Why are Thailands numbers low? Its the mask!s

Bonobojt

On 4/23/2020 at 11:40 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The last only does what it claims if combined with goggles. Eyes are a prime entry point for viruses, which is why we shouldn't touch our faces ( good luck with that ).

Yes I read today every body touch his face (nose,eyes,mouth) an average 21 times per day)

3 hours ago, rickudon said:

Death rates will show up in total death statistics. Deaths in some Italian cities and in London doubled when the virus deaths peaked, although less than half the extra deaths mentioned Covid-19. This is some indication of the true death rate.

All information supplied by all countries is unreliable due to different ways of collecting it and lack of testing. Just that is all we have to go on for now.

True, but take a country like Sweden. 0.02021 of the population died, 2000 people.

Number of deaths in Sweden over the last four years:

2018 - 92,185

2017 - 91,972

2016 - 90,982

2015  - 90,907

You'd barely notice that increase, unless you were told.

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

True, but take a country like Sweden. 0.02021 of the population died, 2000 people.

Number of deaths in Sweden over the last four years:

2018 - 92,185

2017 - 91,972

2016 - 90,982

2015  - 90,907

You'd barely notice that increase, unless you were told.

Swedish newspapers Dagens Nyheter had nine pages of obituaries on Sunday, compared to the usual four.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200423/sweden-surpasses-2000-deaths-with-the-coronavirus

In 2019, in Stockholm county,  7591 men and 7777 women died

http://www.statistikdatabasen.scb.se/pxweb/en/ssd/START__BE__BE0101__BE0101I/DodaHandelseK/table/tableViewLayout1/

That's 7591+7777= 15,368 dead last year, 1281 per month on average. 

By April 24, Stockholm county has 1192 covid deaths.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Sweden

By March 24, the whole of Sweden had 81 covid deaths (see the same table).

So Stockholm County had at least 1192-81=1111 covid deaths in one month.

I would notice it.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 11:11 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

never seen a thai care home ..in all my travels around the realm

I have. My ex wife showed it to me and said she wants to go there when she's old. Don't ask where it is as it was on a trip north of Chiang Mai in the country and i didn't take much notice.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

There are over 6, possibly as many as 12 Care homes in CM province.

If anyone wants to know use the search function and they will be found.

A 99 year old friend passed away in one 12 months ago, I visited him on a weekly basis for the 3 years he was resident.

I have no medical qualifications but can say that the care and attention he received was all one could hope for and a tribute to the Thai nursing staff.

john

A3F723D7-C443-486F-934F-0720849F201A_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, Hanaguma said:

True. SO people who are coughing and sneezing should wear them. They are good for sick people to wear so as not to infect others. Plus there are so many kinds of masks that it's a hard thing to discuss without getting into lots of details. 

However their efficacy in the other direction (healthy people wearing them to keep from getting infected) is another thing entirely. There is a huge difference between wearing a mask to ward off pollen or pollution and wearing one to ward off a virus. IF you are doing it for the latter case, you had better NEVER touch your mask until you throw it away. THEN you must thoroughly wash with soap and hot water, or you will simply transfer any virus that the mask caught on its exterior surface to your hands. 

Plus healthcare workers are up close and personal with myriad people every day. 

I disagree that only people who are coughing and sneezing should wear them. Everyone should wear them, since many people have no symptoms yet still carry the virus and could give it to others.

Obviously the masks are more effective if worn by the infected individual, but since we do not know who is infected and who isn't then the safest option is for everyone to wear them when in public. It's not a huge inconvenience.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I disagree that only people who are coughing and sneezing should wear them. Everyone should wear them, since many people have no symptoms yet still carry the virus and could give it to others.

Obviously the masks are more effective if worn by the infected individual, but since we do not know who is infected and who isn't then the safest option is for everyone to wear them when in public. It's not a huge inconvenience.

Do you have any scientific evidence for your theory? If not it's just a theory. Till scientific evidence exists that masks prevent transmission while keeping distance I will continue to believe they are not necessary. For sure if such evidence existed NZ government would have mandated mask wearing- they have not. The only thing on the subject that I have heard was from a government spokeswoman saying that masks make it more likely for people to touch their face.

What is a FACT, is that if one gets the virus on their fingers and then puts their finger in their eye they are likely to infect themselves. Masks make it MORE LIKELY that people will touch their faces.

Feel free to wear a mask, but don't expect me to do so, especially as few are here. I've seen about 5 people out of a hundred wearing one. Seems more people here agree with me that you. What's the infection rate in the town you ask- ZERO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For sure if such evidence existed NZ government would have mandated mask wearing- they have not.

