Will Alcohol Ban Be Extended unil End of May? Do you think? Any Info?

JohnBarleycorn

On 4/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, IvorLott said:

If it gives these vainglorious idiots a chance to puff their chests out on TV, impose their power on the people, they'll keep on extending it indefinitely, as they are too lazy to actually do any enforcing of the guidelines, they'll be regretting it once this is over, no one will trust these fools with anything more than a school crossing....

Trusting school crossings here is one of the few things more dangerous than trusting their electrical wiring.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Well, today we learned that the curfew will probably be extended until the end of May.  And, is it not also probable that alcohol sales will not be offered until the end of May, as well?  My guess is that this seems likely.  Can't hurt, anyway.

The alcohol bans are up to the 77 different provinces...the Emergency Decree was extended, but that isn't what banned booze to begin with.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

If you want alcohol or wine learn to make your own fruit wine. 

If you really need it;  use grape juice carton to bottle 21 days. Tastes like cheap french table wine...

A friend said he used to work in those sandy countries where alcohol is banned

Edited by maprao
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Ive noticed that Mom n Pops have customers leaving with Beer Bottles badly Camouflage. Mrs says they dont pay cash just borrowing for a while.!. Perfect Thai Logic.☂️

Borrowing?

Borrowing to buy booze?!!!

How much can they borrow, anyway?

Let's say that some guy were to borrow to buy booze for a month, or so.

What would be the cost of that?  What would be the percent interest involved? 10% per month?

Anyway, let's say some guy drank 8 bottles of LEO per day.  And let's say this guy drank only 25 days out of each month.

How much would his tab be at the end of 30 days in April?

This guy would have drunk away, and <deleted> away, Bt.11,400.00 (not counting the interest for borrowing the money in the first place).

Such a shame, really.

Because family men have children and wives to support.

Far better to spend this money on education, both for the guy involved, and for the rest of his family.

I plan to never touch another drop, as long as I live.

What's the point?

I could buy a new Samsung Note 10+ with 1 Terabyte of Ram every three months, or I could buy LEO for three months, and <deleted> it all away.

I just hope that everybody, from now on, will follow my example.

Then, we will have Note 10 phones out the kazoo.

Take heed, everybody.

• Confused 1

On 4/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, lexilis said:

I am curious if other countries in the region are also doing alcohol bans during this time. Malaysia? Indonesia? Does anyone know? I did a bit of googling and it seems that South Africa, Greenland, Botswana, Panama, and parts of Mexico have total ban on alcohol sales anywhere (some of them might have already been lifted). Of course this is in addition to the the Middle Eastern countries that normally ban alcohol.

There has a rash of internet memes going around on social media in the US. The headline will announce something like "Massachusetts Governor Announces Two Week Ban on Sale of Alcohol". If you click the link you get RickRolled!

My sister in law from Edmonton Alberta  Canada said they have declared liquor stores as essential business and are all open. open.

One bar in Pattaya is already advertising May 1 until Sept. 30, 5 drinks for the price 4.

This is Thailand and everything can be had for the right price. Lots of booze in the pipeline. Leo 630ml now going for 65b instead of 56b. Jack is also selling well as are other alcoholic beverages at higher prices.

Edited by Banana7

May 4 Cmai Province

(except Bars and entertainment Etc Etc venues)

Open slather again????

largely due to a clean sheet  of  16 days.  no  Covid 19 cases reported in Cmai Province .If that was to change dramactically then a

different kettle of fish

2 hours ago, deej said:

May 4 Cmai Province

(except Bars and entertainment Etc Etc venues)

Open slather again????

largely due to a clean sheet  of  16 days.  no  Covid 19 cases reported in Cmai Province .If that was to change dramactically then a

different kettle of fish

The major reason I dislike Beer Companies in Chiang Mai, of any kind, is due to the promotional beer festivals with super-loud music that these companies organize.  One of the worst is Prasertland near CMU.  This music is so blasted blasting that it adversely affects the health of the local people here within about a 3 kilometer radius.

IF the Beer Companies would act more responsibly and tone down the volume to an acceptable level, then I would have no opinion about opening up beer sales again.

The music usually begins at about 5:30 PM and lasts until 12:30 AM, and for up to ten or eleven days without respite!  There is no control, and these venues are out of control.  There are many, many people living here who feel as I.  But we are helpless and are unable to change things for the better because, I imagine, the beer companies can just do what they want, when they want.  Except for now, due to the Wuhan Virus.  Because, NOW, for once, the beer companies are unable to just do what they want!

