Flights back to normal by Oct 2021, says AOT

webfact

More crystal ball gazing by AOT and TAT. How can they even guess at numbers or dates when so much is yet to be decided upon? Nobody knows what rules or regulations will be imposed regarding entry to LOS in the future. Take everything they say with a sack of salt. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

If vaccine available 12 months from now, t

It is a Corona Virus.......there is no vaccine possible. The death comes from muliple contacts with the virus which triggers the immune responses and destroys the vasculare system in any organe

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I have told my Dad who is 90 that it is unfortunately unlikely that I will make it home within the next 2 years, I think that is realistic bearing in mind that I will need to get back into Thailand

Mines 97!

However i will try to visit in october (my April one was obviously cancelled) and be prepared to wait it out in UK

When i said  wait it out i meant return to thailand not for him to expire!

5 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Deja vu with a date shift?

I remember various Thai officials and organisations telling us that there would be a tourism boom in April. How about Songkran in June? Remember that one? Another lead balloon.

Never mind they can busy themselves writing alcohol bans.

One good thing is the local police checks on cars and bikes have stopped. Too hot maybe? Police afraid of being in the front-line of the virus? 

I saw this morning the BiBs had set up a barrage on a main road and they were stopping those motorcycles where driver and/or passengers were wearing no mask to "fine" them. Another juicy trick on top of the helmet "control" one to fill the brown pockets?

Most of the world lives on Debt.

The credit card companies will be offering people 25K to 50K Dollars unsecured and many people will take it and give themselves a must deserved holiday after being locked down for many months. 

When they find out that the actual mortality rate of Covid 19 SARS is only slightly higher than a bad flu season, they will be celebrating and if the governments stay out of trying to control peoples lives, things will return to normal fairly quickly.

There is allready a lot of pressure growing to get back to normal, and we are only a few months in. This will continue to build.

Now wether people will want to spend their holidays in Thailand is as yet, unknown.

Depends what kind of incentives the government offers, and how people view Thailand's coziness with the people that caused the worldwide calamity. Most westerners will view them as the lepers of the world for the foreseeable future, so Thailand should reconsider it's relationship with the brothers from the north, so as not to be tainted with the same brush.

As i read earlier today, they should not be in such a hurry to get into bed with the Wolf that Attacked the Hen House.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe they haven't realised the rest of the world is skint also long haul destinations will be off the list for a while, I get the feeling British people will be holidaying at home and a lot depends on the cost of flights

Could be that airlines regain permission to fly / entry to countries is open but given so many people lost their jobs, reduced to part time work etc., large numbers of previous travelers have very limited budgets.

On the other side of the story the airlines will be desperate to get revenues, even with small margins.

Does that mean competitive airfares? 

Depends partly on future cost of flights. Will it go up as airlines need to recover their losses, or will it go down as not as many people will be able to afford to fly?

As for return to normal by Oct 2021. It had better be a lot sooner or the whole world will have gone bankrupt by then. Where did this idiot get his facts from?.... ah its an airport authority so.... facts out of the blue.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

50 minutes ago, poohy said:

Mines 97!

However i will try to visit in october (my April one was obviously cancelled) and be prepared to wait it out in UK

When i said  wait it out i meant return to thailand not for him to expire!

Mine was 90s too, April trip cancelled too.  Now died and I can't even make the funeral.  Only 3 allowed at the funeral anyway, other family can take my place.

I may swear at Chinese when they come back.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

More crystal ball gazing by AOT and TAT. How can they even guess at numbers or dates when so much is yet to be decided upon? Nobody knows what rules or regulations will be imposed regarding entry to LOS in the future. Take everything they say with a sack of salt. 

Or more specifically, what rules the UN or WHO imposes on foreign countries. It is highly unlikely that countries will be granted full autonomy to do what they like. Since at least the end of WW2, nation states are bound to certain conventions and rules. Full sovereignty doesn't exist anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Not sure making predictions for 18 months in the future is ever a good thing to do, especially not in a global pandemic. 

Oh I don’t know. Sounds ballsy now and if they’re wrong then it’s far enough in the future to not matter because everyone will have forgotten.

just like the tourism minister who said songkran winds would blow away the virus. He hasn’t suffered one iota.

53 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Yep; PM me for a chat about it if you wish.

How interesting - I have been a railway enthusiast for many years and still am. Any opportunity to take a train ride usually taken. Recently took the Upper Shan State train from Mandalay to Hsipaw via the zigzag incline to Pyin Oo Lwin and over the Gokteik Viaduct - slow but fascinating. Still have several of my old "Ian Allen" books. Have a good day.

