North Korean Restaurant?

pdimond

I just read a fasinating article about a North Korean restaurant in Phnom Penh, complete with NK Music and NK waitresses. As a long time student of Kim Jung Il's wacky world, I was super excited when I read that there was also a branch in Bangkok!

My research only reveals that it is close to the NK Embassy in Pattanakarn district. (where is that?)

What can you tell me about this place? Any info is appreciated especially an address or phone number.

I must say that I am desperate to visit as I will be returning to farangland for an extended period of time on April 20th.

Thank you for any information you can give me!

oh man i love korean food and especialy those little side plates they give you....but the stuff here is sooooooooo ###### expensive for no good reason.

if anyone has any korean joints with good value for money let us know!!!

In one small soi off Silom... can't remember the name or the soi number but it's easy to find... on the same side as Bangkok Bank Main. Pretty okay, about 200 baht for a moderately sized meal with free side dishes.

NEVER go to "Korean Barbecue" on sukhumvit, near Hot Curry and a supermarket. Horrible deal... portion is miniscule but it looks plenty on the picture... and VERY EXPENSIVE even if it's like a fastfood atmosphere which gives the impression that it's cheap (spent 500 baht just for me! and there was only about 100g of tough low quality tasteless beef)

If you wana pig out: Go to Century Mall attached to BTS Victory Monument.

On one of the higher floors (same floor as Narai pizza), there's a korean buffet for 220 baht all-in.

You'll have a fire grill on your table on which you can flame cook unlimited amounts of chicken, squid, pork, and BEEF (sorry, had to emphasize that...).

Quality is not bad... I'd rate it as decent.

On the buffet table, you'll have unlimited amounts of kimchi and a few other korean side-dishes.

Free softdrinks and ice cream too.

You'll have a fire grill on your table on which you can flame cook unlimited amounts of chicken, squid, pork, and BEEF (sorry, had to emphasize that..

Not Bangkok. But there is a great Korean restaurant in Auckland NZ. Sorry! This is the only Korean place i've been to and it was fantastic. On the look out for a decent one in Sydney.

oh man i love korean food and especialy those little side plates they give you....but the stuff here is sooooooooo ###### expensive for no good reason.

In one small soi off Silom... can't remember the name or the soi number but it's easy to find... on the same side as Bangkok Bank Main. Pretty okay, about 200 baht for a moderately sized meal with free side dishes.

NEVER go to "Korean Barbecue" on sukhumvit, near Hot Curry and a supermarket. Horrible deal... portion is miniscule but it looks plenty on the picture... and VERY EXPENSIVE even if it's like a fastfood atmosphere which gives the impression that it's cheap (spent 500 baht just for me! and there was only about 100g of tough low quality tasteless beef)

On one of the higher floors (same floor as Narai pizza), there's a korean buffet for 220 baht all-in.

You'll have a fire grill on your table on which you can flame cook unlimited amounts of chicken, squid, pork, and BEEF (sorry, had to emphasize that...).

On the buffet table, you'll have unlimited amounts of kimchi and a few other korean side-dishes.

thanks for that tip, im as good as there !!! (with beef)

Wish I remembered which place me and my girlfriend ate at while I was there last Sunday. It was an open type "restaurant" with little wood tables and plastic stools to sit on. It was a buffet type set-up which you cooked on the little table fire grill. Was all you can eat and was very inexpensive.

Seoul restaurant close to the start of Thonglor (on the right, just after the first soi) has a good cheap luchtime menu - 150 baht or so.

My mistake... That horrible tasting and expensive rip off is called "Seoul Barbecue", and not "Korean Barbecue". It's near supermarket called "Leader". HORRIBLE quality with tiny portions and super expensive, even if it's a cheap looking restaurant.

Edited by junkofdavid2

Wish I remembered which place me and my girlfriend ate at while I was there last Sunday. It was an open type "restaurant" with little wood tables and plastic stools to sit on. It was a buffet type set-up which you cooked on the little table fire grill. Was all you can eat and was very inexpensive.

There are a lot of those around. Prices from 79 to 99 baht per person. My favorite is for 99 Baht near the corner of Asoke and Petchburi.

However, these ones aren't really bona fide Korean restaurants with Korean food... they're more like Thai restaurants with Korean "style" of cooking (by merely adapting that Korean charcoal grill on table thing).

Edited by junkofdavid2

There are a lot of those around. Prices from 79 to 99 baht per person. My favorite is for 99 Baht near the corner of Asoke and Petchburi.

However, these ones aren't really bona fide Korean restaurants with Korean food... they're more like Thai restaurants with Korean "style" of cooking (by merely adapting that Korean charcoal grill on table thing).

