What are your top 10 movies of all time?

WineOh

For those that like to keep score here are the number of times a movie was mentioned at least 5 times up to now. There may be a few small small errors.

5 Fargo
5 Saving Private Ryan

6 Lawrence of Arabia
6 Silence of The Lambs
6 Snatch
6 The Big Lebowski

7 2001 A Space Odyssey
7 Forest Gump

10 Godfather

11 Pulp Fiction

13 Apocalypse Now

On 9/12/2020 at 9:17 PM, Peter Denis said:

Recently watched 'Death Hunt' (1981) again with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin.

Quite a good movie with trapper Bronson being hunted by Marvin in his role of a tough-as-nails canadian mountie.

Good movie.

No modern actors can touch actors like Bronson and Marvin for raw appeal. Modern movies are just too woke for actors such as they.

IMO it's just a matter of time before we watch virtual reality movies on personal headsets with computer generated actors and surrounds. Avatar shows how real unreality can be.

Perhaps we will be able to give the computer an outline of a story we want to see and it'll invent one for us.

I wouldn't be investing in cinemas now.

13 hours ago, KeeTua said:

For those that like to keep score here are the number of times a movie was mentioned at least 5 times up to now. There may be a few small small errors.

5 Fargo
5 Saving Private Ryan

6 Lawrence of Arabia
6 Silence of The Lambs
6 Snatch
6 The Big Lebowski

7 2001 A Space Odyssey
7 Forest Gump

10 Godfather

11 Pulp Fiction

13 Apocalypse Now

Do you mean Argo? Fargo is a 1996 movie that I don't even remember.

Only thing a thread like this proves is that everyone has a different list.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you mean Argo? Fargo is a 1996 movie that I don't even remember.

Only thing a thread like this proves is that everyone has a different list.

Fargo was a great black comedy, worth a watch IMHO.

Argo also a great movie, but I think he was correct with Fargo, a classic.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Fargo was a great black comedy, worth a watch IMHO.

Argo also a great movie, but I think he was correct with Fargo, a classic.

Indeed, Fargo from the Coen brothers - great movie, like al Coen brothers movies (the Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, Oh Brother where are Thou, Barton Fink, etc.).

By the way, the 5 mentions for Fargo were probably given for the more recent TV-series with the same name and also directed by the Coen brothers.

There are 3 seasons till now and all 3 follow somewhat same broad story-line as the original 1996 Fargo movie.

But the TV-series are actually BETTER!

Especially series 1 with the chilling performance by Billy-Bob Thornton as the deranged killer and Martin Freeman 'breaking bad' under his influence.  Must see.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 3:05 PM, Peter Denis said:

Indeed, Fargo from the Coen brothers - great movie, like al Coen brothers movies (the Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, Oh Brother where are Thou, Barton Fink, etc.).

By the way, the 5 mentions for Fargo were probably given for the more recent TV-series with the same name and also directed by the Coen brothers.

There are 3 seasons till now and all 3 follow somewhat same broad story-line as the original 1996 Fargo movie.

But the TV-series are actually BETTER!

Especially series 1 with the chilling performance by Billy-Bob Thornton as the deranged killer and Martin Freeman 'breaking bad' under his influence.  Must see.

I've seen series one and two of Fargo. Waiting for 3 at the DVD rental shop.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my favourites, not in any particular order:

Mississippi Burning

Ordinary Decent Criminal

The Godfather

12 Angry Men

LOTR: Return of the King

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Cape Fear (De Niro version)

Seven Samurai

Double Indemnity

Once upon a time in America

To be a top movie for me it has to leave me feeling upbeat and not depressed, so not many movies now fit that criteria. However, I include most of the Studio Ghibli movies in the upbeat category, despite having an underlying sadness at their core, perhaps because they are Japanese. I do not include Graveyard of the Fireflies, given that it is so sad I won't even watch it again.

However, well made movies that I consider high end would be such as The Cruel Sea, Das Boot, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Lawrence of Arabia, Ryan's Daughter, Two for the Road, My Fair Lady, Saving Ryan. Many more like that.