Hooray, cheaper electric bills for March to May

Kan Win

9 minutes ago, oby said:

maybe has been answered already but my bill for this cycle was no charge for energy use.

if you look at the bill attached, i only used around 60 odd units... i believe u are allowed either 71 or 90 units free, then u pay whatever your unit charge is...  at my home, i don't use a fan, air con, washer dryer, stove, simply use lights, refrig, microwave.  i average 60-70 units/month

living close by the southern beaches is quite comfortable

april 2020 electric bill.jpg

You must be on a 5/15 meter

it is usually, under 50 units free

A customer under tariff No. 1.1 who used electricity not over 50 units per month is still get electricity free of charge until December 2015 and since January 2016, customer under tariff No. 1.1 who is not legal entity and used electricity not over 50 units per month for the subsequent 3 consecutive months can use electricity free of charge in the third month. 

That was temporarily increased to 90 units free and is going up again to 150 free units.

But if you go over the limit you pay for ALL units used

Edited by sometimewoodworker

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not what has been posted by news media - if using larger than 5 amp meter you will pay as in February if using 800 or less but if more than 800 charge will be reduced 50% on amount over 800.

And this is for March,April and May bill?so for example 

Feb 600 units March 850 units April 850 units May 850 units the the bill will be 

600 units from Feb plus 25 units (50units over 800-50%) 625 units for March,April and May?

And the March payment will be refunded?

Is this applicable to my situation? 

I'm renting a condo and the Electric+Water Bill (same note) is swiped under my door every month (adressed to the owner of my condo unit) - which I then pay buy internet bank. 

If my memory threats me well I read some websites a couple of weeks ago that I need to apply for deduction at some government websites...? And, according to this thread it's "automatic". 

Am I mixing things up? What are my options? ????

Thanks. 

21 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Quote:

Different rates of discount apply depending on the amount of units in excess of what the household consumed in their February cycle.

For example, if a household uses more electricity than what they used in February but does not exceed 800 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage.

Well, my last bill is higher but no compensation..  Wifey said something about three percent but not sure water or electric. Got both bills, both higher and nothing about discounts.

That said, it is just on the news. Nothing official on the pages at PEA/MEA only except for the 5/15 meters and not exceeding 90 units/months.

We got are bill for last month and they gave us a 3% discount. Woop woop. 

12 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

If my memory threats me well I read some websites a couple of weeks ago that I need to apply for deduction at some government websites...? And, according to this thread it's "automatic". 

The electric meter deposit has to be applied for.  The electric 3% and new discounts are automatic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oby said:

maybe has been answered already but my bill for this cycle was no charge for energy use.

if you look at the bill attached, i only used around 60 odd units... i believe u are allowed either 71 or 90 units free, then u pay whatever your unit charge is...  at my home, i don't use a fan, air con, washer dryer, stove, simply use lights, refrig, microwave.  i average 60-70 units/month

living close by the southern beaches is quite comfortable

april 2020 electric bill.jpg

Are you one of those dirty farang they talk about?

A discount wont be noticed by some of my Bull Pooping  Chang Chums. Why do their Inverter Air Cons save 40 % more than every one elses. Ferangs should be so happy when they remember the Bills we had back home. Our Bill go up about 800 Pm at holiday time, mainly the Kids not turning anything off.  If we get anything a Star will be Seen in the East !.

22 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Quote:

Different rates of discount apply depending on the amount of units in excess of what the household consumed in their February cycle.

For example, if a household uses more electricity than what they used in February but does not exceed 800 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February.

For households that consume 800-3,000 units, they will pay for the same amount they did in February, plus 50 percent of the additional units in excess of their February usage.

Well, my last bill is higher but no compensation..  Wifey said something about three percent but not sure water or electric. Got both bills, both higher and nothing about discounts.

That said, it is just on the news. Nothing official on the pages at PEA/MEA only except for the 5/15 meters and not exceeding 90 units/months.

Got the 3% off on the bill paid for month ending 19th March, 2625 baht.

Will be interesting to see if we get the newly announced deduction for the next bill due on 19th May.

As I never get anywhere near 800 units according to reports I should revert back to my Feb bill which was 1200 which will go to the entertainment fund when the bars re open.

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

And this is for March,April and May bill?so for example 

Feb 600 units March 850 units April 850 units May 850 units the the bill will be 

600 units from Feb plus 25 units (50units over 800-50%) 625 units for March,April and May?

And the March payment will be refunded?

No. Read again and try correct math, not new math. ???? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Will be interesting to see if we get the newly announced deduction for the next bill due on 19th May.

As I never get anywhere near 800 units according to reports I should revert back to my Feb bill which was 1200 which will go to the entertainment fund when the bars re open.

Correct and the overpaid amount will almost certainly be as a credit against May and future bills. 

22 hours ago, petermik said:

Don,t hold your breath on the 2,000 baht....my girl friend (and the majority of her friends) have received NOWT......:whistling:

How about reading the link:

The discounts will be automatically deducted, or refunded for those who already paid, from the bills of the following months, the energy minister said.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How about reading the link:

The discounts will be automatically deducted, or refunded for those who already paid, from the bills of the following months, the energy minister said.

