INFOGRAPHIC: Visa amnesty extension officially made law, confirmed by Thai Immigration

On 4/24/2020 at 3:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

Nothing different from the ministerial order that was issued on April 7th that has been extended to the 31st of July.

If on a long stay extension of stay (one year or 90 days) they should apply for their new extension when it is due.

Not nitpicking Joe but do you really mean 30th

The poster above says July  31st?

As there will no doubt be a rush I am planning to fly out around a week before if flights are available say July 24

4 hours ago, phartley58 said:

So, the wording of the Infographic says, "No need to do 90 day reporting", then goes on to say, "Immigration will process the above mentioned steps automatically".

I am on a Retirement Extension and I'm reading this to mean that when my current 90 day expires 23rd May that it will automatically be renewed for another 90 days (above) to 20th August and that I will have no need to visit Immigration again until around that time? Does this make sense or am I missing something? 

I'm in the same situation as you are (Retirement Extension) and that's the way I read it too. But to be on the safe side, I'm gonna do my 90 day reporting online when it is due in early July. It doesn't take much time to do and once I've done it, I'm covered either way.

Edited by Roy Baht

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

31st July is way too short. They should've given the amnesty until at least 31st December 2020.

Doubt borders will open in 3 months. Australia said December at the earliest, if not in 2021. Aussies are stuck here in Thailanduntil the end of this year, at least.

I disagree, but if you're right they will just have to extend the amnesty again.  I think borders with Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia will be slowly opening from 1 May, and this should enable the border runners to do their runs.  Flights to US and UK have never been completely suspended, so there's no reason why they won't increase in frequency in May/June.  If Australia continues to be hardcore and not admitting their own citizens, I guess Aussies stranded here will have to get a letter from their Embassy which will enable Immigration to extend their stay past 31 July.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

And as long as we all follow the same procedure, immigration will have no excuse to attempt to fine/bribe any of us. This really is a case of 'united we are strong'.

No 90 day reports until they tell us otherwise. And when you do next visit immigration, make sure you have a copy of the order in your folder.

Yes exactly no need to attend for anyone until at least 31st July or as a new notification is issued.

Running along to do 90 day reports because its quick or to show 800k in bank etc etc will confuse immigration officers themselves! you have been told official statement amnesty unitl 31st July for all classes of visas no need to go, its written in blue and white and as i read it that includes visas that have simply been extended for the year ....they are still a visa albeit extended.....so they are not excluded.

Try calling 1178 immigration visa hotline as a guy did yesterday their was a whole thread on the subject he was told everybody has amnesty including retirement extensions until 31st July and or further announcement.

Edited by sapson
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sapson said:

Yes exactly no need to attend for anyone until at least 31st July or as a new notification is issued.

Running along to do 90 day reports because its quick or to show 800k in bank etc etc will confuse immigration officers themselves! you have been told official statement amnesty unitl 31st July for all classes of visas no need to go, its written in blue and white and as i read it that includes visas that have simply been extended for the year ....they are still a visa albeit extended.....so they are not excluded.

Try calling 1178 immigration visa hotline as a guy did yesterday their was a whole thread on the subject he was told everybody has amnesty including retirement extensions until 31st July and or further announcement.

Maybe it was lost in translation!  If there was no need for anyone to visit Immigration until 31 July, they may as well close it down!  Extensions of stay for work, marriage to a Thai and retirement do not require the holder to leave Thailand, therefore they can and should be processed at the required time.  How offices handle those who choose to let their extension expire and go after 31 July may differ from office to office - some may fine for overstay, some may be lenient. But there isn't much to gain by putting off the visit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sapson said:

Immigration offices are still open, and apparently they accept to do the 90 days reports, and extensions.

So it seems there a choice,

visit them the day one is supposedly to do (less people now ) or wait till after 31 July.

One thing for sure, it still has to be done.

Addendum

My post is identical to the post here above.

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe it was lost in translation!  If there was no need for anyone to visit Immigration until 31 July, they may as well close it down!  Extensions of stay for work, marriage to a Thai and retirement do not require the holder to leave Thailand, therefore they can and should be processed at the required time.  How offices handle those who choose to let their extension expire and go after 31 July may differ from office to office - some may fine for overstay, some may be lenient. But there isn't much to gain by putting off the visit.

