Energy Ministry wins hearts with price cut move: poll

rooster59

Energy Ministry wins hearts with price cut move: poll

By The Nation

800_e817967a0751de6.jpg

A majority of respondents of a Super Poll opinion survey showed the thumbs up to the move by the Ministry of Energy to cut electricity and oil price.

Noppadon Kannika, director of Super Poll Research Centre, said on Saturday (April 25) that the poll surveyed 1,358 people nationwide from April 20 to 24 on what pleased people during the Covid-19 outbreak.

“We collected the data by using various methods, including telephone interviews, site visits, and social data collection, focusing on both quantitative research and qualitative research,” he said.

When asked what pleased them from the social aspect during the Covid-19 outbreak,70.8 per cent of respondents mentioned the role of doctors, nurses and Village Health Volunteers and their efforts to take care of Covid-19 patients, while 48.7 per cent of respondents liked the Public Health Ministry’s support in providing medical supplies and 8.5 per cent chose rescue teams that help people.

Asked what pleased them from the economic aspect, 53.8 per cent of respondents liked the Energy Ministry’s move to cut electricity and oil price, while 44.6 per cent of respondents liked the Finance Ministry’s cash handout initiative and 37.8 per cent liked the Interior Ministry’s move to cut tap water price.

Asked about the government’s efforts to tackle the Covid-19 outbreak compared with other countries, 67.3 per cent of respondents said the government was dedicated to the task, while 32.7 per cent were not impressed.

Asked to compare the efforts of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha with other countries' leaders, 63.3 of respondents said the prime minister was doing a good job while 36.7 per cent were not impressed.

“Meanwhile, 22 million households nationwide said that they liked the Energy Ministry's move to cut electricity price, followed by the Finance Ministry’s cash handout that has drawn a lot of criticism, showing that people still gained benefits from reduction in expenses.”

“The problem in cash handout measure may arise from communication and management of the database or Big Data,” Noppadon said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386767

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-25

The fact that they are pounding their chests about this, with big announcements and surveys and news- reporting just shows one thing: however small the contribution may be, it is never to small to big yourself up as a hero!

Does anyone believe, that the richest in the country would not be asll over state- TV, IF they donated bigger amounts of money, to feed the hungry plebs!?

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

3% discount doesn't win any hearts in my household.

Try 50%!

Received the bill today B 1950 previous month was B 920 yes we have a new modern home in the last 12 months the fee was always under B 1000, my wife's friend who lives in a nice village home normally around the B 300 theirs is triple B 920.

Be wary of your next bill we received our account today B 1950 previous month was B 920 yes we have a new modern home in the last 12 months the fee was always under B 1000, my wife's friend who lives in a nice village home normally around the B 300 theirs is triple B 920. no 3% discount try 100% plus increase.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

3% discount doesn't win any hearts in my household.

Try 50%!

Price of "energy" is only down ~40% past couple of weeks, 3% is very generous, be thankful ????

1 hour ago, Barry343 said:

Be wary of your next bill we received our account today B 1950 previous month was B 920 yes we have a new modern home in the last 12 months the fee was always under B 1000, my wife's friend who lives in a nice village home normally around the B 300 theirs is triple B 920. no 3% discount try 100% plus increase.

price didn't go up, check your usage compared to last month

I don't trust PEA, We had two house guests in february using an electric shower every day and the well water pump always on for two weeks. The bill after they left was pretty much as normal.

Last month our bill was 30% up on normal usage without my wife and I doing anything different to normal.

Edit: not last month, I mean the bill I have waiting to be paid at the end of this month.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

I went to pay last months power bill last Friday at local PEA Office. All nicely set up  with  a hand basin and soap  before entry. Then a  desk outside with a  staff member checking  purpose of  visit. Then inside. Get to counter, place  bill with  the 3%  deduction itemized  plus  sufficient  money in tray  provided and pushed it  back through the slot in  newly installed glass screen. 30 seconds pass then confusion . Teller correctly assumes I  do not speak sophisticated Thai. Calls on another staff member who whips out  cellphone and  comes out  from behind counter to show me a translation  on her phone.

"Payment has been suspended until November " .

Oh ? Ok. Mai pen rai.

It was only after I  left that it occurred to me that this could be a dangerous situation long term for many households.  Suspended or  deferred payment for  6 months ? Or is it free for  6 months? ( I doubt  much ! )

The danger is that in 6 months time the monthly  total will  be substantial .

I know already some have had the  meter removed for non payment due to  poor  financial responsibility     . ( sadly  not uncommon in Isaan ). I can believe "suspended" will be  viewed as  "free"  to  many !

I now  regret not thinking fast  enough to  insist on payment.

I have noted  some  comment here  about varied  degrees  in current bill totals. Ours  too jumped about  50% on  nominal monthly charges and the  3%  was quite a minimal amount despite the increase from 650 Bht to just over  1000. A small amount of that  would be due to very recent  use of the minimal use of the bedroom air conditioner .

Is there  any  overall  policy known to anyone?