My girlfriends job

MrMilk

12 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

It feels like I am dealing with a kid when I try to seriously talk to her about it.

I sit her down and explain to her the amount of money and time I put into her land. How it starting to get difficult for me to continue doing this.

She shrug me off with idiot comments like "you think 600 in diesel is so much. Why you have to be like this??!!" 

I ask her "do you know how much you spend every month only in diesel?" 

And the fight has began.

She already left the room yelling and screaming by the time I take out a piece of paper and start adding the monthly expenses together.

Grab the set you were born with and shut the wallet until she comes to the table,i f she don't say goodbye and google thaifriendly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm still waiting for him to come up with a monthly spend on her land.

It might be he's getting a bargain!

Well at current prices, 5 durian per tree would return a revenue equating to circa 60k + baht a month

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MrMilk said:

12.000 only in diesel for driving back and forth to farm and the watering.

Then you get the expenses for workers, fertilizer, cutting of grass, equipment, etc, several times a month on top.

Its around 20-25 in total depending on the month 

Tell her, that you are not paying for it anymore. Since next month. And end payments. Don't explain. Don't try to justify yourself. Just say it and do it. And stick to it.

It's that simple. If you stop handing out money, it is solved. Be a man. ???? It works!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrMilk said:

The land was given to her as a gift from by mom/dad. I think they jumped the gun a bit early and expected us to get married in not long. 

She come from a wealthy family which have a lot of land around in the district. Money is not a concern from them.

The thing I don`t get, and have a hard time accepting, is that I should be the one paying for this party.

If they want to give her land and secure her income then perfect. Nothing better than that. But shouldn't THEY be the one following up on this too then until she begin earning money from it?

Well if you are living together I think it’s reasonable that they expect you to support her, they won’t want a Cheap Charlie farang sponging off their family.

In an ideal world the two of you would have done a business plan before the expenditure started, did she understand how much investment would be required ? The durian should give a decent return in a few years ( on current prices) but some of your current figures seem rather high. 5000 baht per month on fertilizer ? 6000 baht on wages for casual labour ? Perhaps she should do more herself ? If you do keep going as you are now, make sure you document all expenses and make it clear this is going to be a business you expect to get a return on eventually.

Sad to say, but many Thais with farms and small businesses have no business sense....they get excited when they turnover 10,000 baht but forget it cost them 9,900 in stock or expenses !

I have put up money for some of the expenses of the wife’s family farm in the past, but only because I know the eldest sister looks after the money side ....and she is also the local loan shark, so I know the books will be kept, and that we will get our money back with a profit .....and as much rice as we can eat. But another sister asked me to “invest” in her farm, only for her eyes to glaze over and lose interest when I wanted to write down all her expected costs, and when I said I wanted the same percentage of the profit as I put in !

27 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

50-50, are you insane?

I would be more than happy with 25% or 20% or 15%. It doesn't really matter. Just want to hear and know that I get something back from all this frustration.

At the end of the day I would much rather be left out of everything involving her work. But that seems impossible

Insane? I have been called not dealing with a full deck before, so maybe partially. Too late now to be not included. Maybe you can have her pay for things you currently pay (bedsides her farming) for now when the money starts coming in and get it back that way. 

End of the day, you are already in the middle. 

You shouldn't need relationship advice from people who don't know you or other person. Think about it rationally and make up your own mind.

Why guys need strangers to tell them to man up and make decisions I don't know.

Edited by UbonThani
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrMilk said:

The expenses are real.

My wife has a family of farmers - great people. We have bought land for them to farm and no rental charge... but simple fact is that there is not a lot of money in family farming. They talk of the circle, as soon as the moeny comes in, it goes out again for seed and fertilizer etc..

the surer profit is to rent the land.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMilk said:

Its around 300 durian trees

So she is going to make a fortune if she succeeds! Anyway, there is no sense to use more than 200 000,- baht for making a 300 tree durian farm, and for sure no 5 000,- baht a month in fertilizer.  Durian trees needs alot of water, so it makes kind of sense, but still 600 in diesel for waterpump a week? 

And land size if you plant 4-5 meter apart? Workers for 300 trees? That is quite Hi So

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Recently his girlfriend, to whom he offered the most expensive Fortuner ( about 1,7 million baht ), extracted more than a million baht from his safe.

My girls exactly the same, but downsized .......... to a more affordable level.

I bought her a rusty Nissan BigM (about 150k), extracts the off 100bht note from my wallet at night.

• Haha 1