Australian, American among four charged for ‘Abandoned Phuket Zoo’ post

webfact

i've not read the full details, but some predictions: -

2 non-Thais will be deported after paying a bailout, blacklisted for 10 years

2 Thais = jailterm or wai500

Zoo owner told to use donation money to take care of animals

Zoo still closes, most of the animals die, owner retires

Summary - Covid-19 to blame

Story was completely different from the national news sources.  Or the people that broke the story.  Looks like damage control and strings being pulled now to make the good sameritans into the evil empire.

Richard Barrow has all the original stories and links if interested in seeing the original story.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Why is the gov't going to help the zoo feed the animals? Perhaps better to feed the starving people and let a private entity take care of it's own obligations.

Because, as you said, (a) it's a private zoo, (b) the animals are already being fed and (c) they haven't been abandoned.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

So the owner of the zoo a banded the animals the animals are not being taken care of or fed how come the please are going after the Thai owner for not taking care of his animals TIT

Even though the real facts were in the link to the OP, you still managed to get it 100% the wrong way around.  The animals have not been abandoned, they are being fed and they are being taken care of, that's why the owner does not face any action.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

And people wonder why nobody dares talk about the fictitious Chinese flu figures!

There aren't many people who are not talking about the fictitious Chinese infection/death rates of Covid-19!

If you have some evidence of another country's (Thailand's?) figures being fictitious lets hear it otherwise you could be in the same boat as those four in the OP.

18 hours ago, Snackbar said:

Wait for the ‘go fund me page’.

Oh dear, there’s a price to pay for being arrogant and stupid in this part of the world.

These clowns are headed for The Monkey House. 

... and the reptile house and the elephant house ... and ... and.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Marcus Atwood said:

You must have a poor understanding of how Thailand works.

a ) Only poor people spend time in the The Monkey House. Thailand literally has the most relaxed legal system on planet Earth. It borders on comical. This group has already made $45k via GoFundMe so they are likely doing a deal with the police, 50/50 split. Police will get half the proceeds.

b ) I can't speak for the other nationalities but no one would dare put an American in the Monkey House for a significant amount of time over something as small as this. The only way an American spends any length of time in prison in Thailand is if they commit a "very serious" crime. But even then, it's doubtful. A million baht fine and everything goes away and it's extremely likely the US government would pay up. America has a "no man left behind" policy regardless of how scummy you are. Americans are untouchable. Pretty much. Hands off the USA mate. You might not like it but it's just reality.

Unbelievable drivel from an ''exeptional'' one, '' Americans are untouchable. Pretty much. Hands off the USA mate. You might not like it but it's just reality.'' no it's not reality, it's just in your tiny mind, you surely can't believe what you have just posted.

• Like 1

Ok so we have confirmed it's a disgusting zoo.  But I am still not sure about the gofundme account. Sorry, but too many scammers around. 

$45000 now in the account and they have not spend anything of it yet, what about trying to buy food for the animals?  How can we be sure they will not use it to live in Thailand?  

17 hours ago, drgoon said:

Most of the comments I see on this topic are the usual dip<deleted> haters who sound as though they have no better thing in their pitiful lives than to spout the usual negative <deleted> over and over. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

The little that can be seen of the inside of the enclosures and the physical appearance of that tiger is appalling. That place is a disgrace as are a number of 'zoos' in Thailand.

I think these people are genuine in the concern for the animals in this zoo. It looks like they have more concern than the owner in their mansion.

If I get censured or banned by the mods for this post...  good bloody job. TV News is turning into a whinge fest. There are very good parts to TV but this part....  pfft

Agreed, they are just trying to help them poor animals with their own money to buy food(they have not touch the donations yet). At least they are actually trying to help instead of some asswipes keyboard warrior sittin on their fat over previliges <deleted> trying to be the wise n all knowin better than everyone else, top dog <deleted> just yapping advise nobody wants.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, balo said:

Ok so we have confirmed it's a disgusting zoo.  But I am still not sure about the gofundme account. Sorry, but too many scammers around. 

$45000 now in the account and they have not spend anything of it yet, what about trying to buy food for the animals?  How can we be sure they will not use it to live in Thailand?  

You can see them buying food in the video's 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You can see them buying food in the video's

Yes, but that is their own money, not from the Gofundme account. According to them they have not touched the money yet. 

On 4/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, EricTh said:

Who appointed these people to collect donation for the animals? Obviously, most of the donations will go to them instead of the animals.

People should donate directly to the zoo instead of scammers like these.

I'm sure it is listed either on this forum or elsewhere that the zoo or owner is bankrupt.

You are welcome to send your money to the zoo..  instead of these 'scammers' as you call them. 

Looking at the conditions of the animals and the zoo grounds, I'm sure the owner would welcome any assistance you could offer.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:27 PM, BritManToo said:

It is in Phuket, a largely Muslim area.

I know that... it's still an Arabic name nonetheless. Google it and see the faces that pop up... 

[My gf is Muslim Indonesian, and in her country, having an Arabic name like this denotes recent Arabic ancestry … not sure about Thailand. All I know is that the Muslim Thais I've met do not have Arabic family names. Anyway, it's neither here nor there - I was only responding to a poster who suggested that the Aussie was somehow not 'really' Aussie because he had a Vietnamese name... knocking the same logic back at him/her re the Thai in this incident]   

Edited by Docno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Correct me if im wrong but anyone who declared bankrupt cannot accept money or payments?

I'm not sure about Thailand...  my comment was sarcasm, not a serious suggestion

On 4/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't need to read posts from unpleasant people who hate animals.

On ignore.

Not sure if he cares either way about animals. Just on an anti-'interfering foreigner' trolling mission.

Edited by katatonic