Will Alcohol Ban Be Extended unil End of May? Do you think? Any Info?

JohnBarleycorn

12 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Link to official announcement stating such.

TIA.

PM order in writing passed last night (all in Thai)

all previous bans / restrictions remain Status Quao .

It certainly appears the PM  has taken over the wheel????

May the good lord take care of us

Edited by deej

When No1 Son says to PM Dad me mates are <deleted> off with You ,its lifted next Day. Thats how Thailand Works. Out off big cities its flying out the back doors instead of the front. Just called a Mate near Lampang. You getting yore 4 Leos a Day,?. Yes why you asking.

15 minutes ago, deej said:

PM order in writing passed last night (all in Thai)

all previous bans / restrictions remain Status Quao .

It certainly appears the PM  has taken over the wheel????

May the good lord take care of us

Hope it is true.  The opening of sales for two days, just to close down again for a month seemed......well.....just plain weird.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Richard Barrow is tweeting nationwide ban on alcohol sales until end of May at least

The ChiangMai ptb will roll over with the rest.

From Richards tweet, "I posted this morning on my Facebook page that the alcohol ban will most likely continue for another month." 

Most likely does not mean For Certain, AFAIK

Why dash our hopes when there is still a chance ????☮️

7 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

From Richards tweet, "I posted this morning on my Facebook page that the alcohol ban will most likely continue for another month." 

Most likely does not mean For Certain, AFAIK

Why dash our hopes when there is still a chance ????☮️

I guess, if I wished to drink alcohol in Thailand, I would invest in a wine cellar.  Why?  Because I have always found it stressful to watch the clock. The 2 - 5 PM rest period, and the stopping of sales from 12 AM to 10 AM, is stressful, just one more thing to worry about.  Far better to have a wine cellar, and put such worry behind.

1 minute ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I guess, if I wished to drink alcohol in Thailand, I would invest in a wine cellar.  Why?  Because I have always found it stressful to watch the clock. The 2 - 5 PM rest period, and the stopping of sales from 12 AM to 10 AM, is stressful, just one more thing to worry about.  Far better to have a wine cellar, and put such worry behind.

Except that wine is one of the biggest ripoffs in the entire country.

33 minutes ago, moontang said:

Except that wine is one of the biggest ripoffs in the entire country.

Exactly, the wine that I would drink is too expensive for me.  Such a pity, really.  I like French wine. I have also had some Hungarian wines which were surprisingly good and also quite low cost. 

One other point is that, when we drink, we are paying a LOT of tax.

And so, since I believe there should be no taxation without representation, I am very happy for the ban.

I suppose that, if I really cared THAT much about drinking French wine everyday, I would live in France instead of in Chiang Mai.

However, all things considered, I would prefer to eat Thai food than to drink French wine.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

16 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

That's good!

I prefer a bit more uncertainty in my life, these days.

don't worry, you will be a hit soon enough - you are really starting to sound desperate , maybe AA can help.

Edited by Artisi

I posted this elsewhere but it is medically unsound to deny an alcoholic cold turkey. I understand the health benefits of stopping but for some, this should be a process and not all at once. 

Did anyone in power consider this at all? 

24 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I posted this elsewhere but it is medically unsound to deny an alcoholic cold turkey. I understand the health benefits of stopping but for some, this should be a process and not all at once. 

Did anyone in power consider this at all? 

No they did'nt. All they want to do is see how far they can control people before they rebel, I suspect they will find out soon!

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

don't worry, you will be a hit soon enough - you are really starting to sound desperate , maybe AA can help.

I shun all things that come by the dozen.

This includes:

a. 12-step program

b. cases of beer (12 bottles to the box)

c. calendar year  (I only measure time in months. When asked how old my am, someone here mentioned "10", I reply that I am 120 months old.)

d. I purchase eggs in 10s, not in dozens.

e. I never eat doughnuts by the dozen, and rarely eat even one doughnut every 240 months, if that.  Doughnuts are fattening with very few good nutrients, same as single-malt Irish whiskey, which is the best whiskey in the world, as everybody knows.

f. when cooking, I always use the "baker's dozen" unit instead of the normal dozen

g. etc, etc, etc.....

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

For those seeking a substitute for fine French wine with their meals:

I love a good bottle of good French wine with my chicken or other fowl in the evenings.

Now that we can't have wine, I would like to suggest that Chinese green tea, brewed strong, has many of the same flavor characteristics of fine wine.  I am not sure if it might be the tannin content, or what.

Still, if people can't drink wine, then let them drink tea.

The pleasure derived is very much the same.

• Haha 1

Whoa....Wait a minute, PLEASE!

Am I reading this correctly?

Pattaya Mail headline:  "Thailand will lift alcohol sales ban on Sunday, May 3"

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/thailand-will-lift-alcohol-sales-ban-on-sunday-may-3-297814

But I thought I read just this morning that alcohol sales would be banned until "further notice".

