Chiang Mai: "Irresponsible" Thai and foreign cyclists on Doi Suthep could spread virus

webfact

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

Mainly the foreigners I would think.

Do you know that or as I suspect ...you are guessing .!  Large number of cyclists in C/Mai . We see them riding past our house most days and more so on the weekends . 95% of them are Thais . So I think you're all b/s

• Like 2

Go on a bike ride is much healthier than stuff your face with food from Makro...

exercise more and eat less...50% of usa CV deaths have obesity as an underlying health condition...

good advice - bike more eat less...

the article is total nonsense isolating bicyclists as a group violating social distance rules...

Hill climbing Bicyclists are a very healthy group of people...

check out those unhealthy people standing in free food lines is a much higher at risk group of people of having and transmitting the virus than a healthy physically active group...

the article is trying to create a story from a non story....

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tarmovannas said:

Actually that is complete nonsense. I have done countless rides wearing N95 masks for hours on end, whatever hills or not, I've done vo2max hill intervals in an N95 mask, just this year training for the Ang Khang and Inthanon challenge races, when CM already had crazy AQI. I've done border runs from CM to Mae Sai and back wearing N95 mask, two days, 9 hours cycling — back in mid-March when the AQI was 400 even 600 on those days, when I decided to stay in CM and not go to Europe for obvious reasons. So yeah, there is no problem to ride bikes wearing a mask, just have to get used to it — the only catch probably is that you need to be healthy and fit as well, but if you take it easy enough and keep it aerobic, you get used to it quick enough.

Your mask gets pretty manky, though, and it's a great breeding ground for bacteria if you want to get sick.

From a COVID-19 perspective, the benefit of a mask is that it kills the velocty of the air you breath out, preventing the spread of water droplets that might carry the disease; and maybe intercepts the larger droplets, if you or the other person is coughing, sneezing, breathing heavily or ranting.  When you're out on your bike, and clear of sickly sneezers and ranters, a mask probably does little good and more harm.  But make sure you have one handy, for the benefit of the interview with the police.

33 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Go on a bike ride is much healthier than stuff your face with food from Makro...

exercise more and eat less...50% of usa CV deaths have obesity as an underlying health condition...

the article is total nonsense isolating bicyclists as a group violating social distance rules...

check out those unhealthy people standing in free food lines is a much higher at risk group of people of having and transmitting the virus than a healthy physically active group...

In Malaysia they publish quite a lot of information about COVID-19 fatalities, and possible contributing factors.
1) A lot of COVID-19 victims attended the same religous events as other COVID-19 victims
2) Diabets and coronary problems are common amongst COVID-19 fatalities and may contribute
3) Old people seem to be more at risk than younger people; though to be fair, that is also true of most things except cot death.

They don't publish whether the person was a cyclist, or whether they had been apprehended by the police for going out jogging.

39 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Everyone hates cyclists.  It's jealousy; they wish that they could safely go through red lights, and that they were out enjoying themselves, instead of forming in a traffic jam.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Your mask gets pretty manky, though, and it's a great breeding ground for bacteria if you want to get sick.

From a COVID-19 perspective, the benefit of a mask is that it kills the velocty of the air you breath out, preventing the spread of water droplets that might carry the disease; and maybe intercepts the larger droplets, if you or the other person is coughing, sneezing, breathing heavily or ranting.  When you're out on your bike, and clear of sickly sneezers and ranters, a mask probably does little good and more harm.  But make sure you have one handy, for the benefit of the interview with the police.

Sure, well aware, but thanks for pointing it out. Personally I've been using masks for air quality (not so much the virus, when out cycling, as I don't really interact with anyone), and I was just making a point, wearing a mask is not a problem for exercising or even proper training. I've used masks for quite many years now seasonally when cycling in bad air quality, so do have plenty of experience. Bacteria is also not same as virus, generally not so much worried about bacteria, there's bacteria everywhere out in the world and inside of us. Viruses are a different story. For sure if you get your mask covered in particles containing the SARS-CoV-2 virus, it can potentially become more hazardous than good for you,  the best way to take care of that is to carefully/correctly remove and steam the mask for at least 30 minutes (any part of the mask cannot be in contact with metal during this, so can use a wooden stick to hang it over a steamer pot), then set to dry. Also masks can be cleaned (from bacteria), compressed air is one good way, washing with water can be done as well (depending on the mask type), but definitely not alcohol as it will destroy the material's filtering qualities. Best would be of course to take a new mask each time you go out. If you're using a mask for the virus, you should put it on correctly at home in a safe environment and not remove until you are back at home, so carrying a mask with you and putting it on anywhere where you cannot ensure safety and cleanliness is not the best idea. All that said, definitely best to carry a safe clean mask in a double zip lock bag in the back pocket just in case, now that the air quality is good, a buff scarf to cover the face while riding outdoors alone should be well sufficient — for appearances sake, though it does technically provide some little protection going both ways as well.