I say....WONDERFUL!

I hope the beer ban lasts for another year, and stops the beer festivals from taking place from November 2020 until the end of March 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE:  It would be fine by me if they sold beer during the Raining Season, provided that they banned the sale of beer during the Winter and Hot Seasons. During the Raining Season, Beer Companies might find ti difficult to hold loud beer festivals during a downpour.

Then, during the Raining Season, all beer drinkers could sit under umbrellas and drink their beer, and as much as they want.

I have been told that Solitary Drinking can lead to alcoholism and self-isolation.

But now, we are being told that Social Drinking is just as hazardous.

Personally, I prefer solitary drinking over social drinking.  For one thing, I don't enjoy bar fights. And, for another, I do not enjoy listening to drunken conversation which is usually both inane and imbecilic in nature.  If someone were to record my utterances while I am inebriated, I certainly would not wish to have them played back to me the following morning.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

16 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Borrowing?

Borrowing to buy booze?!!!

How much can they borrow, anyway?

Let's say that some guy were to borrow to buy booze for a month, or so.

What would be the cost of that?  What would be the percent interest involved? 10% per month?

Anyway, let's say some guy drank 8 bottles of LEO per day.  And let's say this guy drank only 25 days out of each month.

How much would his tab be at the end of 30 days in April?

This guy would have drunk away, and <deleted> away, Bt.11,400.00 (not counting the interest for borrowing the money in the first place).

Such a shame, really.

Because family men have children and wives to support.

Far better to spend this money on education, both for the guy involved, and for the rest of his family.

I plan to never touch another drop, as long as I live.

What's the point?

I could buy a new Samsung Note 10+ with 1 Terabyte of Ram every three months, or I could buy LEO for three months, and <deleted> it all away.

I just hope that everybody, from now on, will follow my example.

Then, we will have Note 10 phones out the kazoo.

Take heed, everybody.

How old are You 10. They dont pay in the Shop so no ones SELLING ALCOHOL.  

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, lexilis said:

I am curious if other countries in the region are also doing alcohol bans during this time. Malaysia? Indonesia? Does anyone know? I did a bit of googling and it seems that South Africa, Greenland, Botswana, Panama, and parts of Mexico have total ban on alcohol sales anywhere (some of them might have already been lifted). Of course this is in addition to the the Middle Eastern countries that normally ban alcohol.

There has a rash of internet memes going around on social media in the US. The headline will announce something like "Massachusetts Governor Announces Two Week Ban on Sale of Alcohol". If you click the link you get RickRolled!

I find the alcohol ban is a show of power and serves no useful purpose.  In Canada alcohol vendors gave been deemed an essential service - perhaps Canadians have a bit of self control.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, johnmcc6 said:

My sister in law from Edmonton Alberta  Canada said they have declared liquor stores as essential business and are all open. open.

Yup, also Cannabis stores. The J.T Government is compassionate about self-isolation....inferring towards 'self-intoxication'.

The alcohol-ban here in Thailand co-incided with Songkran to keep the people from gathering and partying et.. extending it for a month or more beyond seems draconian. However, they do know their people.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

If you want to see the ultimate in stupid?

u

YES!  I cannot understand this reasoning.  But perhaps this is to allow people with plenty of money to stock up on another 30-day supply of fine wines.  Personally, I like Cabernet Sauvignon with plenty of tannins and acidity.  Wonderful tasting wine.  This wine is usually not relatively expensive, but it's good.

As for the less fortunate who are unable to buy a month's supply of French wine, maybe they have other options available.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, IvorLott said:

If it gives these vainglorious idiots a chance to puff their chests out on TV, impose their power on the people, they'll keep on extending it indefinitely, as they are too lazy to actually do any enforcing of the guidelines, they'll be regretting it once this is over, no one will trust these fools with anything more than a school crossing....

Most of the Thais I talk to don't trust them already, can't stand them at any price and never did. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So, what's the latest official news or announcement? 

Is alcohol to be sold again tomorrow (1st May) at 11am in places like Macro/Teso-Lotus/Big C?

Looks like my province in Maha Sarahkam is cleared of this tomorrow morning, been getting messages from the liquor stores and mom and pop shops i buy from.

1 minute ago, jimmyyy said:

been getting messages from the liquor stores and mom and pop shops i buy from.

Hardcore.

I don't think I'm that good a customer.

However every province is different. Looking for info from the Chiang Mai officials.