Australian father, Thai mother, support issues

GoDucks

What's the other side of the story, because there must be one. Maybe he knew she was pregnant and told her to abort and she refused. Maybe she told him she was using birth control and wasn't. maybe she told him she had a problem and couldn't get pregnant. 

It takes two people to get pregnant and thus there are 2 stories. If a guy knocks a girl up and wants nothing to do with the baby that is his right. As long as this was openly discussed beforehand. 

I don't have kids. I've never wanted kids. I don't know why anybody would want kids. I truly do not and can not understand. I have tried and can see absolutely no positive life benefit coming from having a kid. I have been transparent and open with my thoughts with every girl I have ever met. We all know that the only guarantee is abstinence and that is simply not an option. 

So, upon starting a relationship I put all the cards on the table. If a pregnancy happens I want nothing to do with it, at all. If the girl is the least bit reticent about how I feel, I don't start a sexual relationship. Simple. We can be friends and hang out but that is as far as it goes. 

So, don't jump on the guy and call him scum or whatever until you know the whole story. 

If some say I'd change my mind blah blah blah....that bridge has been crossed as an unwanted pregnancy occurred with my first wife despite all precautions and it was eliminated with absolutely no drama or regrets whatsoever. 

Kids........yuck

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:36 AM, GoDucks said:

So she could not contact anyone in Australia to enforce any support?

hahaha NO, This is thailand and governed by THAI laws not AUSTRALIAN laws....She can contact a lawyer in thailand and try and get child support but this is thailand and he is not considered the father unless they were married at the time...Even if she was able to somehow get him to pay child support here it is around 3000-4000thb a month and once again not enforced!

On 4/25/2020 at 1:37 PM, Preacher said:

By going through an Australian court.

By the way, the kid can apply for Australian nationality because of its father. Child support is awarded for the child, not the mother.

no the child cannot. Not without him being the father on the birth certificate and unless married he won't be...The embassy will not force him to get a paternity test either the only way the child can get Australian Nationality is if the father flew back over here agreed to paternity went to court to get his name put on the birth certificate and then applied at the Australian embassy.....You really think he would do all that lolol........This is Thailand not Australia so please obey Thai laws when here!!

• Like 1

Nothing will happen unless he wants it to happen. Is he on the birth certificate

I do know of one lady who after 6 months of ending monies it just stopped ?

So she sent some gorgeous photos of the child & herself  to his parents saying are you sure you want to walk away from your family?

Fixed, only about 6,000 a month & has visited twice now

Some practicalities, even if it were theoretically possible: She'd probably have to find a way to stay in Australia for however many years the legal process took, which would be next to impossible.  Also, they'd be entitled to ask for their own paternity test in Aus, which would mean bringing the child to Aus, and risking him deciding he wants to contest custody under Aus law.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:04 AM, GoDucks said:

Would she be able to fly to Australia and make a claim?

I would presume she might be able to do something through the legal system, but that might involve a costly lawyer, take (long) time, and with no gurantee for success.

I have a Thai friend that became father to a child with a young lady from my home country, which send him numerous governmental letters about paternity. He asked me to help him with replies, as the letters were written in my native language – he wished to officially accept being father and claim his rights – at the end he got a letter with information of how much he should pay per month for 18 years; but that letter he didn't respond to, and nothing more has happened for years.

It might be more easy the other way around – i.e. than a foreigner claiming support from a Thai man – but the time factor is critical. A home country friend of mine became father to a child with a girl in a neighboring Scandinavian country. He didn't keep contact, but the mother claimed compensation. His daughter became 16 years old before he finally was takes to court, where he stated that he didn't have any money, so he couldn't pay. That was between two co-operating neighboring countries with strict identical rules about paternity.

I unfortunately think your friend's changes are quite limited – if not possible to make a voluntary agreement with the father – however, rules might be different in Australia.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:03 AM, northsouthdevide said:

Under Thai law, a foreign father has no parental rights or responsibility. 

Only if 'he' takes her to court, would he be able to apply for parental responsibility, but will still have no rights. 

However, if he came back to Thailand, she may be able to serve him with court papers and ask for a paternity test. 

Since I have parential rights over my Thai children under Thai law I am not so sure what you say is fully correct.

She has a university degree and got pregnant.

Not so smart especially not when you know how hard it is with this man. She is experiences the fruits of feminism and the right that woman claimed. 

The man not want to stay with her nad take care of the child.

Sad enough for the child.

Her family can take care and she can work like so many Thai woman do.

Foreigner man or Thai man are still the same Man. Man with only the package is different.

Sad for the child. Especially since it is now half Thai half Aussie.

1 hour ago, OffshoreMig said:

She can take action under Australian law.  Child would be entitled to Australian Citizenship. 

And how do you reckon that would go if the guy doesn't want to have a paternity test?

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

And how do you reckon that would go if the guy doesn't want to have a paternity test?

Yep, won't happen. I HAD to have a paternity test for my son's citizenship and I was the one applying for it..

As as sideline I had to have mine and son's DNA test done in Australian lab, samples taken in Bangkok. The lab charges were if it was a "piece of mind" test $au300. If it was for a family court or the like $au600 and for an immigration test, as for citizenship, $au1200.

• Like 1

I only comment on those who say this friend of the woman  should not even be asking for advice and staying out of it.   Seems normal to help a person understand her options when the mans could try isnt her native language.    I have heard many first hand accounts of husbands who abandoned their wife and kids in Thailand with no support or contact again.  It makes Thailand a 4th World country in my eyes.  But ignorant  non compassionate  men are in control so no reason for things to change. 

She is in the village with a child for everyone to see and know about. The Australian is all snug as a bug walking around some Australian town with his head held high talking about Thai pussy. Shame on him and his entire family.

This is one for naming and shaming. I'm willing to wait until the birth of the child to see if it looks 100% Thai. 

• Sad 2

On 4/25/2020 at 1:48 AM, tonray said:

No debate at all...he's a deadbeat scumbag if he abandons his child...

in principle i agree, but... to play devil's advocate, possibly he didn't want children, made it very clear to her what would happen if she became pregnant,  and she said she was taking precautions... sure he should have too but maybe she deceived him. maybe, maybe... two sides to every story before you get too judgemental.

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

in principle i agree, but... to play devil's advocate, possibly he didn't want children, made it very clear to her what would happen if she became pregnant,  and she said she was taking precautions... sure he should have too but maybe she deceived him. maybe, maybe... two sides to every story before you get too judgemental.

Not for some people, there's one side, even if it's only hearsay....

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

Chils support is for the child, no the mother. The child has nothing to do with a presumed understanding that the father doesn't want a child. That is between the father and the mother and has nothing to do with the rights of the child itself.