Why are Thailands numbers low? Its the mask!s

Bonobojt

19 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Of all mitigating factors for catching the virus, mask wearing is near the bottom of the list. Far more important are;

a/ wash your hands with soap

b/ avoid public transportation

c/ avoid crowded spaces, especially indoors

d/ avoid touching your face

e/ don't share cups or food with others

f/ get outside and get fresh air

g/ heat and light and humidity kill the virus rather quickly

Mask usage, particularly incorrect usage, may actually INCREASE your chance of catching something. Plus it gives too many people a false sense of security.

This post should be printed for distribution world-wide. 

Especially Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Aus and NZ experts say dont bother with masks unless you have it.

What a stupid comment.

How do you know if you're infected and when you were first infected.

And that advice is from 'experts' 555555

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Wrong. NZ and Aus have this thing under control. Very few masks.

If you cannot handle the facts so be it.

Their population densities are relatively low, even when comparing Sydney to European cities. (e.g. Stockholm has a population density 10X that of Sydney. Masks or no masks, the spread in directly related to population density (even comparing across all US states show that relationship (already did that, mainly put of boredom). Thoufh I think masks help in highly dense cities - along with other precautions. Hence the adice in NYC is to wear a mask or face covering when in public. 

15 hours ago, DavisH said:

Their population densities are relatively low, even when comparing Sydney to European cities. (e.g. Stockholm has a population density 10X that of Sydney. Masks or no masks, the spread in directly related to population density (even comparing across all US states show that relationship (already did that, mainly put of boredom). Thoufh I think masks help in highly dense cities - along with other precautions. Hence the adice in NYC is to wear a mask or face covering when in public. 

Yes, NZ population density is low, EXCEPT when going to the supermarket when it is probably as high as in any country. Hardly anyone in the one I use wears a mask and ZERO infected in the town. One size response does not fit all situations.

I think the virus numbers are low in Thailand because:

1) Climate and geography. These factors may not be understood. Sometimes an area might have mosquitoes but no dengue or no malaria. Different areas seem to host different diseases.

2) Genetics.  Coronavirus has been around for a long time. There maybe some sort of immunity already in SE Asia or Africa (it is also low there.)

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, NZ population density is low, EXCEPT when going to the supermarket when it is probably as high as in any country. Hardly anyone in the one I use wears a mask and ZERO infected in the town. One size response does not fit all situations.

Exactly, and every government has the right to take what steps they feel appropriate. Some may not agree with the policies implemented but nobody is in a position to say it is wrong.

NZ and Aus have benefited from the strict lockdown and quarantine measures on international arrivals rather than anything to do with masks. European countries were too slow with lockdowns and never bothered with arrival screening far less any quarantine and now looking to all measures they can in respect of damage limitation.

Even Bojo has backtracked on the use of masks.

Face masks will play a part in easing Britain out of coronavirus lockdown, Boris Johnson has said in the most substantive comments yet from the government on the public use of the coverings.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-face-masks-lockdown-boris-johnson-a9493061.html

The COVID19 should have been a lot worse in Thailand considering the amount of Chines tourists that were coming

in at height of the Chinese outbreak. But somehow they got away with it why we will have to wait for more studies

My bet goes on the warm climate and maybe a healthy diet.

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

A lot of amateur scientists on here

Even the professionals don't have definitive answer, so until they do common sense should prevail.

Milton is planning studies with a contraption that measures the droplets expelled when infected people point their heads into a cone-like device called the Gesundheit Machine. Those studies could help definitively answer questions about whether fine aerosolised particles are routinely generated when people breathe or cough, and whether they are likely to spread disease.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-airborne-transmission-spread-study-covid-19-a9492371.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=INDNEWS%2301052020&utm_term=IND_Headlines_Masterlist_CDP

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

Even the professionals don't have definitive answer, so until they do common sense should prevail.

Milton is planning studies with a contraption that measures the droplets expelled when infected people point their heads into a cone-like device called the Gesundheit Machine. Those studies could help definitively answer questions about whether fine aerosolised particles are routinely generated when people breathe or cough, and whether they are likely to spread disease.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-airborne-transmission-spread-study-covid-19-a9492371.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=INDNEWS%2301052020&utm_term=IND_Headlines_Masterlist_CDP

Those sort of studies have been around for ages. During my nurse training we were shown a film that showed how far droplets were expelled into the air during breathing. Much of expelled air is water vapour.

However, if it concentrates on how INFECTIOUS air breathed out by infected people is, it's worth doing. Could be the virus dies once it leaves the nostrils and is exposed to light.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:05 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I said

Till scientific evidence exists that masks prevent transmission while keeping distance.