• Thanks 1

It's encouraging that there are about 80 different groups around the world working full-tilt on a vaccine.  Human trials have already started on one of the vaccines in Seattle and Johnson & Johnson's human vaccine trial will start in September. 

It's interesting that J&J has already started to manufacture its vaccine so that if it is proven to work, they will have a head start on producing enough of it.  That shows the urgency in getting a vaccine out as quickly as possible.  Bill Gate's foundation, working with some others, is funding research on seven or eight different vaccines.  Again, to speed things, I think he said they were also building manufacturing plants for each of them now so they would save some time and be ready to go as soon as possible if one of the vaccines works.  

J&J is working towards having a proven vaccine ready for the public by the beginning of 2021.  Perhaps others might get there even sooner.  It's going to be a long year and 2021 seems far off but let's all stay hopeful for a vaccine.  

9 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

AOT and TAT .....

by Oct next year traffic might be back to normal, depending on what requirements to enter Thailand.

If vaccine available 12 months from now, these numbers are only a dream, as usual.

Any other country who love to post their arrival numbers?

I would have thought that every tourist authority in every country in the world posts 

its arrival numbers and any airport authority definitely does.

Many argue that the data is  massaged and they could well be right, I don't sit at Swampy

24/7 with a clicker counting passengers as they pass by.

4 hours ago, sagra said:

Man, I sure hope they let guys who have Thai wives and kids..... and who got stuck outside of Thailand, come in a lot sooner. I had the worst luck. The country was closed up 2 weeks before my flight.

I married into a wonderful farm family last year; I had my Non-O visa (to covert to a Marriage extension/visa...which will expire in 3 weeks); I had money for the bank.

I'm a healthy 74 and made all the arrangements in the US and Thailand to allow me to settle into an easy-going existence in the country I love,....with the family I love.

Gotta be thankful for Line. We do video chats every morning and night, but it's tough for a passionate couple like us.

There is no reason why you and others with a Thai wife and/or family should not get into Thailand, even if it means being quarantined for two weeks. It is just pure bloody mindedness not allowing you in.

The rest of the world has been hit harder than Thailand. Business profits will be in lockdown. Wages will be in lockdown. Flights may increase if air tickets prices are in lockdown. The big "BUT" is the world is heading for the biggest depression since the 1930s. The Thai naivety does not recognise this, despite the forecasts of major economic experts. A depression is much more severe than a recession. The Thai tourist trade will be most affected by this. Asia has become the workshop of the world, with a large proportion of its products sold to western countries. If western countries reduce their buying. The Thailand's 80% local tourism will suffer as a result of this. Maybe try changing 2021 to 2031 for back to normal.

8 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Deja vu with a date shift?

I remember various Thai officials and organisations telling us that there would be a tourism boom in April. How about Songkran in June? Remember that one? Another lead balloon.

Never mind they can busy themselves writing alcohol bans.

One good thing is the local police checks on cars and bikes have stopped. Too hot maybe? Police afraid of being in the front-line of the virus? 

Oh common man. Nobody is actually taking the alcohol ban seriously. I just bought 100 bottles of Robert Mondavi, Napa Valley wine off a Thai on Facebook. Was delivered to me in Phuket from Bangkok next day. Quite cheap too since the wine is smuggled in from the US to avoid import tax. Alcohol in the US is dirt cheap compared to Thailand if you're weren't aware. I can get a bottle of Moet Champagne from a US distributor for 300 baht ( literally cheaper than what you could get it for in France ). Retail for Moet in Thailand is 3000 to 4000 baht lol. Buy your alcohol off Facebook folks and save yourself buckets of money. It's not fake stuff from China either. It's just smuggled. I verified codes with Robert Mondavi on my most recent purchase of 100 bottles. Robert is a close friend.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There is no reason why you and others with a Thai wife and/or family should not get into Thailand, even if it means being quarantined for two weeks. It is just pure bloody mindedness not allowing you in.

The October 2021 date is for being back to normal.  Things will improve way before then (I think flights will resume next month) and families will be near the top of the list.  It won't be normal as there may be health checks, insurance requirements or quarantine.  Tourism isn't likely to resume until next year and certainly won't be normal for a long time while the pandemic continues to spread around the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

Mine was 90s too, April trip cancelled too.  Now died and I can't even make the funeral.  Only 3 allowed at the funeral anyway, other family can take my place.

I may swear at Chinese when they come back.

Sorry to hear your bad sad news

However my dad at 97 will see us all off of that i pretty much certain