Bit of a lame argument. The UK government have advised against masks because there are not enough to go around. They do not want Joe Public to reduce availability to the medical professions.

If you were a bit more observant, you can see quite clearly in sunlight that the droplets from normal conversation carry over a metre. It cannot be disputed that masks inhibit conversation.

I do not like wearing a mask but I have done so on public transport and crowded areas since January. I now avoid using a mask by not going out.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bit of a lame argument. The UK government have advised against masks because there

NZ has very few people. Pointless using masks unless in crowded areas.

And this was the advice from experts. Why are you calling them lame?

They are right.

Edited by UbonThani
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, UbonThani said:

NZ has very few people. Pointless using masks unless in crowded areas.

And this was the advice from experts. Why are you calling them lame?

They are right.

Wrong, not proven to be right but of course you are quite entitled to think they are right.

BTW it is against the rules to truncate posts and distort the context.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you have any scientific evidence for your theory? If not it's just a theory. Till scientific evidence exists that masks prevent transmission while keeping distance I will continue to believe they are not necessary. For sure if such evidence existed NZ government would have mandated mask wearing- they have not. The only thing on the subject that I have heard was from a government spokeswoman saying that masks make it more likely for people to touch their face.

What is a FACT, is that if one gets the virus on their fingers and then puts their finger in their eye they are likely to infect themselves. Masks make it MORE LIKELY that people will touch their faces.

Feel free to wear a mask, but don't expect me to do so, especially as few are here. I've seen about 5 people out of a hundred wearing one. Seems more people here agree with me that you. What's the infection rate in the town you ask- ZERO.

So why do doctors and nurses treating COVID patients worldwide all insist on wearing them? I guess these thousands of medical professional combined know less than thaibeachlovers on TV forum ????.

41 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So why do doctors and nurses treating COVID patients worldwide all insist on wearing them? I guess these thousands of medical professional combined know less than thaibeachlovers on TV forum ????.

I said

Till scientific evidence exists that masks prevent transmission while keeping distance.

Do you see the part in bold? Do you understand that nurses and Drs work very close to patients?

Is that clear enough or do I have to explain it more than that?

BTW, I am a nurse, so perhaps I might know a bit about wearing masks and such. However, keep posting your far more knowledgeable information than I have, by all means.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:02 PM, sandyf said:

Wrong, not proven to be right but of course you are quite entitled to think they are right.

I have not seen an iota of scientific evidence posted that proves masks are needed when one meter or more from other people. If there were, a NZ government spokeswoman would not have said they were not needed.

Perhaps you have a link to just such evidence from a reputable scientific establishment?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have not seen an iota of scientific evidence posted that proves masks are needed when one meter or more from other people. If there were, a NZ government spokeswoman would not have said they were not needed.

Perhaps you have a link to just such evidence from a reputable scientific establishment?

The scientists are are so caught up in science that they are overlooking common sense. Conversation spreads the disease and masks inhibit conversation.

England does not want people to wear masks as they do not have enough but Scotland has seen the light.

Sturgeon said that while the evidence was limited, wearing face coverings could help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus by those people who are not yet showing symptoms.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-scotland/scotlands-sturgeon-recommends-wearing-face-masks-in-enclosed-public-spaces-idUSKCN22A1Y8

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/28/2020 at 12:02 PM, sandyf said:

Wrong. NZ and Aus have this thing under control. Very few masks.

If you cannot handle the facts so be it.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The scientists are are so caught up in science that they are overlooking common sense. Conversation spreads the disease and masks inhibit conversation.

England does not want people to wear masks as they do not have enough but Scotland has seen the light.

Sturgeon said that while the evidence was limited, wearing face coverings could help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus by those people who are not yet showing symptoms.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-scotland/scotlands-sturgeon-recommends-wearing-face-masks-in-enclosed-public-spaces-idUSKCN22A1Y8

NZ and Scotland are different places.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He quotes stuff from the UK!

Aus and NZ experts say dont bother with masks unless you have it.

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Wrong. NZ and Aus have this thing under control. Very few masks.

If you cannot handle the facts so be it.

It is you that should learn to handle facts, nothing in this scenario has been proven to be right.

You just thought you had the right to say they were right.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Of all mitigating factors for catching the virus, mask wearing is near the bottom of the list. Far more important are;

a/ wash your hands with soap

b/ avoid public transportation

c/ avoid crowded spaces, especially indoors

d/ avoid touching your face

e/ don't share cups or food with others

f/ get outside and get fresh air

g/ heat and light and humidity kill the virus rather quickly

Mask usage, particularly incorrect usage, may actually INCREASE your chance of catching something. Plus it gives too many people a false sense of security.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2