Covid-19: Domestic flights set to return May 1st - but its flying with a virus twist

webfact

51 minutes ago, lujanit said:

If these requirements are followed by the airlines the planes will be half empty.  Airlines are not knowingly going to operate flights that produce huge losses.  So the questions becomes how expensive will a seat be.

I would say much less than half capacity - try 30-40% of the seating. Given the budget carriers like Airasia have a row of 3 seats in 2 meters what is classed as safe social distancing.  To ensure this safe minus distance they shall need to reconfigure the seating layout on all single aisle aircraft.

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

More work for you then ????.

Given my limited budget can I ask if you are rated for a Sopwith Camel?

No taildragger time! Social distancing on aircraft is a nonstarter. Only working in USA now as there is about 15 percent load factor on domestic flights even though most of the schedule already cut. Up to 90 percent on the major airlines. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

So if I was flying from Chiang Rai to Nan with my wife we would have to sit apart eh.  A bit like K bank the other day , my wife thought the middle seat was broken , no just not allowed to sit there.

Not really a big deal is it?  I know many who would love to be seated apart for much longer periods than a domestic flight in Thailand. lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Might as well insist everyone rent a private business jet. 

Your hired as my pilot, just let me swap this 24 pack of Toilet paper and a case of whisky for that G6, and we are off to fantasy land.....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 19DL86 said:

I would say much less than half capacity - try 30-40% of the seating. Given the budget carriers like Airasia have a row of 3 seats in 2 meters what is classed as safe social distancing.  To ensure this safe minus distance they shall need to reconfigure the seating layout on all single aisle aircraft.

Based on the diagram it would appear that you would have 2 passengers per aisle in alternate window and aisle seats.  So, this would mean that the aircraft would have one-third or less the former capacity with one aisle reserved for those with possible health issues. Will ticket prices triple?  What about families with infants or small children? Impossible to travel now? For me, airports were stressful enough pre-COVID-19. Who would want to travel for leisure under these conditions? I find it very difficult to be that the budget airlines that have sprouted over the years can be profitable under these conditions. Time will tell. What is clear is that the world has changed and will remain changed until there is a vaccine - and maybe even after that!

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Like 1