for the most outstanding/entertaining piece of stupidity on the tour. I won it that year.

If anyone thinks that bellringers are a quiet, reserved, religious group, they'd be correct - except without the 'quiet, reserved, religious' part of it.

Why do you think most villages have a pub opposite the church? Bellringers have been their number one customers for centuries.

I'm in that constructive frame of mind again.

One of my colleagues has a buddy who is a Police Inspector.

Do you think we would have more chance of getting away with a flagrant MCO-breaching escapade if there was a Sherriff Rosco in pursuit, so that no other coppers felt moved to try to apprehend us?

We can include some stairs and footpaths to avoid pursuit by police cars (slow ones, or maybe pedal-cars, at least) - our Recovery and Rescue Driver has never once kept up with us the whole route.

By way of a practice, I am planning a virtual pub ride on Sunday.  
Sid's Pubs has kept one branch open for takeaway, so I'm going to cycle round there and buy as many bottles of draught cider as will fit in my backpack.  The extra weight might help me achieve a personal best coming down through the tunnel.  

Then we'll set up a video chat, and we can all have a nice afternoon sitting outside the pub in the comfort of our own homes, quaffing beer from wherever we've sourced it. 

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the tacit support, guys!

Pubcycle 2019 is now scheduled for December 13th, starting at Sid's across the road.  For those that can join in person, we'll be setting off in peleta of up to 9 people, to ensure strict compliance with the CMCO regulations. 

Let me know if you want the Virtual Participation guidelines.  You shouldn't need to worry too much about CMCO guidelines so long as you adhere to social distancing and maintain at least 2 metres' distance to anyone in Taiwan, Australia, or other countries.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:23 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Thanks for the tacit support, guys!

Pubcycle 2019 2020 is now scheduled for December 13th, starting at Sid's across the road.  For those that can join in person, we'll be setting off in peleta of up to 9 people, to ensure strict compliance with the CMCO regulations. 

Let me know if you want the Virtual Participation guidelines.  You shouldn't need to worry too much about CMCO guidelines so long as you adhere to social distancing and maintain at least 2 metres' distance to anyone in Taiwan, Australia, or other countries.

Does no-one read this stuff before the post it?

We're looking at a record number of participants - at least 20 volunteers so far, so to maintain CMCO compliance we will need to split into two or three groups.  I'll be delighted if we can raise a record contribution, as it must have been hard raising money for the Shelter.

We are still working on the Virtual Participation guidelines.

Pubcycle 2020 poster.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up with just nine riders, so went out as one group.  The ride went as well as could be hoped, and bar the New Boy taking one wrong turning, everyone made it safely back to the start - finish pub, even the rescue driver.

I'm hoping that when the counting is finished, we'll have over RM 18,000 in total donations for the orphanage - and it's only 11 months to Pubcycle 2021!

SC