Of course not.

Don't be ridiculous.

Bikers ain't breaking the social distance, not unless they want to risk piercing each other wheels.

The unnamed local, he would sputter and cough if even tried to cycle the first etape. Real bikers don't.

Aren't the unnamed locals sneezing and sputtering when walking the stairs up the wat, let's prohibit that?

Coughing? That's the air, not the bike.

Bike on.

I stay home, not a biker anyway ????

9 hours ago, tarmovannas said:

Actually that is complete nonsense. I have done countless rides wearing N95 masks for hours on end, whatever hills or not, I've done vo2max hill intervals in an N95 mask, just this year training for the Ang Khang and Inthanon challenge races, when CM already had crazy AQI. I've done border runs from CM to Mae Sai and back wearing N95 mask, two days, 9 hours cycling — back in mid-March when the AQI was 400 even 600 on those days, when I decided to stay in CM and not go to Europe for obvious reasons. So yeah, there is no problem to ride bikes wearing a mask, just have to get used to it — the only catch probably is that you need to be healthy and fit as well, but if you take it easy enough and keep it aerobic, you get used to it quick enough.

Depends how steep the hills are and of course fitness and don't forget far higher risk in a supermarket with far more people vs climbing a hill

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I get it now. If I own a bicycle I don't have to follow the same stay at home order as everyone else. Oh, and I get to call myself a cyclist. 

Get a bicycle do some exercise and reduce that obesity i see everywhere and pick a steep hill and wear a N95 mask see if you can breath and let us know

Theres s few Stick Insects up there who recon the Air Quality is not endangering their health. . one Clown posted yesterday it was good again, So now they argue all the recorded Data is wrong, the 2 apps on my phone are as well. Lycra should have a Health Warning it clearly rots the Brain. I say again the Few. Not that the Gobs wont react. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Get a bicycle do some exercise and reduce that obesity i see everywhere and pick a steep hill and wear a N95 mask see if you can breath and let us know

Nobody is wearing N95 masks when cycling. A simple cloth mask is adequate. I use a mask I got from Tesco, and even going uphill, my old body huffing and puffing, it's fine. Is it a nuisance? Yes. Is it the responsible thing to do? Also yes.

14 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Nobody cycling up there can have Covid-19, they need to breath uninhibited. And they all will have good lungs, which means good chances to survive even a heavy Virus attack. Snitches, go home and let them exercise!

I don't think you understand how a virus works. You get it, you show no signs for days but can be infectious. You go out cycling with no mask, spreading the virus even more than a person walking. THEN you start showing symptoms after having potentially infected a WHOLE LOTTA PEOPLE. We don't know enough about this novel virus yet. It's showing signs that a person can suffer it once then get reinfected later on. It's starting to show that young people are getting strokes from it. It's showing signs of attacking various organs in the body. Firchrissake, is it really too much for you to wear a mask when outside?

On 4/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, LomSak27 said:

More than 95 per cent of the cases of wuhan virus originated directly or one step from china. However Minister ANutin had his say, then they had a Dr. Manoon Leechawengwong, claim in the Thai media that the National Stadium Boxing incident that resulted in so many cluster, was the "Italian Strain" from a thai back from Italy, totally made up, nice sound bite. 

Yes I am getting more cranky, but when all this pandemic is through I am going to give a serious look at the retirement folder other country options. Nothing to do with costs. 

Aloha 

Yes, thats very true, when they blamed the thong lo party virus infection on a Hong kong person, party attendees on facebook, sweared blind that it was nonsense, and no foreigners were ever present, publicly known patient zero in Italy, was a chinese tourist from Wuhan, China, publicly known patient zero here was a tourist from Wuhan, China, the han chinese nationalists, in cahorts with the men in green here, i am never fooled by their thai citizenship/ids, are really pushing the same racism that is happening in china towards all foreigners, just like they use the water flowing from tibet to the mekong as taps, to control, they will do the same with foreign residents in se asia, many in Singapore have complained how easy it is for new chinese to emigrate there, and how difficult it is for many other nationalities to now do the same, it really is a co-ordinated push