Hooray, cheaper electric bills for March to May

Kan Win

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What Air con's do you have?

The beast that does the damage is the 22,000 BTU Hitachi Inverter in the 40m2 lounge office.

In a 6.30AM to 3.30PM work day (my normal hours) it swallows on average 13 units when set to a comfortable 28C bumping a normal day from 57 units to 70 odd units and adding 1,300 Baht to the monthly bill.

The room isn't well insulated, has lots of glass and all 4 walls are external. I know, but it was never really intended for daytime occupation.

50 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What Air con's do you have?

We have LGs in many rooms. We discovered if you turn on and set the temp., etc then press the 'Savings' button the electricity cost goes down around 40% (yes 40%).

But you have to press the 'Savings' button every time you turn on, not difficult.

Many other brands have the same button, maybe different word.

image.png.7f5f0085e710057d194b93340d23a63e.png

And the Room stays the same temp whilst saving 40%....Hmmm. My LG just the same doesn't, in fact its a useless feature.The rooms just get warmer.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:30 AM, petermik said:

Don,t hold your breath on the 2,000 baht....my girl friend (and the majority of her friends) have received NOWT......:whistling:

We were shocked ???? when we got our ฿2000 credit more than a week ago in Kanchanaburi. However, our discount is only 3% on the current bill. 

49 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

We were shocked ???? when we got our ฿2000 credit more than a week ago in Kanchanaburi. However, our discount is only 3% on the current bill. 

The new big discounts will not be in the system until the beginning of next month according to a previous report, however they are retroactive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else got a much larger electricity bill for April ? I got mine yesterday and our consumption went up by double. Im asked to pay 5600 THB this month. On average my consumption are about 600 units per month.  Now 1259 units. At my wife's work, the bill is more than 6000 THB as well with double consumption. Also my friend got a bill with double consumption both at work and his house. When I asked PEA, they said that its because of a very hot weather here in Rayong. I have read on internet that many people are experiencing same issue. I also checked our past bills from 2019 and 2018 and yes, it went up in April and May but only on average by 15% - 20%.

7 hours ago, megapix said:

Anyone else got a much larger electricity bill for April ? I got mine yesterday and our consumption went up by double. Im asked to pay 5600 THB this month. On average my consumption are about 600 units per month.  Now 1259 units. At my wife's work, the bill is more than 6000 THB as well with double consumption. Also my friend got a bill with double consumption both at work and his house. When I asked PEA, they said that its because of a very hot weather here in Rayong. I have read on internet that many people are experiencing same issue. I also checked our past bills from 2019 and 2018 and yes, it went up in April and May but only on average by 15% - 20%.

So you did not bother to read the earlier posts?

17 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

And the Room stays the same temp whilst saving 40%....Hmmm. My LG just the same doesn't, in fact its a useless feature.The rooms just get warmer.

We've saved a lot of cash since we were alerted to this feature by an LG guy about 18 months ago. For us it works.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

We've saved a lot of cash since we were alerted to this feature by an LG guy about 18 months ago. For us it works.

Pray tell how LG get some thing for nothing. Ive just pressed the Magic Button in the Shop. cause it works, the temp goes up.! Apart from that Snake Oil feature LG is the best of the 5 we use.New Saijo Denki Inverter being the worst.

26 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Pray tell how LG get some thing for nothing. Ive just pressed the Magic Button in the Shop. cause it works, the temp goes up.! Apart from that Snake Oil feature LG is the best of the 5 we use.New Saijo Denki Inverter being the worst.

I have no idea how the temp. could go up. Sounds strange.

I can assure you when we press the saving button the temp. stays at whatever temp. has been selected. And our bills are way under what we were paying in previous times.

I haven't studied how many units etc., the units consume because I have no knowledge how to do that and I'm not wanting to learn. I go purely by our monthly bills. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

As @pineapple01  points out It can only save electricity by raising the temperature  ie the compressor runs for less time which means less cooling..there is no other way around it  just like there is  no

"perpetual motion machine"   you have to put energy (electricity) in  to produce the cool..

therefore less energy = less cool.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, megapix said:

Anyone else got a much larger electricity bill for April ?

My April bill for this year was actually lower than last years 

2018 465 units used 1941 baht 

2019 428 units used 1770 baht  (before 3 % discount)  yes I used less units

39 minutes ago, johng said:

As @pineapple01  points out It can only save electricity by raising the temperature  ie the compressor runs for less time which means less cooling..there is no other way around it  just like there is  no

"perpetual motion machine"   you have to put energy (electricity) in  to produce the cool..

therefore less energy = less cool.

