Will Alcohol Ban Be Extended unil End of May? Do you think? Any Info?

JohnBarleycorn

"I am just saying that I enjoy the peacefulness of this local area in the absence of alcohol consumption on the streets, or outside anywhere, at night, and the singing that this often engenders".

It's the singing that bothers you, isn't it John?

As an old fire and brimstone preacher once said "No hope for them that laughs".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillageIdiot said:

"I am just saying that I enjoy the peacefulness of this local area in the absence of alcohol consumption on the streets, or outside anywhere, at night, and the singing that this often engenders".

It's the singing that bothers you, isn't it John?

As an old fire and brimstone preacher once said "No hope for them that laughs".

'Tis the singing, Sir, as well as the hooting and the caterwauling.

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Unnamed source say ban will be enforced until 1 Aug...

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was curious about.

Of course, we will not have long to wait until we know for sure.

There is a meeting on April 27 during which some of these issues will be decided.

But, if the alcohol ban is extended for Chiang Mai, we still might not know until Wednesday or Thursday, next weeks.

Either way, all is fine with me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

The reason I am curious is because, without the consumption of alcohol as normal during the past few days, things have gotten a lot more peaceful.

Not here they have.

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Unnamed source say ban will be enforced until 1 Aug...

No citation, no opinion.

I am curious if other countries in the region are also doing alcohol bans during this time. Malaysia? Indonesia? Does anyone know? I did a bit of googling and it seems that South Africa, Greenland, Botswana, Panama, and parts of Mexico have total ban on alcohol sales anywhere (some of them might have already been lifted). Of course this is in addition to the the Middle Eastern countries that normally ban alcohol.

There has a rash of internet memes going around on social media in the US. The headline will announce something like "Massachusetts Governor Announces Two Week Ban on Sale of Alcohol". If you click the link you get RickRolled!

2 hours ago, lexilis said:

I am curious if other countries in the region are also doing alcohol bans during this time. Malaysia? Indonesia? Does anyone know? I did a bit of googling and it seems that South Africa, Greenland, Botswana, Panama, and parts of Mexico have total ban on alcohol sales anywhere (some of them might have already been lifted). Of course this is in addition to the the Middle Eastern countries that normally ban alcohol.

There has a rash of internet memes going around on social media in the US. The headline will announce something like "Massachusetts Governor Announces Two Week Ban on Sale of Alcohol". If you click the link you get RickRolled!

South Africa, recently, instituted a ban on cigarettes.  This ban has since been lifted.  Why was the ban instituted in the first place?:  In South Africa, people often share cigarettes, which in my mind is a habit worse than kissing.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

If it gives these vainglorious idiots a chance to puff their chests out on TV, impose their power on the people, they'll keep on extending it indefinitely, as they are too lazy to actually do any enforcing of the guidelines, they'll be regretting it once this is over, no one will trust these fools with anything more than a school crossing....

Edited by IvorLott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, electsub said:

Change is good for us. I want wine but I did not stock up on enough to get me thru to April 20 (end of original ban).

Presently I feel great and if I had the wine I would drink it and feel great but also I would feel it slightly in the morning from just a glass or two. By me not have any I am better off. I'm happier, feel healthier and also hungrier.

I know I am my own worst enemy and I will purchase the red juice once the ban is lifted. Cheers 

I share your thoughts completely!  Completely.

Spoke one hour ago with my local mama shop. Owner good friend of mine told me, the official Alcohol Ban will go on to 10th of May, here in Bangkok for sure. So we will see if this is true. 

Edited by Fatman666

16 minutes ago, Denim said:

Not around here they aren't. All the drinkers around here look very sullen as though they have just been anally swabbed for covid 19 and had to pay 5000 for the privilege.

As for April 30th. Can't see the ban being lifted immediately before two national holidays ( 1st and 4th ) making a long weekend , especially as the 4th is Coronation day.

OK.  Good to know. I am usually very bad at predicting these sorts of things.  However, it seems to me that the Chiang Mai government will try to avoid some sort of "blow out" once the ban is lifted.  How they will accomplish this seems a difficult challenge.

14 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

South Africa, recently, instituted a ban on cigarettes.  This ban has since been lifted.  Why was the ban instituted in the first place?:  In South Africa, people often share cigarettes, which in my mind is a habit worse than kissing.

But no tongues should be OK?

This is not a problem (right now).  If thirsty, go around to local noodle shops, stores, when no one is about and ask for sang som. Have a nice bag to put it in. YES they will likely want a higher than regular price. But you knew that already.

If you are a confirmed beer drinker, good luck tote bagging 12 bottles a Leo. Best locate then return in car.

I assume it will all be relaxed May 1. If not, pretty sure they will sell, but no consumption in entertainment venues which will remain closed. Home consumption only.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IvorLott said:

If it gives these vainglorious idiots a chance to puff their chests out on TV, impose their power on the people, they'll keep on extending it indefinitely, as they are too lazy to actually do any enforcing of the guidelines, they'll be regretting it once this is over, no one will trust these fools with anything more than a school crossing....

Someone is missing his drink.

19 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was curious about.

Of course, we will not have long to wait until we know for sure.

There is a meeting on April 27 during which some of these issues will be decided.

But, if the alcohol ban is extended for Chiang Mai, we still might not know until Wednesday or Thursday, next weeks.

Either way, all is fine with me.

Such an important concern and really happy all your worries are in hand and pleased you really don't have much on your plate at the moment. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Such an important concern and really happy all your worries are in hand and pleased you really don't have much on your plate at the moment. 

At this moment, and not of our choosing, we happen to be part of a major worldwide social experiment which will transform society in significant ways.

Therefore, it is important for us to pay attention to it, and to prepare for a near-future which is different from today.

Anyway, I am still able to both work hard and pay attention to unfolding events, just as I am easily able to walk and chew tobacco at the same time.

We are unlikely to see so much change packed into such a short amount of time, again, any time soon.  This is why it is worth focusing on, this time around.