Learning To Ride Manual Motorcycle

Hi Everyone, 

I'm wondering if any of you can offer up some advice on the best way I can go about learning to ride a manual motorcycle (how to use the various gears etc).

I already know how to drive the typical automatic scooter that U can rent on the islands/chiang mai, but I've been long interested in learning to ride manual as I reside in Thailand or Vietnam. 

Wondering what's the best way to go about that whilst living in BKK? 

Thanks, 

32 minutes ago, transam said:

When I was a kid, everything was manual, we just jumped on them and learned. Just get yourself to a quiet area and go for it. Doesn't take long, if you still have a bit of adventure in you....:stoner:

Hahahah no a bad idea. Might do that. Rent one and go somewhere quiet. 

A few months ago I went from driving a twist and go automatic to a much larger (in terms of cc) and heavier, manual motorcycle.

You haven't actually said what type of manual you are thinking of purchasing so maybe the size/weight factors that I initially struggled with don't apply in your case.

If possible, as post #2 says, try to find a quiet place to practice first and the first thing I would practice is stopping and starting. May sound boring but it really is important to get the feel of the clutch, slowly releasing it until you get the feel of where it starts to engage the gears. Just keep doing that, going 15-20 metres and then stopping without actually changing up from first gear. Gets you used to where the "friction zone" is and pulling in the clutch when you are slowing down to a stop.

If you have a centre stand, you can practice getting a feel for the clutch with the bike on the centre stand.  

• Like 2

As long as you're modest enough to fail, and/or ask some advice, and you have a bike that can suffer some damage from the occasional drop, you will have a lot of fun learning. Try on a smaller bike first.

You might benefit from trying a Honda Wave/Dream or similar first (gears but no clutch) to do it in stages.

Enjoy the learning curve and the freedom of riding a proper bike!

I learned on a geared bike, and now have auto car/bikes, but will never forget or love the manuals.

not the smartest thing I have done but in about 2016 I went and got myself a CB500F from Surat Thani.

took the overnight train down from Hua Hin and landed there around 7am, gave the money to the chap after inspecting the bike for clear damage

when I then told him I had never driven one of those, he seemed concerned. lol

I had never driven manual big bike before but I had driven a Honda Wave extensively, it helped a little bit but also made me do mistakes

for example, with a Honda Wave you can stop at a light and be in 5th gear and no problem, can down shift after stopped.

well I wasn't aware that a manual bike would stall so.. at every single lights I stalled until I figured it out.

anyways, I had to get back to Phetchaburi before 3pm for an appointment so I drove the 500kms, a lot of it in the rain (on my first time on a manual bike)

coming from a Honda Wave, switching the gears was like 5% of it.. not stalling when leaving a light was 90%.

I was always scared of giving it too much RPM and going on a wheelie

would I suggest doing that on highways? no. but!

I made it alive and apart from looking like an idiot stalling at green (AND a few red lights) then I'm still alive

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

A few months ago I went from driving a twist and go automatic to a much larger (in terms of cc) and heavier, manual motorcycle.

You haven't actually said what type of manual you are thinking of purchasing so maybe the size/weight factors that I initially struggled with don't apply in your case.

If possible, as post #2 says, try to find a quiet place to practice first and the first thing I would practice is stopping and starting. May sound boring but it really is important to get the feel of the clutch, slowly releasing it until you get the feel of where it starts to engage the gears. Just keep doing that, going 15-20 metres and then stopping without actually changing up from first gear. Gets you used to where the "friction zone" is and pulling in the clutch when you are slowing down to a stop.

If you have a centre stand, you can practice getting a feel for the clutch with the bike on the centre stand.  

To be quite honest... I dont know much as to what type of manual it would be. Since im a beginner I'd go for 150cc most likely. 

Thank U for the advice , ill work on stopping/starting to get a feel of things. Much appreciated

1 hour ago, 2long said:

As long as you're modest enough to fail, and/or ask some advice, and you have a bike that can suffer some damage from the occasional drop, you will have a lot of fun learning. Try on a smaller bike first.