Do not confuse the meter deposit, you are, with the power usage discount.

The meter deposit is paid into your bank.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Greyhat said:

My landlady has a history of ripping me off via electricity so I shan't hold my breath. That said, I've asked the gf to talk to her in regards to how much, if any deductions we might expect. My power bill is usually 4 to 5k a month (one aircon, only on at night), I'm hoping I don't get too much of a shock at the end of the month.

Are you paying the government charge which is about 4 Bt per unit, or the landladies own personal charge which could easily be double that?

18 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It reads discounts. That may or may not include a meter deposit , but I'm only interested in discount on usage. Great that it's based on my winter usage in February. Means that my March hot season bill is about halved.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

Applied retroactively? But I have already paid my March and April bill , how do I get back my refund?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
32 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It reads discounts. That may or may not include a meter deposit , but I'm only interested in discount on usage. Great that it's based on my winter usage in February. Means that my March hot season bill is about halved.

You talked about discounts not the poster you were talking about.

there are 3 things Meter deposit refund 3% discount and the new bigger discount 

you confused the refund (that you need to register to get) with the discount (automatic)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You will not get it that quickly 

We ( The GF) got the THB 2000 9 days ago, It didn't even get home I didn't even see it ????. I said that I paid it when we got the Power hooked up.It Didn't matter It got spent in the shop before She got back home.  ???? 

Edited by digger70

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

5 discount You talked about discounts not the poster you were talking about.

there are 3 things Meter deposit refund 3% discount and the new bigger discount 

you confused the refund (that you need to register to get) with the discount (automatic)

I'm not confused about anything, but thanks for caring. I'm interested in the discount (automatic) and have made no mention at all of the meter deposit refund.

On 4/23/2020 at 10:48 AM, AtlasAus said:

Well...

We are still in bill shock.... We average 1800-2000 baht a month, yesterday our bill was 6300 BAHT !!! 

Yes things are different. We have gone from 2 to 6 people during this virus. We have aircon going in the study during the day and 2 bedroom aircons going at night... The only difference is the second aircon of a night... So either it is a piece of <deleted> (we did not use it before) or someone is taking the <deleted>.... 

My Mrs is so angry she was telling anyone who would listen in our village last night, even the shop with all it;s fridges only got to 4K Baht..... 

I suggested the kids may have to have fans... oops, that was not the thing to say apparently ????

May I ask how much you pay per unit/kWh? The government price is ฿4/unit. Did you check the bill and how many kWh you used compared to last month. I'm paying the government price and my bill went up maybe ฿600,but that's because we're at home a lot more since bars/restaurants closed,and then the curfew kicked in. Imo, it's totally impossible for a ฿1800-2000 bill to go up to ฿6300 if you just added one extra air-con and are using the others more because of staying indoors a lot more. 

18 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have never understood how landlords here can charge tenants a higher rate than they are being charged by the PEA apart from including the VAT component after all I cannot see any additional cost they are incurring.

Sounds like exploitation to me.

they made a law to stop it in May 2018 which made zero difference

90% of apartments still charge 8 baht a unit upwards, and will continue to do so even with these PEA deductions 

For these proposed discounts / refunds for electricity is seems that a key factor is the size of one's meter. I have seen reference to "5 amps" being the key determiner. How does one check the capacity of one's meter? I have had a look at mine and can't see any reference to 5 amps or any other level. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

For these proposed discounts / refunds for electricity is seems that a key factor is the size of one's meter. I have seen reference to "5 amps" being the key determiner. How does one check the capacity of one's meter? I have had a look at mine and can't see any reference to 5 amps or any other level. 

Front of meter will have a rating.  5/15 or 15/45 being most common for single phase.  Most homes today have 15/45 if any air conditioning.   The 5/15 is called a 5 amp meter.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

I have had a look at mine and can't see any reference to 5 amps or any other level. 

Types can vary. This is from the label of a 15/45 as you typically find it here.

peameter.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Front of meter will have a rating.  5/15 or 15/45 being most common for single phase.  Most homes today have 15/45 if any air conditioning.  

Many thanks. Have just checked. Mine says "15/45". Does that mean I have a "5 amp" meter and am therefore eligible for these discounts?

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
30 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not confused about anything, but thanks for caring. I'm interested in the discount (automatic) and have made no mention at all of the meter deposit refund.

You did. Post 73

Enough of this nonsense. I made no mention of meters.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

Many thanks. Have just checked. Mine says "15/45". Does that mean I have a "5 amp" meter and am therefore eligible for these discounts?

You have a 15 amp meter so may get a discount over 800 units usage or pay February charge.  There are several different explanations of how discount is computed and appears office not able to perform until next month from another report.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You have a 15 amp meter so may get a discount over 800 units usage or pay February charge.  There are several different explanations of how discount is computed and appears office not able to perform until next month from another report.

Most grateful for your clarifying response. As you may have gathered, I'm not an expert on these electrical technicalities. I'll now wait and see what discount I get. Many thanks.