Chiang Mai: "Irresponsible" Thai and foreign cyclists on Doi Suthep could spread virus

webfact

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Riding up Doi Suthep for a fun ride must be more important than life threatening viruses for these bikers.

Even in Nazi Germany the UK, people are allowed out once per day for excersize.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

there is a cycling app, Strava.  for clowns who ride with others, strong wind, behind a car, and then act like they are faster than they really are.  

anyhow, yesterday, in Thailand, there was a group ride of like 50+ cyclists taking their picture all next to each other.  all Thais, and nobody is complaining.  i won't link anything....either believe me or not.  

trust me, this is a farang thing.  

come on...IF you are with your friends and family and some dirty farang shows up........someone will always blame the new guy.  always

and it's easy to hate the farang, almost acceptable.  don't worry farang, in 100-years it will be better.

it's funny, all the farangs who got mad at the word farang aren't around

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

There is no doubt as I speak to my friends the reduced activity in everyday living, and the close proximity of the fridge are taking their toll...on the waistline

Cyclists should, like all others keep their distance, not difficult, organise a time trial type or solo ride, and don't congregate at the start or a midway rest point unless you obey the rules

Perhaps the photo is archive material but the message is clear don't spoil it for all other cyclists by encouraging draconian rules against cyclists

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

There is no doubt as I speak to my friends the reduced activity in everyday living, and the close proximity of the fridge are taking their toll...on the waistline

Cyclists should, like all others keep their distance, not difficult, organise a time trial type or solo ride, and don't congregate at the start or a midway rest point unless you obey the rules

Perhaps the photo is archive material but the message is clear don't spoil it for all other cyclists by encouraging draconian rules against cyclists

Yes they dont even follow the  Rules that other road users have to follow.There a Bloody Menace round here with their Bum Waggin Fancy Dress all showing off. Cant stand the pesky Me Mes Thai or Ferangs.????‍♂️

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Yes they dont even follow the  Rules that other road users have to follow.There a Bloody Menace round here with their Bum Waggin Fancy Dress all showing off. Cant stand the pesky Me Mes Thai or Ferangs.????‍♂️

yeah can't stand them eithe, wait.. who are you talking about again?

• Like 1

These various comments here about farang bias are shameful and pointless — most of these cyclists are local, but that is completely beside the point! The only point is that they have been riding in groups. The local rules for outdoor exercise say do not wear a mask, nevertheless most people have been wearing one for the air pollution, well it's finally clean air now, so people can actually breathe clean air when outdoors and away from others. Personally I ride solo, specially during these times. I stopped riding outdoors for the last month for both the air quality and the virus situation.  Wearing a face cover to comply with the rules and please the watchful eyes is not a problem in my opinion (however, to be correct, the rules do seem to say that for outdoor exercise don't wear a mask — see the image above post #37). I do not understand either why there are group rides organized during these times, if the authorities have made it clear for people to stay cautious and conform to the rules. Many of these comments here err on the side of hate speech frankly and should be moderated IMHO.

Edited by tarmovannas
minor typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

As covid-19 infects the lungs and makes breathing difficult I’d imagine being able to cycle up to the temple is pretty good proof that you’re not carrying the virus. 

I think you haven't understood the meaning of the word asymptomatic.

1 hour ago, tarmovannas said:

oh and the photo seems like from yesterday to me, if you bother to read the original article, it says those photos and video were taken yesterday afternoon

Fair enough, then it does seem pretty irresponsible. The only group rides I know of were stopped a while ago as far as I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarmovannas said:

oh and the photo seems like from yesterday to me, if you bother to read the original article, it says those photos and video were taken yesterday afternoon

Which seems a bit odd as every cyclist I knew cycled up early in the morning.

I'd go up at 7:30am (quite late), and be having coffee in CM by 10:00am

I don't believe the story at all.

It's fake anti-foreigner propaganda, nothing else.

You can't see any foreigners in the photo, all Thai faces blurred to prevent litigation.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, tarmovannas said:

So you measure all the cyclists in the world against one absurd example?

In Thailand yes, suggest a flick through Cyclists Thailand vids on YT and watch the Clowns behaviour. Im an Falcon Rider of yesteryear and a great fan of the Sport but not a fan of racing on open public roads. then denying it. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Which seems a bit odd as every cyclist I knew cycled up early in the morning.

I'd go up at 7:30am (quite late), and be having coffee in CM by 10:00am

That's okay, there are so many cyclists here, can't know all of them ???? and yesterday was a Sunday too.. and still a bit wet in the morning, many locals don't like that and wait to go ride when it dries up ???? 

4 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

In Thailand yes, suggest a flick through Cyclists Thailand vids on YT and watch the Clowns behaviour. Im an Falcon Rider of yesteryear and a great fan of the Sport but not a fan of racing on open public roads. then denying it. 

I am well aware of who and what you are talking about, utterly appalling behaviour, but completely irrelevant to bring up here — it has nothing to do with all the proper cyclists in Thailand, and anywhere else for that matter. To stay on the topic, legally speaking, it seems the mistake for these cyclists was organizing group rides during a time of national emergency decree where group activities are not allowed, and to be noted, these are local people — trust me, they are speaking about this article WAY more between themselves and all over their social media than any farangs on TV or anywhere else for that matter.  Honest people make honest mistakes sometimes, but to bring up an absurd case of complete irresponsibility, makes no sense and has no relation to any of this.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah anyone who cycles uphill knows you can't wear a mask, just can't get enough air in

Actually that is complete nonsense. I have done countless rides wearing N95 masks for hours on end, whatever hills or not, I've done vo2max hill intervals in an N95 mask, just this year training for the Ang Khang and Inthanon challenge races, when CM already had crazy AQI. I've done border runs from CM to Mae Sai and back wearing N95 mask, two days, 9 hours cycling — back in mid-March when the AQI was 400 even 600 on those days, when I decided to stay in CM and not go to Europe for obvious reasons. So yeah, there is no problem to ride bikes wearing a mask, just have to get used to it — the only catch probably is that you need to be healthy and fit as well, but if you take it easy enough and keep it aerobic, you get used to it quick enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again...It's easy... go to s..trav...a   dot    com    and find the names of who are riding.

then find them on Facebook.

then fine them 10,000 per ride, plus 10,000 for not keeping 100 meters from people (on a bike, it's way more than 2 meters.  more like 10 is OK).  Then fine them 100,000 because it's not me.  

but only fine the farang.  

the nice thing about the site is it WILL show who you rode with.

you see farang with 1000000000 other farangs....well, i want their bikes!!  they can be up to 300,000 baht.  

went to the market tonight.....tens of people together, not everyone wearing masks, and i even saw a group of cyclists.  but they were Thai, so i smiled and said, "dirty farang!!!"

lol