Their is a requirement to keep people out of the offices an amnesty declared why would their be fines for overstay.

Clearly the directive says no need to for 90 day dont come which applies to all the classes of visas you mentioned as still requiring attendance at an office.

You interpret it as only tourist visas or visas requiring border runs are exempt.

Fair enough, guess the guy at immigration has got it wrong ?

23 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

No mention of those on yearly Non O extensions (marriage and retirement) or am I missing something?

You may live here the whole year, every year, but Non O extensions are still temporary, that is to say for 1 year. Then you have to apply to extend again or be on overstay. That you must get a re entry permit to leave and come back without cancelling the extension is more evidence that it is temporary

While those that read here may know , individuals and they have your address from TM30 should be notified in writing or thse ignorant of the legislation will still keep going in.

The subtext is locked doors no envelopes etc, the office i used to deal with is not trustworthy ignore national regulations therefore I continue to get my visas a long wa away and not from neighbour who works in the immi warns me against the corruption, this may change once the top scammer retires but the culture is ingrained.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sapson said:

Their is a requirement to keep people out of the offices an amnesty declared why would their be fines for overstay.

Clearly the directive says no need to for 90 day dont come which applies to all the classes of visas you mentioned as still requiring attendance at an office.

You interpret it as only tourist visas or visas requiring border runs are exempt.

Fair enough, guess the guy at immigration has got it wrong ?

Yeah, I think what the guy said was obviously misunderstood or inaccurate.

Just to be clear, my comment was about those living here on extensions of stay, which only need to be done once a year.  These are not covered by the amnesty, do not require you to leave Thailand and therefore still need to be done at Immigration.  The 90 day reports which these people also have to do, ARE covered by the amnesty, so there's no need to go to Immigration every 90 days to do these.  The requirement for 90 day reporting hasn't been suspended, so they will still need to be done once the amnesty finishes, and there's nothing to stop someone doing their report online or by mail, if they can.

Hope this explains it.

• Like 1

Quick question. Given that July 31st is 90+ days from now does that mean everyone in Thailand will need to report 1 August? Or is it 90 days after July 31st that we'd need to report? regardless this act synchronizes every foreigner in the country to the same reporting day. Or case three, my next reporting date is 20 July, does this give me an auto extension on July 20 to +90 days thus report on or about Oct 20?

3 minutes ago, geomc57 said:

Quick question. Given that July 31st is 90+ days from now does that mean everyone in Thailand will need to report 1 August? Or is it 90 days after July 31st that we'd need to report? regardless this act synchronizes every foreigner in the country to the same reporting day. Or case three, my next reporting date is 20 July, does this give me an auto extension on July 20 to +90 days thus report on or about Oct 20?

I don't think so.  If you do your report on 1 August, you won't be fined for missing your 20 July reporting date.  How long you can wait after 1 August is another question, but as the fine is 2,000 baht however late you are, you could just wait until you have to visit Immigration for your annual extension.  Or just do it at the required time by mail or online, if you don't want to go to Immigration.

2 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Not nitpicking Joe but do you really mean 30th

The poster above says July  31st?

As there will no doubt be a rush I am planning to fly out around a week before if flights are available say July 24

Fixed now.

Just a typo I missed it should of been the 31st.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

So Immigration, in these cases, didn't sent you back, telling to come back after 31 July.

Therefore, as I always do my 90 days on line, i will do it  again as expected 1/2 June and will see what is happening.

Online reporting is working as normal 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 10:41 AM, Cuchulainn said:

No mention of those on yearly Non O extensions (marriage and retirement) or am I missing something?

if u read sais all   visas  

look again at the blue headliner from thai immergration 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I am still sending my 90 day report in by mail ,next week,

I just don't want to give them any excuse to fine me for not 

reporting,when everything returns to some normalcy.

regards Worgeordie

immigration Officer lives in my Village, he said on Wednesday this week. send in as normal.....  so will do on the 7th or 8th May...  Normal Postman picks it up when passing so don't have to go anywhere to send.. [he postman returns with the receipt next day has done for years]  

35 minutes ago, geomc57 said:

It is unknown at this time when they will be due. When they decide the order is not going to be extended beyond July 31st they will make an announcement for the will be due. They certainly will not want everybody doing them on August 1st.