You might benefit from trying a Honda Wave/Dream or similar first (gears but no clutch) to do it in stages.

Enjoy the learning curve and the freedom of riding a proper bike!

I learned on a geared bike, and now have auto car/bikes, but will never forget or love the manuals.

Awesome, this is very helpful and I agree, definitely think I should be asking for help if needed (which I think it is). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

not the smartest thing I have done but in about 2016 I went and got myself a CB500F from Surat Thani.

took the overnight train down from Hua Hin and landed there around 7am, gave the money to the chap after inspecting the bike for clear damage

when I then told him I had never driven one of those, he seemed concerned. lol

I had never driven manual big bike before but I had driven a Honda Wave extensively, it helped a little bit but also made me do mistakes

for example, with a Honda Wave you can stop at a light and be in 5th gear and no problem, can down shift after stopped.

well I wasn't aware that a manual bike would stall so.. at every single lights I stalled until I figured it out.

anyways, I had to get back to Phetchaburi before 3pm for an appointment so I drove the 500kms, a lot of it in the rain (on my first time on a manual bike)

coming from a Honda Wave, switching the gears was like 5% of it.. not stalling when leaving a light was 90%.

I was always scared of giving it too much RPM and going on a wheelie

would I suggest doing that on highways? no. but!

I made it alive and apart from looking like an idiot stalling at green (AND a few red lights) then I'm still alive

Haha sounds so awesome, especially the trip. Yea i definitely think I'll need a helping hand as im not even as experienced as U it seems. Glad youre still alive. Lol

Nice to hear that you're honest and humble. I've taught my kids ( all 4 of em ) to drive manual motorbikes and cars. I start them out by learning the controls and if the bike has a center stand you can start it and practice shifting up and down statically then repeat with the engine running. ( Make sure you're pointing away from objects especially cars or other motorbike ) but the safest is face the bike up next to a wall ( front tire touching the wall) ...My oldest sun got loose the first try once and T-boned my new pickup ! Then I would sit on the  back and start out with them controlling the throttle,  brake and clutch but I would be lightly guarding the controls.....after a few successful starts and most important Stops the instructor gets off and you solo....Local temples usually have a good open car park to practice ....have fun !

• Like 1

I learned to ride a motorbike by 'borrowing' the vicar's old 2 stroke (a James I think it was) and riding it around the church graveyard! I did bump into a couple or grave stones but I never knocked them over (honestly vicar) I must have been around 14 or 15 at the time.

But we didn't have the internet then did we? So I wouldn't have had access to this excellent website, which describes, in detail, how to use the gears, both on a manual and a semi-auto.

I would suggest you have a good study of it, starting with the semi-auto, then go and rent yourself a Honda Wave or similar. (I think all of these step through's are semi auto) Then go somewhere quiet and practice. They really are very easy. Hell, I see 10 and 12 year old's riding Waves around here.

Good luck, ride safe and have lots of fun.

https://www.wikihow.com/Shift-Gears-on-a-Motorcycle

• Haha 1

Rent a small motorbike with manual gears, but make sure it has a clutch. 

You will get use to it pretty quickly, then move onto something a bit bigger. 

Then bigger again, until you decide on an engine size that you feal you can handle. 

Also invest in a good mokanok and boots, gloves and gortex leathers...   They will save your life. 

Learned it in a few minutes. Hardest part are from still to drive.

Two phases, the handle and the pedal.

The first time the engine stopped, got to feel the friction and the handle vs gas.

Still happened in the few days after.

A cold engine and the strength in my left hand (time of the day) need to learn.

Pedal went well, but in the beginning from drive and wanting to go from the 1st to the 2nd gear it went in the 'N' and I gave full gas.

Other shoes it happened again, each shoe their own contact with the pedal.

With car, I always drove manual. My country other side of the road, adapted fast here but..

Rented automatic, was automatically grabbing for the stick and missing the third pedal.