Is this the "further notice" people were mentioning just this morning?

Will there be a further announcement tomorrow in order to clarify today's further announcement?

Actually, it is neither here nor there, to me, because I do not expect it to affect me one way or the other.

I am just interested in this ban from an intellectual disinterested-observer's point of view.

Any more news about this, other than what I have linked, per chance?

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

Sorry. I think I was mistaken...

Bangkok Post headline, less than 5 hours ago:  "Alcohol sales ban to ride out month"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1903680/alcohol-sales-ban-to-ride-out-month

(At least, I know one thing for sure:  The likes of John Barleycorn will never die.  Not here. Not anywhere.  John Barleycorn will live on!)

14 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Sorry. I think I was mistaken...

Bangkok Post headline, less than 5 hours ago:  "Alcohol sales ban to ride out month"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1903680/alcohol-sales-ban-to-ride-out-month

(At least, I know one thing for sure:  The likes of John Barleycorn will never die.  Not here. Not anywhere.  John Barleycorn will live on!)

No it's true so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ????

Well, it looks like it's.....Bottoms UP!

Am I the only one who fondly recalls many hours down these stairs?

Easy to get downstairs.

But some mornings, around 5 AM, just before the sun rose, climbing the stairs back to the street was a true challenge.

Ah, the good olde days.

I look back with such deep nostalgia and remembrances of a youth well spent.

Yes, to all you drinkers out there...

Cheers and above all....

Bottoms UP!

25400329_Bottoms2(1).jpg.da089186cabbea86a5f8ca6f01607fa4.jpgBottoms2.jpg.8120970b96fe6088087b014c6a45f264.jpg

25644289_Bottomsupwordsonly.JPG.d82b6b37a8227dc47d5008f448aaf011.JPG2010053205_Bottomsupclose.jpg.c75dd0d21a49d38d4508fd54cb1a06d4.jpg

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

Personally, I would choose never to live in a "dry" country.

As in every country, alcohol sales is not a problem for 85% to 90% of the population.

It is only those unable to curb their enthusiasm who suffer significant health consequences.

I just hope that those who choose to drink will not be passing around bottles of whiskey taking swigs, communally.

We still have a long way to go in order to fight this virus to the ground.

Thailand is doing great, and the government policies, in my view, are effective, same as government strategies in Taiwan.  There seems no question on this point.

We will know more in another 30 days, there is no doubt.

I have read a report from one of the healthcare administrators at a hospital here that it will be important to control the spread of the virus before the raining season, a time when colds and respiratory illness are more prevalent than in other seasons.  Let's hope we can.

At least, if we do catch the common cold this season, there will be nothing to stop us from preparing ourselves a hot toddy.

1 ounce dark rum or bourbon

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon pure honey

1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, optional

1/4 cup hot water or brewed tea

Lemon slice

29 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Well, it looks like it's.....Bottoms UP!

Am I the only one who fondly recalls many hours down these stairs?

Easy to get downstairs.

But some mornings, around 5 AM, just before the sun rose, climbing the stairs back to the street was a true challenge.

Ah, the good olde days.

I look back with such deep nostalgia and remembrances of a youth well spent.

Yes, to all you drinkers out there...

Cheers and above all....

Bottoms UP!

25400329_Bottoms2(1).jpg.da089186cabbea86a5f8ca6f01607fa4.jpgBottoms2.jpg.8120970b96fe6088087b014c6a45f264.jpg

25644289_Bottomsupwordsonly.JPG.d82b6b37a8227dc47d5008f448aaf011.JPG2010053205_Bottomsupclose.jpg.c75dd0d21a49d38d4508fd54cb1a06d4.jpg

Wow that name brings back memories.  long long time ago.

6 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Personally, I would choose never to live in a "dry" country.

As in every country, alcohol sales is not a problem for 85% to 90% of the population.

It is only those unable to curb their enthusiasm who suffer significant health consequences.

I just hope that those who choose to drink will not be passing around bottles of whiskey taking swigs, communally.

We still have a long way to go in order to fight this virus to the ground.

Thailand is doing great, and the government policies, in my view, are effective, same as government strategies in Taiwan.  There seems no question on this point.

We will know more in another 30 days, there is no doubt.

I have read a report from one of the healthcare administrators at a hospital here that it will be important to control the spread of the virus before the raining season, a time when colds and respiratory illness are more prevalent than in other seasons.  Let's hope we can.

At least, if we do catch the common cold this season, there will be nothing to stop us from preparing ourselves a hot toddy.

1 ounce dark rum or bourbon

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon pure honey

1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, optional

1/4 cup hot water or brewed tea

Lemon slice

Id love to see Boy Barleycorn order that tarts drink in an Oz Outback Bar. This lads got a lot to learn. Lot of Folks just dont want to know about anything smart <deleted> try to feed em.