Learning To Ride Manual Motorcycle

18 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Don't over-think it, just do it! Find a few video's on Youtube to give you some ideas first.

I was broke when I got my first bike - a CM125 custom - so I just experimented until I could make it go. The basics are simple, you just need to practice until you can pull away without stalling and pull in the clutch before you stall when you stop.

Then you need to refine clutch control - I had a screeching back tyre on downchanges for a few days, it soon went away - then it wasn't so much rocket science as 'muscle memory'. A bit like steering - you don't think about it much, it just happens.

After about 5 years with bikes up to 250cc, I bought myself a CB500F (Four cylinder - big size) and was scared to death until I actually got on it. Then I realised how much more stable and safe it was compared to anything smaller...

40 years later I found it much much harder to learn to ride a scooter - initially it was so much less safe/stable and not able to 'go' when I needed to 'go' so that I had to learn a whole new level of control. It took me a good few months.

Awesome, I'll go down that route. Funny story about the scooter haha. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

ALways remember first gear is down from neutral and the rest up.

Be aware in first gear not to throttle to hard , otherwise you end up in a wheelie.

Find the balance where the bike stays on the ground. I ve seen people fly and tumble.

No matter how much power it has. it is try and error, getting the hang of it.

Seems to be the way, like U said trial and error and learning slowly and steadily. 

Cheers