Koh Samui: Could be worse! Stranded tourists enjoying "beautiful" Samui beach

webfact

Koh Samui: Could be worse! Stranded tourists enjoying "beautiful" Samui beach

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager

Manager's reporters went to Koh Samui's famed Chaweng Beach yesterday and found an idyllic scene. 

The water was crystal clear and the beach was all but deserted. 

There was a sign put up warning about swimming and congregating. 

6pm2.jpg

Manager said there were about 20 stranded foreign tourists on a several kilometer stretch of Samui's "most beautiful beach".

They were all observing social distancing and some were swimming. 

They spoke to a female British tourist who said she was stranded after Samui and Suvarnabhumi flights were cancelled. She understood the regulations and hoped to come back to Thailand after all this was over.

563000004336505.jpg

Things were not so comfortable for a Som Tam (Papaya Salad) seller called Thawisa, 42, who has been selling her wares on the beach for ten years. 

She said that coming out to sell what she could was a matter of life and death. 

She had been waiting for a long time for the 5,000 government handout but was still "waiting for approval".

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-23

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

What is the relationship between swimming alone on a deserted beach and Coronavirus? 

beats me, I saw news that they closed the beaches in Phetchaburi where I live and since this all started I don't think I ever saw more than 5 people (total, not together) on the 2.5km stretch in the busiest part of the beach

I'd agree with restrictions of groups, say no more than idk 3-5 people but swimming alone? come on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

It would be nice if the geniuses in charge of other provinces allowed us to go to the beach and social distance instead of closing the beaches.  

This could be a good money spinner for the bib if they fine anyone for violating the 2 metre rule, while still allowing people to enjoy the beaches responsibly.

It would be good...but people just can't be trusted. Again today on Jomtien beach/boulevard..people in small groups again with no distancing and masks hanging round their necks..worse still rompoo, saw 6 different groups of foreigners congregating and drinking

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It would be good...but people just can't be trusted. Again today on Jomtien beach/boulevard..people in small groups again with no distancing and masks hanging round their necks..worse still rompoo, saw 6 different groups of foreigners congregating and drinking

If the bib were doing their job, they could be pulling in a nice income for themselves.  Same applies to the beaches, get out, do you job and ensure people keep their distance.  Hit people with jail or 100K, they'll keep their distance pretty quick.

6 hours ago, steelepulse said:

It would be nice if the geniuses in charge of other provinces allowed us to go to the beach and social distance instead of closing the beaches.  

This could be a good money spinner for the bib if they fine anyone for violating the 2 metre rule, while still allowing people to enjoy the beaches responsibly.

Ours are officially off-limits, but the other day I spotted a smattering of walkers, swimmers and sunbathers blithely defying the ban.

Maybe they didn't even know there was one. Or maybe they did and didn't care.

The thought made me smile. And the sight of a few people behaving normally at such a grossly abnormal juncture in all our lives gladdened my heart as well as eyes.

The sooner the "new normal" is over, the better!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Coronavirus -> Feces -> Ocean -> Aerosolised by waves -> Person walking alone on beach inhales

Any more questions? ????

Love the script. Can't wait to see the movie!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

This is satire, right?

22 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:
On 4/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, Tchooptip said:

What is the relationship between swimming alone on a deserted beach and Coronavirus

Coronavirus -> Feces -> Ocean -> Aerosolised by waves -> Person walking alone on beach inhales

Any more questions?

Yes, just one, where can aerosolised [sic] ocean be bought?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Tchooptip said:

What is the relationship between swimming alone on a deserted beach and Coronavirus? 

None at all, but the reason I heard was that they fear that if they allow people on the beach and swim etc hundreds of thousands will go there and mingle.

IMO it's more about power mad officials than common sense. Certainly no shortage of them around the world now.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:52 PM, webfact said:

Things were not so comfortable for a Som Tam (Papaya Salad) seller called Thawisa, 42, who has been selling her wares on the beach for ten years. 

Those that can't go back to the village are going to have a hard time of it. In a country with extraordinarily rich people, there seems to be a huge lack of social responsibility by the rich towards poor Thais. Shame on them.