Which is true, but there are two other factors that can help.

Wind and humidity.

Windchill; wind, with the aid of fans (or setting on turbo) can lower the 'feeling' temperature but the real temperature doesn't drop.

Humidity; taking out water from the air, it is more comfortable to sit in hot air when the humidity is low.  In wet areas low temperatures can feel hot.

A little bit more electric by using fan, and having the aircon on a higher temperature can be as comfortable as no fans and the aircon on very low temperature. 

The first method will be cheaper in the end, unless fully isolated room then the latter is the best.

20 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Which is true, but there are two other factors that can help.

Wind and humidity.

Windchill; wind, with the aid of fans (or setting on turbo) can lower the 'feeling' temperature but the real temperature doesn't drop.

Humidity; taking out water from the air, it is more comfortable to sit in hot air when the humidity is low.  In wet areas low temperatures can feel hot.

A little bit more electric by using fan, and having the aircon on a higher temperature can be as comfortable as no fans and the aircon on very low temperature. 

The first method will be cheaper in the end, unless fully isolated room then the latter is the best.

I am of Little Faith. Like those stupid things in Macro they put water in and recon it cools. "Thats Good" say the fools, missing the fact Macros Air Cons is on full blast. Well Maybe marginally. My Son recons his Ear Splitting Exhaust improves performance. Comfort Costs, best way to save is good insulation, and lower false ceilings in older buildings.

42 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Yes  when the aircon is cooling  it takes moister out of the air, cooler air can hold less moister than hotter air..we can see that happen at the air con evaporator it becomes wet and there is a drainage pipe to take away the water   same as when observing a cool glass of beer "sweating" on a hot humid day

but to cool the air still requires energy (electricity)  I have found the "dry" function of my aircon  to use quite a bit more electricity than "normal"  but it does bring the humidity down to about 30% which is probably too dry !

25 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

I am of Little Faith. Like those stupid things in Macro they put water in and recon it cools.

They are only really any good in low humidity situations..I would be a bit worried about mould..maybe even legionnaires disease ?????

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 1:38 PM, Metropolitian said:

We will see what numbers they will use from February.

Mine is net metered on the 7th of each month. Which in reality is the bill from the usage of the previous 31--28 days.

If they use the bill from february, then it would be the usage from the 7th of January to the 7th of February.

For real, and with TOU users like me and the new smart meters it can, it should be the 1st of February to the 29th of February.

The bill that came in march reflect the usage of February.

Other people have their net-metering on different days.

107647.jpg.4792a903b7ce50d7d1176b20a8bc7cf5.jpg

For the record. April bill came in last week (metered on the 7th of May)

They used the values on the bill that came in March which covers the period 7th of February to the 7th of March.

30 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Just paid my bill.Only the measly 3% discount.Nothing else taken off. So all that about free electric was just rubbish then??

The free electric is only for those who hasn't used more than 90 units (90 kWh) in the last month.

Your recent bill should not more then the bill was for February (check the bill that you got in March).

If you used lower than in February, then nothing was taken off except the 3% . If the usage was more compared with February then, depending on the amount, it would be the same or a portion lesser.

Check the post (#107) earlier in this thread here:

How many units did you use in February (check bill feb./mar.) and how many units did you use in the last month?

5 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Just paid my bill.Only the measly 3% discount.Nothing else taken off. So all that about free electric was just rubbish then??

The big reduction is not shown as a discount. 
If you use more than 150 units your power was never going to be free.

What is rubbish is your understanding of the big reduction and how it works

How many units did you use in February? How much did you pay?

How many units on your current bill? How much did you pay?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

The free electric is only for those who hasn't used more than 90 units (90 kWh) in the last month.

Your recent bill should not more then the bill was for February (check the bill that you got in March).

If you used lower than in February, then nothing was taken off except the 3% . If the usage was more compared with February then, depending on the amount, it would be the same or a portion lesser.

Check the post (#107) earlier in this thread here:

How many units did you use in February (check bill feb./mar.) and how many units did you use in the last month?

Okay thanks used more in Feb so Nada for me

We have just got our current bill 

last month 655 units, paid 2,732

current bill 787 units, to pay 1,923.40

Without any reduction it should be 3,388.69

February bill 474 units 1,930.67 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We have just got our current bill 

last month 655 units, paid 2,732

current bill 787 units, to pay 1,923.40