Here in Thailand when I want to turn left or right, I found out the wipers worked.

You mentioned that you can drive a car, but an automatic.

Have you never driven a regular manual shift car?

The principles are the same, so if you can drive a car, you can ride a manual motorcycle.

I messed around years ago (early teens) in fields on manual, then next rode a motorcycle in my 40's, a couple of years ago I rode my first geared motorcycle. The dealership 'faffed' too much on the day I picked it up and instead of riding it home at 2pm I rode a geared motorcycle for the first time in 30 years across Bangkok in Rush-hour traffic - it went perfectly smoothly.

If you are mechanically minded you'll be fine and pick it up in now time whatsoever.

There are plenty of youtube vidoes etc - People will offer you help if you ask.

Most important aspect for me with any motorcycle in Thailand's roads is ABS (I know this is debatable) but with the slick and oily roads, the 'first rain' is lethal and people will always do the unexpected and you need to emergency brake.

Any big carparks empty at times near you? Put a few cones or obstacles around it and use it like a mini circuit.

Very important to learn how and when to use front and/or rear brakes.

You will be amazed how fast you pick it up. But be aware others may not be so good at seeing you on the road, or even care that you are there.

14 hours ago, samisaurus said:

To be quite honest... I dont know much as to what type of manual it would be. Since im a beginner I'd go for 150cc most likely. 

Thank U for the advice , ill work on stopping/starting to get a feel of things. Much appreciated

Suzuki Raider 150, Yamaha Exciter 150, Yamaha has another 155cc, Kawasaki  has the W175.....all with manual.

The Wave is 4 down and manuals are 1 down and the rest up, since motor skills are essential starting with a Wave might not be a good idea.

• Like 1

Just don't buy an old British bike. Pre-1975 Triumphs had the hand (front) brake on the left hand, and the rear brake on the right foot. I  learned on Yamahas with both brakes on the right, clutch on the left hand. Nearly died the day a friend let me try his classic Triumph, and I never left the parking lot. 

One of my memories is as a 12 year old riding my father's BSA (manual gears) into a fence (I can't remember the reason I lost control). It and I survived pretty well unblemished. 

I like the suggestion of putting the bike on the centre-stand with the front wheel up against the wall and practising going up and down the gears -- just make sure you don't sit back on the seat or the rear wheel might gain traction. Then I'd try practising starting and stopping, as has also been suggested here, getting used in particular to the take up point of the clutch, and co-ordinating the clutch and throttle. The empty car park idea sounds good. What else? You need to work out how the brakes on a motorcycle work. Jam on the front brake while you're turning and you may well come off. On the other hand, relying on the back brake alone won't stop you very well. I also like the idea of wearing full clothing (long pants etc, not shorts) and proper shoes. You might save yourself some skin, that way. Allow yourself some time, and have lots of practice. And consult youtube. There's a million tutorials out there. 

For what it's worth, I ride a Honda CB500X and compared to something like a Wave it's a lot safer on the road -- it has more power,  better handling, better brakes, is a lot more comfortable and is just as easy to ride (once you've mastered the manual gearbox). 

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1

Do a search on youtube for how to ride a manual motorcycle for beginners and you will find many to choose from.

Then another important factor to keep in mind. Many beginners tend to loose balance while holding the handle, walking by the side and pushing the bike, especially a big bike. It is important to get used 'walking' your bike, IMHO. 

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, samisaurus said:

You might also want to try searching Youtube for videos on riding a bike, lots on there. The one I found the most helpful was MCrider, don't always agree with everything he says but there's plenty of useful stuff in his videos.

Take it slowly, get plenty of practice and once it all clicks into place you'll love it!

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Just don't buy an old British bike. Pre-1975 Triumphs had the hand (front) brake on the left hand, and the rear brake on the right foot. I  learned on Yamahas with both brakes on the right, clutch on the left hand. Nearly died the day a friend let me try his classic Triumph, and I never left the parking lot. 

A learning curve for you, you will pick it up in no time, just like the OP....????