Hooray, cheaper electric bills for March to May

Kan Win

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

fridge and freezer are both working almost constantly

Stop opening and shutting the doors all the time ????

also fill the fridge/freezer up as much as possible the less free space inside the more efficiently it works also reduces the amount of cold air that can escape every time you open the door, doesn't have to be "food"

that fill the space  I use bottles of water.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johng said:

Stop opening and shutting the doors all the time ????

also fill the fridge/freezer up as much as possible the less free space inside the more efficiently it works also reduces the amount of cold air that can escape every time you open the door, doesn't have to be "food"

that fill the space  I use bottles of water.

I do not open the doors all the time. But I do shut them all the time! 

And I do have enough bottles of liquid to keep the fridge full, not the freezer though.  That's full of bread.   PML

Edited by stouricks

There's something else going on (started a few weeks ago) where the PEA will refund the meter deposit - or something like that.  My wife said we aren't doing it because there is some kind of catch to it.  Glad I could help clear things up.  ????

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Received electric bill today (always 23rd) due for payment next month.

3% reduction reduced the record high to only 10,000 baht.

No 50% reduction for usage over 800 units recorded.

Same here! From what I have read so far is that it will be deducted and in effect from the next cycle onwards. 

3 minutes ago, rodknock said:

my electric bill up 1200baht from normal

do not tell me hot weather!!!!!!

Yeah per my earlier post, mine is up 2000.

I only use AC at night and the setting never changes, with this warmer weather I have turned off the shower heaters.

Can only assume my increased bill is from opening the fridge door to grab a beer and the hotter weather getting into the fridge.

EDIT:........... just remembered in the past month and a bit I have no mains water for days at a time and as such use water from the underground tank... my increased bill will be from the water pump.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Thanks 1

Our bill has gone down loads ,dont know about a discount ,but as our son and his girlfriend ,who both work with lots of other people are now not staying with us over the weekends,so as she has aircon 24/7 ,(their bill must be really high) ours is much lower this month .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Greyhat said:

My landlady has a history of ripping me off via electricity so I shan't hold my breath. That said, I've asked the gf to talk to her in regards to how much, if any deductions we might expect. My power bill is usually 4 to 5k a month (one aircon, only on at night), I'm hoping I don't get too much of a shock at the end of the month.

I have never understood how landlords here can charge tenants a higher rate than they are being charged by the PEA apart from including the VAT component after all I cannot see any additional cost they are incurring.

Sounds like exploitation to me.

our normal bill is between 1500 and 1800, just got the latest one for 3600, double our normal one, maybe they meant to say that they are going up in price to help with the loss of tourist money

I went to pay my bill at the PEA office today, and was told they can't accept the payment yet.  The girl said that for our consumption (600 units) the bills for March, April and May will be the same as we paid in February.  The computer system is being updated to reflect this, and credit will be given for excess money already paid.  I was told to return to the office after May 5th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Received electric bill today (always 23rd) due for payment next month.

3% reduction reduced the record high to only 10,000 baht.

No 50% reduction for usage over 800 units recorded.

As I have understood it for 800-3000 units your current bill will be compared to your February bill and you will get 50% off the difference.

Of course I might have got it wrong.

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

There's something else going on (started a few weeks ago) where the PEA will refund the meter deposit - or something like that.  My wife said we aren't doing it because there is some kind of catch to it.  Glad I could help clear things up.  ????

A common issue is that the account name has never been changed from the original property owner, perhaps even several owners ago so no way for the current consumer to claim the deposit back.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

As I have understood it for 800-3000 units your current bill will be compared to your February bill and you will get 50% off the difference.

Not what has been posted by news media - if using larger than 5 amp meter you will pay as in February if using 800 or less but if more than 800 charge will be reduced 50% on amount over 800.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

Similar but not exactly correct 

For example, if a household uses more electricity than what they used in February but does not exceed 800 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage. For households that use more than 3,000 units, a 30 percent discount applies by the same calculation.

but that doesn’t include everything so your calculations will be off a bit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, delboy said:

I went to pay my bill at the PEA office today, and was told they can't accept the payment yet.  The girl said that for our consumption (600 units) the bills for March, April and May will be the same as we paid in February.  The computer system is being updated to reflect this, and credit will be given for excess money already paid.  I was told to return to the office after May 5th.

interesting...I have been trying to pay my bill online with no success. So maybe my bill will be adjusted downward? It is bout 2000 baht more than my February bill so if I understand correctly will be reduced by 1500 baht? (usage is 1,609)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

interesting...I have been trying to pay my bill online with no success. So maybe my bill will be adjusted downward? It is bout 2000 baht more than my February bill so if I understand correctly will be reduced by 1500 baht? (usage is 1,609)

No it will be about 1,000 reduction.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage.

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have never understood how landlords here can charge tenants a higher rate than they are being charged by the PEA apart from including the VAT component after all I cannot see any additional cost they are incurring.

Sounds like exploitation to me.

In buildings where the landlord charges you separately for electricity and water, you are probably paying a higher rate because you (and everyone else in the building) are also paying for the landlord's usage.
I found that out when I was living in a Thai apartment in South Pattaya years ago. I was paying 3(+) baht a unit more than the "normal" rate and then I found out where the actual meter was (only one for the whole building).
It seems the landlord would take the bill and divide by the number of people renting apartments, not including their own or the shops they had on the ground floor (a laundry and a "mini-mart" shophouse store). The Thais in the building were paying the same as I was, probably too complicated to try and divvy up the difference.

I didn't really realize just how much extra I was paying until I moved to a house on the Darkside and my electricity bill was nearly 2,500 baht cheaper !

I'm trying to figure out what kind of weird **** the PEA is doing now.
January - 1 bill as per normal. 634 units.
February - 3 bills. 611 units (or 602). 2 printed on the same day, 1 printed the following month. 1st bill - 611 units. 2nd one seems like a correction - 9.02 units. 3rd one - 601.98 however still the same total as the original bill.
March - 2 bills. 616 units. 1 printed in March. 1 in April. Same totals on each but the April one has a notice on the bottom (something about something on 16 April).
April - 1 bill. 691 units (I was using one aircon in the den in the evenings that I normally don't use.)

Checking the prices, for the 1st 3 months I was paying an average of just over 4.05 per unit. For the last bill it works out to 4.09.

My neighbour across the street normally has a much lower bill but apparently was shocked at the last one. She was asking me about mine (which is usually 3 times as much as hers but this time was less than double). Normally, if my bill is 2,800(ish) her's is around 800 but it sounded like her last one was nearly 1,000 more than normal. (I'll ask her again to clarify as I wasn't really paying attention when I last spoke with her.)

Got to check my bank too and make sure they aren't double charging me with all those extra bills they keep printing !

Edited by Kerryd