Do you see the part in bold? Do you understand that nurses and Drs work very close to patients?

Is that clear enough or do I have to explain it more than that?

BTW, I am a nurse, so perhaps I might know a bit about wearing masks and such. However, keep posting your far more knowledgeable information than I have, by all means.

Yes you've only mentioned you're a nurse about a million times. We got it, but it doesn't add any weight to your argument.

Of course you don't need masks if you're several metres away from people 24 hours per day, nobody is saying that (as you well know), it's a strawman. But it's not always possible to maintain that distance when you venture out into the real world. Even when you're walking down a Bangkok street to the 711 people pass within a couple of feet of you. You can't avoid it unless you jump into the road and into the path of a bus. So to help prevent the spread (especially since many carriers have no symptoms) people should wear masks in public. It's obvious.

image.png.d925d3953119ad8e94bf8f9f6f18998d.png

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes you've only mentioned you're a nurse about a million times. We got it, but it doesn't add any weight to your argument.

I only mention it so people won't think I'm just another know nothing "expert" pontificating on things I know zero about.

However please keep sharing your scientifically proven information for the rest of us ignorant people.

BTW why does the guy in your "peeing" example have an erection, or is he deliberately directing it at other people?

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW why does the guy in your "peeing" example have an erection, or is he deliberately directing it at other people?

I don't know, maybe we need a nurse to confirm. Because you know, if someone used to hold the lofty position of nurse then clearly they're an expert on every aspect of human physiology and virology, including the spread of COVID19 under various environmental conditions, distances etc. As a layman I certainly wouldn't be so impertinent to question someone who was a nurse. In fact I would bow down and unquestioningly accept everything they said, since everyone knows that a nurses knowledge on everything COVID19 related is scientifically proven beyond reproach ????.

Come to think of it, I'm sure someone on this forum mentioned they were a nurse once or twice. Or maybe I imagined it? ????

• Haha 1

So, why does Bangkok have only a small fraction of the number of cases that NYC or London have?  I think it's the climate, plus the masks, plus the wai instead of handshakes.

Here is a long and interesting article about just that question.  It seems that for every theory about the spread of C19 there is a counter example that seems to disprove that theory! 

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-COVID-19-Riddle-Why-Does-the-Virus-Wallop-15243670.php

• Like 1

2 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, why does Bangkok have only a small fraction of the number of cases that NYC or London have?  I think it's the climate, plus the masks, plus the wai instead of handshakes.

Here is a long and interesting article about just that question.  It seems that for every theory about the spread of C19 there is a counter example that seems to disprove that theory! 

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-COVID-19-Riddle-Why-Does-the-Virus-Wallop-15243670.php

Very nice article from the NYT.

Regarding Thailand,  the summary is: It's strange,  isn't it? 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:19 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Those sort of studies have been around for ages. During my nurse training we were shown a film that showed how far droplets were expelled into the air during breathing. Much of expelled air is water vapour.

However, if it concentrates on how INFECTIOUS air breathed out by infected people is, it's worth doing. Could be the virus dies once it leaves the nostrils and is exposed to light.

So with your nursing experience you would rule out any possibility of transmission via air conditioning.

An alarming report from a restaurant in Guangzhou, China, showed that one infected person who had not yet developed symptoms infected nine other diners. Researchers suggested that an air-conditioning unit recirculating the air could have spread droplets, carrying the virus between tables.

• 1 month later...

For sure Masks are big.

Another big factor is for a large chunk of the population, it's an "outside country". My shopping at the morning market, evening market, (where they definitely don't social distance :thumbsup:, but yes they all wear masks). My lunch at a noodle shop, where we get our haircut, the local grog shop, & many more  ... all roofed but open sided, or partial open sided, with fans a whirring if no wind. More and more I am thinking that is a major factor. A lucky physical & climatic factor. 

Thailand went in to effective lockdown before covid19 took hold.  And it held this measure in place until there wasn't a single home-grown case.  

Masks may help, but only a little bit imo.  If masks were really effective then health workers wouldn't be getting sick. 

As another poster mentioned, Thailand has more of an outside, open door lifestyle.  

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Thailand went in to effective lockdown before covid19 took hold.  And it held this measure in place until there wasn't a single home-grown case.  

wrong

Thailand went into lockdown in the very last moment, putting if off as much as it could, in April, after many of the countries around the world had done it. It should've gone into it 1-2 months earlier.

the chinese covid, probably, had taken hold way before the lockdown occuried, but the government didn't admit it did becuase, probably, it covered up the numbers. They went into lockdown, I think, mostly due to pressure.

• Like 1