Covid-19: Domestic flights set to return May 1st - but its flying with a virus twist

webfact

14 hours ago, JoeMc said:

One might argue that social distancing is a European thing where masks are not worn ..full masked then debatable about having 'empty' seats .. guess they will also temperature check before boarding..

The coronavirus particles are 1,000nth of a mm wide. How effective do you think a flimsy, lose fitting, porous face mask really is? Unless you are wearing a sealed medical mask with effective filtering and fully sealed goggles the face masks are pretty useless protecting you. The only thing they can do is reduce some droplets from people who have the virus and are coughing but still not really fully effective. Health care workers on the frontline NHS in the UK are wearing perspex shields over surgical face masks, however they are not sealed and not 100% safe which is why over 100 workers here have still died of the virus. The only way to be sure you don't get it is to stay indoors. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Domestic flights may resume on May 1, but under strict conditions

By The Nation

800_c7e4643eb27aaf9.jpg?v=1587654537

If provinces where tourist destinations are located start lifting their restrictions next month, then airlines will be allowed to resume domestic flight services but only under strict conditions.

Chula Sukmanop, director-general of the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), said on Thursday (April 23) that he has met with representatives of both local and international airlines to discuss the option of allowing domestic flights to start operating from May 1.

“Though the Covid-19 outbreak appears to be subsiding and carriers are preparing to resume operations, every airline is required to strictly follow every disease prevention rule,” he said. 

It is mandatory for airlines to observe the following rules once they resume services: 

• The province of the destination should have eased restrictions.

• Passengers can only occupy every other seat.

• Social distancing must be strictly observed at check-in counters and during embarking and disembarking.

• No food or drink can be served on the flight.

• Special seats must be reserved for risky passengers for routes longer than 90 minutes.

• Crew members must wear masks, face shields and gloves. 

• Passengers are required to always wear a mask.

Passengers need to have their own mask and are not allowed to bring food on the plane. For flights that are longer than 90 minutes, airlines must reserve seats at the back of the plane for passengers who show symptoms of Covid-19, he said. 

Chula added that travellers will have to check flights and timetables with the airlines directly as not all routes will be open. They can also monitor the latest updates about Covid-19 cases at the CAAT website, www.caat.or.th/corona.

So far, Air Asia is the only airline that has indicated it will resume flights on May 1, while Lion Air has said it will wait for the government’s decision on whether or not to extend the state of emergency. Some government officials have signalled that a few restrictions may be eased though the state of emergency may be extended beyond April 30.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/business/30386650

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-24

No food or drink?  I guess these are all flights within a country...I'll wait.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So much bad information out there. How does bringing your own food endanger anyone? If I eat a sandwich, I will spread a disease, which I do not have to begin with?

Tom (truck driver), Dick (brick layer), and Harry (plumber) will be forced to wear mask throughout the flights. How can somebody eat with masks on? But Tom, Dick., and Harry's peaunut brains won't understand that. With food in their pocket, they will take the maskes out and eat. And that is the reason food is not allowed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mulambana said:

Tom (truck driver), Dick (brick layer), and Harry (plumber) will be forced to wear mask throughout the flights. How can somebody eat with masks on? But Tom, Dick., and Harry's peaunut brains won't understand that. With food in their pocket, they will take the maskes out and eat. And that is the reason food is not allowed. 

You can never under estimate the lowest common denominator... Don't want to go off topic but I have just heard the news and seen the Trump statement suggesting the doctors test how we can utilise Disinfectant and UV light to tackle the virus... He suggests we can look at injecting disinfectant to "clean" the lungs... hahahahahha! you could not make it up... Stay safe..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So much bad information out there. How does bringing your own food endanger anyone? If I eat a sandwich, I will spread a disease, which I do not have to begin with? There is an astonishing degree of insanity happening, and a real zombie apocalypse mentality setting in. 

The social distancing on planes will be an absolute delight. 

In flight entertainment?

9 hours ago, johno49 said:

Maybe not expensive to you but some of us are on a fixed income, like pensions

If you have no need to fly, or time constraints, plus cannot afford the plane fares then there are many trains and buses to chose from

22 hours ago, webfact said:

For flights that are longer than 90 minutes, airlines must reserve seats at the back of the plane for passengers who show symptoms of Covid-19, he said. 

So they imagine the symptoms could magically materialize during the flight? 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, JoePai said:

Domestic fares are not expensive so even doubling the price will not affect those who need to fly

I don't know which domestic air fares you are referring to, but certainly not Bangkok Airways which are already more then double any other airline, not to mention their monopoly to and from Samui.