You are probably right about that...was still pretty good for Thai food cooked Korean.

• 2 weeks later...
I just read a fasinating article about a North Korean restaurant in Phnom Penh, complete with NK Music and NK waitresses. As a long time student of Kim Jung Il's wacky world, I was super excited when I read that there was also a branch in Bangkok!

My research only reveals that it is close to the NK Embassy in Pattanakarn district. (where is that?)

What can you tell me about this place? Any info is appreciated especially an address or phone number.

I must say that I am desperate to visit as I will be returning to farangland for an extended period of time on April 20th.

Photos of North Korea that my daughter took when we went there the second time:

http://www.anniephotos.com/00/0nko/index.html

What's the difference between Korean and North Korean ? The OP was very particular on the North Korean theme. Can we expect special North Korean dishes on the menu such as tree bark noodles and grass soup ?

and grilled pigtails served with a light Plutonium dressing?

Edited by Dr. Naam

I cannot find the # but I have a map for the place. It may be next to the NK Embassy but I am not sure. The food is great. The performances (musical) from the lovely NK women is quite entertaining too.

Korean Pattanakarn Soi 20 Yak 6

From my place I take Petchburi out towards On Nut. Petch turns into Pattanakarn Rd around that area. On Soi 20 head North and it is down that way... I have attached a PDF map for more info. If anyone get the phone number, please let me know.

thanks...

File0005.PDF

• 3 months later...

I've been to the Pyongyang North Korean restaurant (Pattanakarn Soi 20 Yak 6, phone 0-2717-5700-1) last night with a Korean friend. We were the only customers, so we got great service. We both agree that the food was excellent. A caveat: the "English" menu consists of transliterations only. If you don't know your Korean food, you are well advised to bring a Korean or Thai friend along. Don't expect the waiters to speak English, either. Definitely not for Western tourists, but a great experience.

I've attached a scan of their business card.

Korean.pdf

Edited by lothda

I've been to the one in Phnom Penh. Some Korean friends took us and I had no idea what it was about. Stupidly, I thought the restaurant had been set up by 'runaways', but when I saw the waitresses who double up as dancers / opera singers / karaoke singers in 3 different languages / excellent violinists etc., I realised it was a great exercise in propaganda!

Anyhow, Sukhumvit Plaza by Suk Soi 12 has loads of Korean restaurants. We tried Arirang which has opened quite recently. V. tasty (but a little pricey)

Hmm, sounds like one of the Korean restaurants my wife and I go to from time to time right here in Tacoma Washington. Like the one you described, you can cook your raw meat on this cute little flame stove and drinks are free and lots of great kimchi too. As a matter of fact, Tacoma has a very large Korean community and the food is great and cost wise very reasonable and you get very good portions. Just my 2 cents......

There's a Korean Town near Asoke (I think between Suk.12-14?) and I've tried two of the restaurants there and really good Korean BBQ (sorry but can't remember the name).. My Korean friends told me that that's place where you can find closest to authentic Korean cuisine.

Will also agree on Seoul Restaurant in Thonglo -quite good and reasonable prices for lunch set menu.

What are the prices like at this North Korean place? This place sounds very interesting. Am not very familiar with Korean food though, hopefully the Thai menu is more descriptive of the dishes than the English one.

:D I understand that they have a excelent special on grass with field rat puree. That's all they have to eat these days in North Korea.

:o

About five years ago, I went to the NK Embassy/consulate in Bangkok, to see about a tourist visa... they told me to wait at this outdoor table.... I observed some small children of Korean staff in the compound. on the table, I observed a child's plastic toy, from KFC. In other words, the North Koreans hate Americans, but not enough not to eat at the nearby KFC.

If Kim Il Sung knew this was going on, he would be turning over in his juche.

I like bulgogi beef. And I like the restaurant Woo Lae Oak, which is sort of the south Korean version of Benihana, sort of a worldwide chain.

What are the prices like at this North Korean place? This place sounds very interesting. Am not very familiar with Korean food though, hopefully the Thai menu is more descriptive of the dishes than the English one.

Dinner for two was 1350 Baht. We had four different dishes, a beer each and one soft drink. Neither of us read Thai, so I cannot comment on the Thai menu. The Thai waiters will be eager to help, I'm sure.

the place between soi 12 and 14 has tons of korea food, but this is supposed to be a north korean place? what is the difference? also, 1350 for 4 people is alot and they didnt have an english menu? quite strange. are you sure you were not over charged? the south korean places i have been to are not as expensive and the customer base is 90% korean/farang.