BANGKOK
MGP

Warning: SCB Easy app will not work on rooted devices from 1 May 2020

15 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

What on earth is that all about, can you post in plain English so that the majority of us have some  clue what you are on about! 

As long as you don’t have like an iPhone that was manually unlocked you’re good. I didn’t know people even still did that all my new iPhones lately came unlocked except for the ones I brought with us from the states years ago that I had to manually unlock myself because of AT&T in the US. All my Thai iPhones were never locked to begin with. I thought Apple had stopped doing that 5 years ago. 

Posted (edited)

I had this problem with a bank in Finland and found a fix on a local forum. It was something that will trick the app into believing that the phone is not rooted. I'm sure this kind of can be found easily online. A colleague of mine also built me an ad-blocker-blocker-blocker on Chrome for a certain unnamed online forum ;D 

Edited by SS1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MGP said:

SCB Easy banking app will not work on rooted/jailbreaked devices from 1 May 2020

It will also stop working on iOS older than 10.3.4 and Android older than 6.0

Thanks for the heads up. Good job I don't want to use my phone for banking as I would fail on both points for Android......

2 hours ago, zippysteve said:

As long as you don’t have like an iPhone that was manually unlocked you’re good. I didn’t know people even still did that all my new iPhones lately came unlocked except for the ones I brought with us from the states years ago that I had to manually unlock myself because of AT&T in the US. All my Thai iPhones were never locked to begin with. I thought Apple had stopped doing that 5 years ago. 

Almost every large thai bank app doesn't work with a rooted phone. 

Using the Australian vernacular, if it’s rooted, no wonder it won’t work.

I find it surprising an app has access to know if your phone is rooted / jailbroken.

• Like 2

Keeping  up to date  with  apps is a pain always  trying to get you to  pay for  an upgrade or new phone! Best just to access  on line even though it takes a bit longer 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zippysteve said:

I thought Apple had stopped doing that 5 years ago. 

They did, all iphones have been unlocked from apple factory well over 5 years ago, its some carriers who may lock them when you go on a plan.

About 2 years ago my wife bought a cheapo Thai brand phone  that was  rooted from the factory,

one of her banking apps would not run..she complained to the phone manufacturers who said thy would release an ROM "update" never happened....  eventually I bought her (yet another) a new phone 😩

There is some hope  I haven't tried as I don't need to yet.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/completely-hide-root-using-magisk-0201243/

Slightly off topic  SCB have closed the Chaengwattana branch.  It not there if you need it for your extention