Thai billionaires dip into deep pockets to fight Covid-19

webfact

10 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

14 BILLION DOLLARS!

So he had 100 Million baht of that available!

Okay then...glory, glory hallelujah!

What are all your assets worth in total, house,cars , savings etc ?

How much have  you donated ?

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Not being a billionaire I  am only guessing but it would be hard to let go of a big chunk of money you schemed and manipulated and maybe even lied to make.  I think it's just human nature to become obsessed with money and asset. 

He may be "worth" several; billion dollars, but does relate to liquidity and disposable assets??

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Charoen Pokphand Group patriarch Dhanin Chearavanont, Thailand’s richest man with a net worth of US$14.1 billion (456.8 billion baht), has spent Bt100 million of that money to build a factory making 100,000 free surgical masks per day for healthcare workers.

I just left Big C Sattahip. At some point all the tape was removed from the non food aisles and all items are available for purchase. At the same time all the small vendor booths selling the same items are not allowed to open. Charoen must be making a killing. 

So much so that they're able to build their own mask factory so in the future the middle man will be removed from that product when it hits Big C shelves. 

Thanks a million. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

He may be "worth" several; billion dollars, but does relate to liquidity and disposable assets??

He could easily borrow the 100 million baht at a rate that most people could only dream at, and at the end of the day both the loan and the factory will be tax deductible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

I just left Big C Sattahip. At some point all the tape was removed from the non food aisles and all items are available for purchase. At the same time all the small vendor booths selling the same items are not allowed to open. Charoen must be making a killing. 

So much so that they're able to build their own mask factory so in the future the middle man will be removed from that product when it hits Big C shelves. 

Thanks a million. 

Are you sure that you didn't mean Thanks a 100 million.????

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

He is building a factory (not yet built) to produce face masks which will be in great demand over the next year. He will be able to write off the cost in tax deductions and I am sure that he won't be giving away the masks for free.

More sour grapes

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/cp-group-delivers-first-100000-masks-from-its-new-factory

Coronavirus Thailand

CP Group delivers first 100,000 masks from its new factory

Group Chairman Dhanin Chearavanont says he is delighted that the factory was built in just five weeks, at a cost of some 100 million baht, and began operations this week, producing surgical face masks for free distribution to medical personnel and the public.

Edited by Susco
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Why are all these high profile charity efforts concerned with medical supplies/ventilators etc when 

a, declared Covid numbers are incredibly low and.

b, more and more people are becoming desperate just for basic necessities like food ?

• Like 2

Dhanin was born to a family of poor Chinese immigrants, and he got immensely wealthy in later life.

I doubt he had a tree that grew money, but rather that he got rich through hard work and using his brain, and taking big risks like every self-made businessman.

So in short, something every human being with brains, a lot of luck and hard work can achieve.

So those who are now spitting sour grapes must either be jealous, too lazy to work or too dumb to run a business, otherwise they would be as rich as Dhanin.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Dhanin was born to a family of poor Chinese immigrants, and he got immensely wealthy in later life.

I doubt he had a tree that grew money, but rather that he got rich through hard work and using his brain, and taking big risks like every self-made businessman.

So in short, something every human being with brains, a lot of luck and hard work can achieve.

So those who are now spitting sour grapes must either be jealous, too lazy to work or too dumb to run a business, otherwise they would be as rich as Dhanin.

Corruption, selling regurgitated mechanically separated slop

A post and a reply in violation of the following forum rule have been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in an immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:10 AM, Grumpy John said:

In a story designed to promote how wonderful Thai billionaires are I have just one question:  What are they donating that isn't tax deductable?

Do you think they should pay tax on money donated to charity then? It’s still a net donation anyway.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Susco said:

More sour grapes

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/cp-group-delivers-first-100000-masks-from-its-new-factory

Coronavirus Thailand

Group Chairman Dhanin Chearavanont says he is delighted that the factory was built in just five weeks, at a cost of some 100 million baht, and began operations this week, producing surgical face masks for free distribution to medical personnel and the public.

...and after the pandemic is "oficially" over, he will dismantle his newly buildt factory and go for another money bath in his safe...right?!

10 hours ago, Susco said:

There is a difference between sour grapes and criticizm.

AFAIK CP are fighting a minimum wage of THB 300 per day, tooth and nail!

There is one way of getting rich, that I don't condone, especially if at the end, this ammounts to 14 Billion Dollars!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

There is a difference between sour grapes and criticizm.

AFAIK CP are fighting a minimum wage of THB 300 per day, tooth and nail!

There is one way of getting rich, that I don't condone, especially if at the end, this ammounts to 14 Billion Dollars!

True, there is a difference between sour grapes and criticism.  There are people I have met in Thailand who are far better off than I but I don't say disparaging things about them because of it.  I like others here see disparity between the different classes of Thai.  And unlike Australia or the USA were anyone can achieve greatness, here in Thailand that is not possible because of the class system.   Sure some can get up a level....maybe 2 but I doubt it for the many.  There are those at the peasant level who will always be there....they are in the tens of millions.  So don't bring envy into the argument as it just ain't so. 

34 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Noooooooo...the fact, that at some point he for sure will make money of his generous whatever, does not matter!

At all!

Great, I'm glad you agree that he does with HIS money what he wants

14 hours ago, Susco said:

More sour grapes

Coronavirus Thailand

Not sour grapes at all.

Thank you for pointing out my error about the factory. My bad.

Good for him for doing that job, but how for long will the masks be free?

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If the factory runs at a loss he can claim for a tax relief which I am sure his accountants will do.

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

True, there is a difference between sour grapes and criticism.  There are people I have met in Thailand who are far better off than I but I don't say disparaging things about them because of it.  I like others here see disparity between the different classes of Thai.  And unlike Australia or the USA were anyone can achieve greatness, here in Thailand that is not possible because of the class system.   Sure some can get up a level....maybe 2 but I doubt it for the many.  There are those at the peasant level who will always be there....they are in the tens of millions.  So don't bring envy into the argument as it just ain't so. 

And yet the GINI coefficient for the USA is significantly higher than it is for Thailand, indicating a more uneven distribution of wealth in the States than in Thailand (Australia and the UK are not far off Thailand’s figure). Maybe go home if you want to become a social activist rather than posting patently inaccurate rubbish on here?