Life in America Sucks

13 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Why then, aside from a few adventurous English teachers, diplomats and cheap charlie retirees do Asian countries only attract a trickle of foreigners wishing to stay,

Two reasons,

1. Most people aren't all that adventurous, and never live outside their own country (armed forces doesn't count).

2. The rest don't have the funding to do it.

13 minutes ago, drbeach said:

And life in Thailand, especially as a foreigner is somehow better you think?

I'm not sure it's better,

But it's certainly easier for an old guy to bang a much younger woman.

If your main interests are Opera and Theatre ...... it'd be much worse.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not everyone wants to live in Bangkok, so why compare prices with there?

Price of 3 bed detached house anywhere in UK 250,000 pounds, price of similar house anywhere in Thailand 40,000 pounds.

You missed the entire point~

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

That's so true, Germans do talk about their health a lot.  And living in Germany you do have to get out, you can't stay in Germany all the time, like you could in the US. I went back there and had to leave after 10 ten years, it just got too boring.

In terms of variety of country like I said initially the US is blessed beyond measure, with Hawaii, mountain areas, desert, skiing, Caribbean options, urban variety. Always wanted to see the South.

And yes, you can buy anything at all in the US, I meant more the general standards, what you'd typically find. The general standard is highly standardised in the US, even if you can buy anything at all. And Germany's living standard is perhaps a bit higher in a few minor things, but it's a fair point, the US has advantages in other areas. I accept that.

I wouldn't mind having a bug mug of beer in a Munich beer garden right now however. As I said I really like Germany. To get a better pic of variety you sort of have to compare the USA to Europe as a whole. You can have lunch in Utrecht and be in Dusseldorf for dinner and it is completely different.

Fortunately for everybody we can go to all of these places no matter where we are from. A lot of these types of threads and arguments about which is best come from people who are stuck in just one. Now they have to justify their existence.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I am on the road in the US booking an airbnb is not an option as it is a spontaneous thing. A crappy airbnb in a city like Miami or LA, starts at $100 a nite. I get a great hotel in Bangkok for $60. Comparable to what I would pay $250 for in any major city in the US. If you are in areas like California it is hard to find a crappy motel room for under $100 anymore. Though the expected "Covid economic reset" might change all that!

How much is the Marriott in Bangkok?

9 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Around 6,000 Baht last time I stayed there for the one near Thong Lor. I imagine you would get a much better deal now.

Also he says he is on business when he travels in the USA. So presumably he is making money and that offsets the cost because of the opportunity being there represents.

Does business pick up his hotel bills in Thailand? For example if I want to attend an industry conference in SF for a tech company do I expect that a $60 room would be the norm? Of course not.

Thailand has an absolute glut of hotels is why the price is low. they also have relatively small or few major events. 

Edited by Cryingdick

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

All five stars seem to cost about the same worldwide. Though I am not even sure the Marriott is considered a five star in the US. But, in Thailand you have superb four star hotels, that are as good as I need them to be. And at $60 a nite they are a wonderful value. Cannot find real value in the declining US of A. Not anymore. Well maybe due to Covid now. Epicenter bargains. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

All five stars seem to cost about the same worldwide. Though I am not even sure the Marriott is considered a five star in the US. But, in Thailand you have superb four star hotels, that are as good as I need them to be. And at $60 a nite they are a wonderful value. Cannot find real value in the declining US of A. Not anymore. Well maybe due to Covid now. Epicenter bargains. 

Can you show me one Thai hotel that is that good for $60 a night?

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Can you show me one Thai hotel that is that good for $60 a night?

Check out the Davis Hotel and the Bless Hotel in Bangkok. I am hesitant to even mention them, as they are well kept secrets. Little gems. Top end of four stars. Amazing rooms. $250 to $400 a nite for similar in the US. 

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Check out the Davis Hotel and the Bless Hotel in Bangkok. I am hesitant to even mention them, as they are well kept secrets. Little gems. Top end of four stars. Amazing rooms. $250 to $400 a nite for similar in the US. 

That's called business. Did you make some bank staying at the Mariott, West Hollywood? You seem to go to the most expensive and uninteresting areas in America and compare it to simplistic places.

I have stayed at The Davis it's okay.

Edited by Cryingdick

No one gives a flying <deleted> what a Marriott hotel room costs

The point is that you aren't getting anywhere here in the US with out a ton of money to invest into a business, real estate, equities.  Even Trump wouldn't have gotten to where he was without the small loan of a million dollars.

America sucks to work in.  To live in if you could call it living.  No time off.  No sick pay without some impossible to obtain covid19 test.  Got sick? Go bankrupt unless you have top tier health coverage.  Overpriced housing costs and extremely bloated prices for goods and services.  I seriously hate it here.

• Sad 1

Just now, sukhumvitneon said:

The point is that you aren't getting anywhere here in the US with out a ton of money to invest into a business, real estate, equities.  Even Trump wouldn't have gotten to where he was without the small loan of a million dollars.

Plenty of money to be made selling drugs.

The big money was never made by honest working people.

To succeed in the US, you've got to be positive, have a good idea, be willing to stretch or break laws, have access to capital, and possibly be willing to go mafia on your competition. Just like Thailand. Just think like a Thai or any foreigner who comes to the US from a developing nation. If everything fails on your way to success, you can just try to rob a bank and with that you will make a lot of cash or you'll get free room, housing and healthcare in a prison for retirement because of the liberal attitude of westerners who tend to see even criminals as victims. 

26 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

No one gives a flying <deleted> what a Marriott hotel room costs

America sucks to work in.  To live in if you could call it living.  No time off.  No sick pay without some impossible to obtain covid19 test.  Got sick? Go bankrupt unless you have top tier health coverage.  Overpriced housing costs and extremely bloated prices for goods and services.  I seriously hate it here.

Have a nice day.

• Haha 1