Hooray, cheaper electric bills for March to May

Kan Win

18 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

For these proposed discounts / refunds for electricity is seems that a key factor is the size of one's meter. I have seen reference to "5 amps" being the key determiner. How does one check the capacity of one's meter? I have had a look at mine and can't see any reference to 5 amps or any other level. 

All sizes of meter will get a discount.

very low users who have a 5/15 meter pay nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, chilly07 said:

I think Thai ladies have worked out a way to get deposits and discounts back without telling their husbands!

If the bank account that is registered is the wife’s they certainly get the deposit back, but the discount is/will be shown on the bill, so not so easy.

My gf told me yesterday that only people that have electricity Bill's up to 250bht get free. If you have a bill that's 300bht then you pay yourself. She told me who the f is having 250bht Bill's......She is in Pak Chong area

What's the deal with the meter deposit refund?  My wife started filling out the application and then tossed it.  She tried to explain some sort of caveat in taking the refund and said she didn't need it.  I trust my wife's judgement but not clear what the catch is.  ??

5 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

What's the deal with the meter deposit refund?  My wife started filling out the application and then tossed it.  She tried to explain some sort of caveat in taking the refund and said she didn't need it.  I trust my wife's judgement but not clear what the catch is.  ??

As I understand it from my other half, if you take the refund and there are any issues with the meter or supply you "pay" for the call-out and service etc.

That's how it was explained to me, she passed on it also.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

As I understand it from my other half, if you take the refund and there are any issues with the meter or supply you "pay" for the call-out and service etc.

That's how it was explained to me, she passed on it also.

That was a rumor and stated as untrue.  But there can be other issues, such as name not matching bank account name (married after getting meter and taking husbands name).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No it’s the first discount @ 3%

if you have registered for the meter deposit refund it will be more than that.  300, 2,000 or 5,000 depending on your meter.

I am not able to register for the meter  refund.

What is the 3% discount?

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That was a rumor and stated as untrue.  But there can be other issues, such as name not matching bank account name (married after getting meter and taking husbands name).  

So, I don't know for sure but seems there must have been something stated in the application because my wife read something and said she didn't need it.  Whatever.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

So, I don't know for sure but seems there must have been something stated in the application because my wife read something and said she didn't need it.  Whatever.

It does require a bank account in her name and that must also be the name on meter account from my understanding - other than that it is just a refund of your original meter deposit - believe have to have had meter one year if recall correctly.  

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not able to register for the meter  refund.

What is the 3% discount?

The 3% discount is what you got on your last bill - 3% of the bill deducted from total.  There is now an additional discount available based on meter size/February usage/amount used that will bring additional savings to about 22 million customers.

• Thanks 1

We will see what numbers they will use from February.

Mine is net metered on the 7th of each month. Which in reality is the bill from the usage of the previous 31--28 days.

If they use the bill from february, then it would be the usage from the 7th of January to the 7th of February.

For real, and with TOU users like me and the new smart meters it can, it should be the 1st of February to the 29th of February.

The bill that came in march reflect the usage of February.

Other people have their net-metering on different days.

107647.jpg.4792a903b7ce50d7d1176b20a8bc7cf5.jpg

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It does require a bank account in her name and that must also be the name on meter account from my understanding - other than that it is just a refund of your original meter deposit - believe have to have had meter one year if recall correctly.  

That wouldn't have stopped her so maybe something else then.  Cheers.

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The 3% discount is what you got on your last bill - 3% of the bill deducted from total.  There is now an additional discount available based on meter size/February usage/amount used that will bring additional savings to about 22 million customers.

Sorry I still do not understand. I know 3% of total was deducted but why/what for? Is this unrelated to the reduction based on increase over  prior usage?

And does anyone know what happens for those of us unable to register for the meter deposit refund?

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Does anyone have a Thai language version of this. My wife can't find one on Khaosod or anywhere else so doesn't believe it.

meter21.jpg.287e230c5542c4cd6b82ee93f5ec7e74.jpgmeter22.jpg.e33c5ae4c88d6de010d25e17c041a9ed.jpgmeter23.jpg.0615e3b6c55a130e95267e91c050e6ac.jpg

For your wife.

Brief explanation for here on TVF about contents of the pictures.

2.1 Not more than 800 units/month

2.2 more than 800 units and no more than 3000 units/month

2.3 3000 unit and up per month,  which is really a lot (!) for a household.

In the picture the first meter ก.พ. is February and the second is มี.ค. March, but also for April and May and let call that  'current month'.

If current month is under the 800 then your bill is the same as the one in Feb.

If the units per month are 801 and up then you are in square 2.2 .

In the picture it says :  February Units + ((Current Month-February) /2 ) = Bill

Will see what the programmers do on the next bill.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry I still do not understand. I know 3% of total was deducted but why/what for? Is this unrelated to the reduction based on increase over  prior usage?

It was the second measure for relieving the households. The meter deposit was the first one.  Now we having a third one, with the bills being the february one, or a part of it.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And does anyone know what happens for those of us unable to register for the meter deposit refund?

If it is not yours, you won't get it.

If you did the deposit, you can get it back.

If the application fails, unable to register you can still get it when you go to the office next month.

There were situation where the name of registrant deposit was different but the same as the one on the bank account, issues with the one not having but the other has the middle name.

Or the middle/first/last name in the wrong order. Even spelling mistakes.

Many has the deposit of the meter done by the previous owner, or even before them.

Like my meter deposit it was done by the first owners (4 before me) so I am not able to get it, fair as I never paid for it.

I got signals but can't confirm that I am able to change it to my name and not needing to pay the deposit.

