Woman records video of summer storm power

Jonathan Fairfield

Woman records video of summer storm power

n8.jpg

A woman in Phayao province has recorded on her phone a video of the moment when she had to grab her child and find cover after a storm ripped off her house roof.

On April 25, the summer storm destroyed several houses in Jun district and felled numerous trees.

The local government organisation has visited residents affected by the storm and one of them had recorded the moment when the summer storm struck.

The destruction will be evaluated so that everyone whose house is damaged can get help from the government.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386799

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-26

• Sad 2

It's very sad that this happen. That's why there are building Codes and building inspectors, But hey this is Thailand Building codes Thrown out off the window , building inspectors not on the job/paid a Bonus . engineers/draftsman not up to scratch to make a plan/ Drawing up to building code specs.

• Confused 1

When this happened where I am it was hilarious the next day to see sheets of rusted corrugated iron hanging off electricity wires 5 metres high.

For the next few days in our village all you could hear was the sound of hammers as people everywhere were on top of their houses doing repairs.

Have to say though, it wasn't funny at the time. Extremely dangerous with big trees falling down as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, digger70 said:

It's very sad that this happen. That's why there are building Codes and building inspectors, But hey this is Thailand Building codes Thrown out off the window , building inspectors not on the job/paid a Bonus . engineers/draftsman not up to scratch to make a plan/ Drawing up to building code specs.

So you have never seen a roof blow off in your home country. I used to work with the State Emergency Service in mine who have canvas tarpaulins in storage for just these occasions until the roofs can be repaired..

32 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Just think of how tornadoes in the US destroy those Mobile home parks.  Perfect for take-off's and crash Landings.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

So you have never seen a roof blow off in your home country. I used to work with the State Emergency Service in mine who have canvas tarpaulins in storage for just these occasions until the roofs can be repaired..

No. English weather may be boring, but it's almost never violent.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

We have building regs in the UK. To ensure that roofs don’t get blown off. Then we let many buildings get clad in highly flammable materials so you get burnt to death instead.

High pitched  traditional  Thai  roofs ideally suited to high winds and tropical downpours  as no vacuum  created over flat  roof  causing lift like airplane wing and run off cleared rapidly.  All  that and better ventilation  too!  

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

And why I  build  my own dwellings here.

Things  like the tin roofs they use the thinnest metal they can buy something like 0.25mm thick whereas Ill get  the much  thicker and then use a  fastener in every ridge, they will space them out maybe every other one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Unfortunately, many rural building in Thailand are perfectly designed to allow strong winds to get under the roof overhangs and lift the roof off.

Yes,  I  opted for small overhangs  just 35cm  but painted the walls a pale  colour which keeps  the heat out, makes a huge difference. Many Thais go for darker colours which does  not, luminous green, dark  purple, blue etc

2 hours ago, bodga said:

UK has the most tornadoes in the world  per sq.mile.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-tornadoes-by-area/

Interesting. The source is good, but I have trouble believing this. I've never in the 40 years I was in the UK ever experienced one, and I've only ever read of one or two.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No. English weather may be boring, but it's almost never violent.

Well I suppose extensive flooding isn't actually violent but it is devastating and the consequences are far reaching and disrupts thousands of lives.  And although strong winds are not as violent as the famous British storm of 1987, they are getting stronger and more frequent and do do considerable damage.

7 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Don't start ,I have seen much more than that. I lived in NQLD in Aus We had Cyclone building Codes witch could stand a Category 3 cyclone . I have been in 2 cyclones in NQLD Aus we lost a Whole Banana farm in that, in the second one a big Queensland house. The cyclones where Cat5 Cat3. Cat 1 is just like a real bad Thunderstorm. like the storms here and they lost the Roofs. So figure . ????

43 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Don't start ,I have seen much more than that. I lived in NQLD in Aus We had Cyclone building Codes witch could stand a Category 3 cyclone . I have been in 2 cyclones in NQLD Aus we lost a Whole Banana farm in that, in the second one a big Queensland house. The cyclones where Cat5 Cat3. Cat 1 is just like a real bad Thunderstorm. like the storms here and they lost the Roofs. So figure . ????

Been through a cyclone living in a caravan. They must build them pretty good too.

Do you expect them to have building codes for a Cat 3 cyclone when they do not have them up here.

You are just a Thai basher with your post.

17 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Been through a cyclone living in a caravan. They must build them pretty good too.

Do you expect them to have building codes for a Cat 3 cyclone when they do not have them up here.

17 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Why can't you be Civil, If you Can't just don't Post. As for cat 3 Cyclones ;

Cyclones, also called typhoons, typically affect continental Thailand. ... Thailand is typically prone to typhoons from June through December, although they are more common from September to November. Indian Ocean cyclones can occur year-round due to the warm sea but are most common between April and December.Mar 31, 2019 

Here something Special for You  2117385404_images(5).thumb.jpeg.959e3ea46f67bea04d530688028b8ac2.jpeg