Thai billionaires dip into deep pockets to fight Covid-19

webfact

Wow, my calculator just fitted in his 456,800,000,000 worth and I am sure the Thai's will be humble to accept his 0.021891418% contribution, even if it's under a single % digit.

Very generous of him, Kop Koon Krup.

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

In a story designed to promote how wonderful Thai billionaires are I have just one question:  What are they donating that isn't tax deductable?

Your donations are also tax deductible.

How much you have donated yet?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

give it a break will ya  !!    .... as usual the bashing brigade are out. 

It's a simple news story about the rich donating to help support those in need during the virus pandemic.

nothing more, nothing less .... so give up the bashing for a day .  It gets a bit tiring.

I rarely agree with anything you post, but I fully support this comment.

Some days I feel sick reading the constant cynicism that's rive on this forum

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

And what future strings/expectations are attached?

That's what that meeting they had was about. "Let's get together to discuss what we can do about this Covid-19 situation". Heh. Just like a school director's business really isn't education. It's all about cutting deals.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

give it a break will ya  !!    .... as usual the bashing brigade are out. 

It's a simple news story about the rich donating to help support those in need during the virus pandemic.

nothing more, nothing less .... so give up the bashing for a day .  It gets a bit tiring.

It would have been a far better story if they all volunteered without being asked to do so. Besides didn't Prayuth say many times he was asking for help and ideas and not money.

Out of curiosity I wonder how ;much tax they pay after the accountants have gone through the books and found all the tax deductibles.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It would have been a far better story if they all volunteered without being asked to do so. Besides didn't Prayuth say many times he was asking for help and ideas and not money.

More sour grapes.

Charoen Pokphand Group patriarch Dhanin Chearavanont, Thailand’s richest man with a net worth of US$14.1 billion (456.8 billion baht), has spent Bt100 million of that money to build a factory making 100,000 free surgical masks per day for healthcare workers.

I doubt all that happened ONLY AFTER Prayuth sent the letter last week, and building a factory and producing face masks is helping, and not just donating money isn't it.

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Out of curiosity I wonder how ;much tax they pay after the accountants have gone through the books and found all the tax deductibles.

What you're waiting for, you have the same options

Now I can't wait how many sad and confused emoji's this gonna attract from the usual ex POTY Thai bashers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Susco said:

More sour grapes.

Charoen Pokphand Group patriarch Dhanin Chearavanont, Thailand’s richest man with a net worth of US$14.1 billion (456.8 billion baht), has spent Bt100 million of that money to build a factory making 100,000 free surgical masks per day for healthcare workers.

I doubt all that happened ONLY AFTER Prayuth sent the letter last week, and building a factory and producing face masks is helping, and not just donating money isn't it.

What you're waiting for, you have the same options

Now I can't wait how many sad and confused emoji's this gonna attract from the usual ex POTY Thai bashers

Let's be very clear about this: the guy could give away 10 billion DOLLARS and still have 4 billion DOLLARS left!

And he gave away 100 million BAHT!

As much as I think, that is a sumn of money, I would LOVE to have (so I could give a bunch of that to people in need!)...don't expect me to sing hymns and praises for that!

Again: give away 10 billion DOLLARS...still left with 4 billion DOLLARS...gives away 100 million BAHT!

Laughable!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Let's be very clear about this: the guy could give away 10 billion DOLLARS and still have 4 billion DOLLARS left!

And he gave away 100 million BAHT!

As much as I think, that is a sumn of money, I would LOVE to have (so I could give a bunch of that to people in need!)...don't expect me to sing hymns and praises for that!

Again: give away 10 billion DOLLARS...still left with 4 billion DOLLARS...gives away 100 million BAHT!

Laughable!

That is his net worth though, assets and things

Sure he hasnt got the money sitting in a bank 

Kudos to him for stepping up. Although they were rather vague about the rest of the super rich within Thailand. I wonder how many are really putting their money where their mouths are? Anyone heard any stories of others?

Charoen Pokphand Group patriarch Dhanin Chearavanont, Thailand’s richest man with a net worth of US$14.1 billion (456.8 billion baht), has spent Bt100 million of that money to build a factory making 100,000 free surgical masks per day for healthcare workers. Several of Dhanin’s wealthy peers have also donated expensive medical equipment for the treatment of Covid-19 patients, particularly ventilators and negative pressure isolation rooms.

• Like 1

If the billionaires of the world had a social conscience many of the worlds ills would be under control, instead they create and invest in things that create illness and disharmony.

I don't deny they try to do some good but their philanthropy just doesn't seem to be enough and for some it is little more than self promotion and a tax right off.

Now if governments could get them to pay all the tax that is due, would things be different?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

What's wrong with some posters on here,what does it matter how much % of his wealth he donated,and 100,000 mil ain't chicken feed,he still donated,why are some so obsessed about this.

Cp are a despicable company

• Like 2

Just now, Greenhill said:

So, the 'very kind & generous', Khun Dhanin has donated 100 million baht from his vast fortune of 456.8 BILLION baht?     Same like me donating 10 bt.   I'm not impressed!!!!

What is your net worth and how much have you donated ?

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

So the guy made an investment of 100M baht, to produce masks to sell in his own shops (7-Eleven), and will give away 100,000 masks a day, probably the first day or two, to offset some tax. The rest, he will likely sell in 7-eleven for a margin of 2,000%, i.e pay 1 baht to make, sell with 20 baht.

Is that just what you think might happen or are those facts ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is that just what you think might happen or are those facts ?

They will be facts when he starts selling them in his own shops. First he's got to build the factory, no?

They are a massive conglomerate anyway, with 8 business lines, covering 13 business groups, and investments in 21 countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charoen_Pokphand

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

That is his net worth though, assets and things

Sure he hasnt got the money sitting in a bank 

14 BILLION DOLLARS!

So he had 100 Million baht of that available!

Okay then...glory, glory hallelujah!

• Haha 1