Will look on that next month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That 3% was the first COVID-19 reduction.  It is not related to the current COVID-19 reduction based on usage/meter size.

Funds remain on deposit unless/until claim is made for meter refund AFAIK.  

• Thanks 1

I feel very uncomfortable not paying the bill asap

The house we recently moved into had the power cut and meter taken away as the previous owner owed them 100 baht for the previous month.

Then after a 6-hour wait for the meter to be returned, we gave up waiting and stayed in a hotel instead.

It was there the next morning though, TIT

24 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

It was the second measure for relieving the households. The meter deposit was the first one.  Now we having a third one, with the bills being the february one, or a part of it.

If it is not yours, you won't get it.

If you did the deposit, you can get it back.

If the application fails, unable to register you can still get it when you go to the office next month.

There were situation where the name of registrant deposit was different but the same as the one on the bank account, issues with the one not having but the other has the middle name.

Or the middle/first/last name in the wrong order. Even spelling mistakes.

Many has the deposit of the meter done by the previous owner, or even before them.

Like my meter deposit it was done by the first owners (4 before me) so I am not able to get it, fair as I never paid for it.

I got signals but can't confirm that I am able to change it to my name and not needing to pay the deposit.

Will look on that next month.

Thanks. Got it re the 3%.

My situation is that it is my meter and I paid the deposit but it was 23 years ago and at that time I did nto yet have  pink I card or tabian ban and PEA refused to provide the meter without one so used that of my then maid. She has long since left not only my employ but the province, whereabouts unknown, but her name remains on the bill though it is me that pays it.

A neighbor had told me that if you don't get the meter deposit you will get the money back gradually deducted from each bill, I gather not true? 

If anyone else is in a similiar situation re name on bill and meter deposit I'd be interested to hear.

1 minute ago, cyril sneer said:

I feel very uncomfortable not paying the bill asap

So do I, but it seems impossible to pay. The app shows 0 owed and scanning the barcode and QRS (or whatever it's called - the squiggly box thingy) does nto work. So can't pay it at 7 eleven or an ATM either.

My bill does seem to say payment due date is 2 May which is later than usual. I suppose I'll give it till the 31st or so then if still unable to pay a trip out to PEA may be unavoidable. (almost an hour  r/t).

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A neighbor had told me that if you don't get the meter deposit you will get the money back gradually deducted from each bill, I gather not true? 

If anyone else is in a similiar situation re name on bill and meter deposit I'd be interested to hear.

Have not heard that but would be nice - we have name change (wife obtained maiden name) so can not claim online and from experience at office to start direct debit from bank account it not worth trying to do in person (after lockdown).

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

so used that of my then maid.

Then she would be able to get the deposit back and only on her bank account that is in her name. She can do that online by filling in her data.

You can't get it back directly but without her help and her to transfer it from her bank account to yours.

As she is gone, so is the deposit.

Sorry, especially when in fact you did pay the deposit back then.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My situation is that it is my meter and I paid the deposit but it was 23 years ago and at that time I did nto yet have  pink I card or tabian ban and PEA refused to provide the meter without one so used that of my then maid. She has long since left not only my employ but the province, whereabouts unknown, but her name remains on the bill though it is me that pays it.

It is very unlikely that with your present situation you can get a refund.

You may be able to have the account transferred into your name now.

It is faintly possible (not probable) that if you can transfer the deposit will transfer. If you can, and if it does, you have a chance but not much.

there is nothing about any other than full amount into a bank account.

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Don't have good news about that, I'm afraid.

I have 2 houses next to each other. Both have 3 phase electricity and so the meter deposit is 12,000 per house. I had one of the staff from my office handle the refund for me. One of the houses has the electricity bill in my name and I got the deposit back a couple of days ago. For the other house, the bill is in a previous owners name - not the person that I bought it from and I have no idea who they are, even if they are still alive. According to my staff, there is no chance of a refund with out cooperation from the account holder.

I haven't heard anything about a gradual refund.

50 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Don't have good news about that, I'm afraid.

I have 2 houses next to each other. Both have 3 phase electricity and so the meter deposit is 12,000 per house. I had one of the staff from my office handle the refund for me. One of the houses has the electricity bill in my name and I got the deposit back a couple of days ago. For the other house, the bill is in a previous owners name - not the person that I bought it from and I have no idea who they are, even if they are still alive. According to my staff, there is no chance of a refund with out cooperation from the account holder.

I haven't heard anything about a gradual refund.

As feared, alas. I have 100 amp meter, it was a large deposit

Is there any value in having unrefunded deposit? I also read soemwhere that it entitles one to ree repair/replacement of the meter if any issue whereas if refunded you pay yourself, any truth to that?

56 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is very unlikely that with your present situation you can get a refund.

You may be able to have the account transferred into your name now.

It is faintly possible (not probable) that if you can transfer the deposit will transfer. If you can, and if it does, you have a chance but not much.

there is nothing about any other than full amount into a bank account.

I have documents showing that I, and only I, am the owner for this house since the date the meter was installed, might that help? (Chanote and land lease).

On 4/23/2020 at 2:24 PM, Crossy said:

Have you checked the meter reading, our bill is well up with me working from home but nothing like that percentage.

What Air con's do you have?

We have LGs in many rooms. We discovered if you turn on and set the temp., etc then press the 'Savings' button the electricity cost goes down around 40% (yes 40%).

But you have to press the 'Savings' button every time you turn on, not difficult.

Many other brands have the same button, maybe different word.

image.png.7f5f0085e710057d194b93340d23a63e.png

• Like 1