A couple of days ago a similar proposal was made to airlines in the UK and Ireland.  Easy Jet are not sure about accepting the restrictions but Ryan Air said they would not fly because nothing was said about flying outside of UK and Irish air space,  While they do fly to many locations within the confines given, they would not be able to completely maintain proper service and have rejected the policy.

'nuf sed. 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

The CAAT - Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand - are demanding that all flights have empty seats so that social distancing can be accomplished. 

And that will be the end of the airline industry.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

Domestic flights may resume on May 1, but under strict conditions

By The Nation

800_c7e4643eb27aaf9.jpg?v=1587654537

If provinces where tourist destinations are located start lifting their restrictions next month, then airlines will be allowed to resume domestic flight services but only under strict conditions.

Chula Sukmanop, director-general of the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), said on Thursday (April 23) that he has met with representatives of both local and international airlines to discuss the option of allowing domestic flights to start operating from May 1.

“Though the Covid-19 outbreak appears to be subsiding and carriers are preparing to resume operations, every airline is required to strictly follow every disease prevention rule,” he said. 

It is mandatory for airlines to observe the following rules once they resume services: 

• The province of the destination should have eased restrictions.

• Passengers can only occupy every other seat.

• Social distancing must be strictly observed at check-in counters and during embarking and disembarking.

• No food or drink can be served on the flight.

• Special seats must be reserved for risky passengers for routes longer than 90 minutes.

• Crew members must wear masks, face shields and gloves. 

Passengers need to have their own mask and are not allowed to bring food on the plane. For flights that are longer than 90 minutes, airlines must reserve seats at the back of the plane for passengers who show symptoms of Covid-19, he said. 

Chula added that travellers will have to check flights and timetables with the airlines directly as not all routes will be open. They can also monitor the latest updates about Covid-19 cases at the CAAT website, www.caat.or.th/corona.

So far, Air Asia is the only airline that has indicated it will resume flights on May 1, while Lion Air has said it will wait for the government’s decision on whether or not to extend the state of emergency. Some government officials have signalled that a few restrictions may be eased though the state of emergency may be extended beyond April 30.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/business/30386650

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-24

Distancing seems a little unnecessary when as many as 6 people can be in a car,  a number of passengers on a motorcycle. How close can one get.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:04 AM, spidermike007 said:

So much bad information out there. How does bringing your own food endanger anyone? If I eat a sandwich, I will spread a disease, which I do not have to begin with? There is an astonishing degree of insanity happening, and a real zombie apocalypse mentality setting in. 

The social distancing on planes will be an absolute delight. 

I think they think that food brought onto the plane could  be 'takeaway' and therefore possibly infected by the food vendor.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:46 PM, Somtamnication said:

Can't wait for the govt. to demand a health passport prior to boarding.

issued by your own Home Country Health Service and countersign by the Thai Embassy in your home country???  Well, based on past experiences it will be something intelligent like that

22 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Can you eat a sandwich or any food through a mask? To be honest I haven't tried. But therein lies the answer I suspect on any for food or drink consumption on a plane????

I think spidermike007 has probably got the message from all those that posted the same thing before you.

22 hours ago, stouricks said:

At 0.50 it says 'no cabin bags allowed' and the next shot shows a guy boarding with a backpack. Doooooh !

It's these big stupid rollaboards that are banned.  Laptop bag, hand bag, backpack etc are OK but you have to read the small print to know this.

17 hours ago, SilverBeast said:

No food or drink?  I guess these are all flights within a country...I'll wait.

Do you understand what domestic flights are?

Edited by treetops

5 hours ago, rosst said:

Absolutely ridiculous OTT requirements, typical Thailand. 

Now we know why Thai Airways will go down the potty. Good riddance, stand in line, not too close now, for your monthly B5,000.00 gov handout.

They could not make a profit flying with a full aircraft, so now with empty seats, (deleted deleted deleted), well I will not even go after that conversation...

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

I think they think that food brought onto the plane could  be 'takeaway' and therefore possibly infected by the food vendor.

They do not want people removing their masks to eat or drink, so no food or beverages on the flight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SunsetT said:

And how would that effect anyone on the plane, other than the passenger who was eating it? How is that making anyone safer? I understand the whole mask concept. That is a reasonable argument. 

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And how would that effect anyone on the plane, other than the passenger who was eating it? How is that making anyone safer? I understand the whole mask concept. That is a reasonable argument. 

The eater touching contaminated food/wrapping then touching anywhere on the airplane; armrests, & headrests touched standing and disembarking, overhead luggage doors, toilet door handles, seat, taps, etc...

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1