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

31st July is way too short. They should've given the amnesty until at least 31st December 2020.

Doubt borders will open in 3 months. Australia said December at the earliest, if not in 2021. Aussies are stuck here in Thailanduntil the end of this year, at least.

What do mean "Aussies are stuck here until the end of this year?" Aussies can fly back to Australia now if they want, quarantine conditions apply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I disagree, but if you're right they will just have to extend the amnesty again.  I think borders with Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia will be slowly opening from 1 May, and this should enable the border runners to do their runs.  Flights to US and UK have never been completely suspended, so there's no reason why they won't increase in frequency in May/June.  If Australia continues to be hardcore and not admitting their own citizens, I guess Aussies stranded here will have to get a letter from their Embassy which will enable Immigration to extend their stay past 31 July.

Australia are admitting their own citizens. 14 day quarantine applies of course.

41 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is your flight to the UK still on for 10 May?  

I can only sit here and wait .If Eva cut the service to 2 days a week then the flights will be fuller ,just hope full enough .Due back at work on may 14 so hope I can get back

11 minutes ago, ian carman said:

I can only sit here and wait .If Eva cut the service to 2 days a week then the flights will be fuller ,just hope full enough .Due back at work on may 14 so hope I can get back

Good luck mate.  Well done to EVA for keeping the service going, unlike BA and Thai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think that you better try and keep up with the Thai news because you would see that Thailand has now placed Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia in the High-Risk group of countries so those borders will not open soon.  

Someone that had to do a 90 day report on March 26, was granted a suspension until July 31.

Someone that has to do a 90 day report on May 16, is granted a suspension until July 31.

So whenever the supension is ended, Immigration will give a reporting deadline based on what?

The March 26  suspended reporting has the same deadline as the May 16 reporting?

Just eliminate the interim reporting and just do your new Extension

At that time you have to show proof of residency.

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I think that you better try and keep up with the Thai news because you would see that Thailand has now placed Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia in the High-Risk group of countries so those borders will not open soon.  

Don't worry, as someone with family in Laos I keep very up to date.  The consensus among the Lao expat community is that the announcement you refer to was made by the already discredited Minister of Health and was meaningless as any decision about the ASEAN borders will be taken with the agreement of all ASEAN members.  The fact that Laos has had a total of 19 cases and no deaths, tends to support that interpretation.  I predict the borders will open next month for Lao/Thai citizens, but possibly not yet for everyone.

3 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Someone that had to do a 90 day report on March 26, was granted a suspension until July 31.

Someone that has to do a 90 day report on May 16, is granted a suspension until July 31.

So whenever the supension is ended, Immigration will give a reporting deadline based on what?

The March 26  suspended reporting has the same deadline as the May 16 reporting?

Just eliminate the interim reporting and just do your new Extension

At that time you have to show proof of residency.

The suspension of 90 day reports did not start until the 7th of April.

The will announce when 90 day reports are due when it is decided the order will not be extended beyond July 31st. The may do it by the month the report was due or from when your most recent report was due. They will certainly not want them immediately after July 31st,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Eva still fly LHR to Taiwan and I think they use the outbound plane from BKK for the return 

That's right, it is the same with all the flights. There are no scheduled international flights anywhere. The only flights that are operating are the repatriation flights that are carrying passengers both ways. There is a flight going to Australia on 29 April to do a repatriation flight out of Australia so arrangements have been made for that aircraft to pick up Australians on its way to Australia. That is how the airlines are working, they are only doing repatriation flights and not scheduled services

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Don't worry, as someone with family in Laos I keep very up to date.  The consensus among the Lao expat community is that the announcement you refer to was made by the already discredited Minister of Health and was meaningless as any decision about the ASEAN borders will be taken with the agreement of all ASEAN members.  The fact that Laos has had a total of 19 cases and no deaths, tends to support that interpretation.  I predict the borders will open next month for Lao/Thai citizens, but possibly not yet for everyone.

You are not the only person with family and friends in Laos and as for the "consensus" among the Lao expats, they know no more than anyone else as to what is going to happen. Everything seems to have to evolve around your predictions, your guesses, your thinking which is only guess work and false predictions by you. Instead of guessing, thinking, predicting how about just sticking to facts that be proven and stop the spreading of false information