CONFIRMED: Thailand extends ban on inbound passenger flights until May 31

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand extends ban on inbound passenger flights until May 31

2020-04-06T112702Z_1_LYNXMPEG350SC_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Passengers are seen at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International airport as Thailand will temporarily ban all passenger flights from landing in the country to curb the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Thailand,  REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File photo

Thailand has extended a ban on incoming passenger flights until the end of May in a bid to curb the coronavirus outbreak, the country’s aviation regulators said on Monday.

The ban which was first introduced on April 4, has been extended until May 31, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand confirmed on its website.

The only inbound flights permitted are state or military aircraft, repatriations, cargo and emergencies.

The extension will come into effect from May 1, 2020 at 00:01 am. until May 31, 2020 at 23:59. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-27

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

So much for the article a few hours ago stating she-wanna-boom was ready to accept certain inbound domestic flights beginning May 1st

I believe the new story relates in inbound international flights, not domestic.

Edited by Upnotover
sp
  • Like 2

China is pretty much back to normal now. Chinese are presumably climbing the wall for a bit of travel and adventure. And the best welcome they can expect is here. Chinese tourists will not be greeted with smiles in Europe/USA any time soon.

So question: does anyone know the prebooking numbers for China-Thailand flights and hotel rooms starting June? My guess through the roof.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sucit said:

Does that time-frame apply to the curfew as well?

That is separate and will be announced on Tuesday.  Seems certain that the Emergency Decree will be extended, but with some restrictions relaxed.  That could include the curfew.

6 minutes ago, Why Me said:

China is pretty much back to normal now. Chinese are presumably climbing the wall for a bit of travel and adventure. And the best welcome they can expect is here. Chinese tourists will not be greeted with smiles in Europe/USA any time soon.

So question: does anyone know the prebooking numbers for China-Thailand flights and hotel rooms starting June? My guess through the roof.

can't speak for the rest of china, but hainan is mostly back to normal.  all businesses are now open, including hotels and tourist sites (i've been told).  still have a 14-day quarantine for chinese from the mainland, so no idea how much traffic those sites are getting.  have a friend who owns a 30-room hotel on the beach, all rooms now full with mainland guests.

public schools are open.  colleges and universities have permission to open after mayday holiday.  classes likely will begin near the end of may, as many students from the mainland will have to undergo quarantine.

they're back in construction mode.  went on a bike ride to the beach last weekend, long stretch of road resurfacing ongoing.  new convention center, hotels and high-rise apartments going up.

no word yet on when they'll drop the quarantine requirement for selected overseas arrivals.

To allow incoming flights is perhaps the highest risk. You could put them into quarantine for a while. But no traveler will like the idea - and perhaps quarantine on the way back too.... But whatever you do - if they get sick here in Thailand they will be a problem since they will need treatment and can't be flown back until they are healthy or dead. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

can't speak for the rest of china, but hainan is mostly back to normal.  all businesses are now open, including hotels and tourist sites (i've been told).  still have a 14-day quarantine for chinese from the mainland, so no idea how much traffic those sites are getting.  have a friend who owns a 30-room hotel on the beach, all rooms now full with mainland guests.

public schools are open.  colleges and universities have permission to open after mayday holiday.  classes likely will begin near the end of may, as many students from the mainland will have to undergo quarantine.

they're back in construction mode.  went on a bike ride to the beach last weekend, long stretch of road resurfacing ongoing.  new convention center, hotels and high-rise apartments going up.

no word yet on when they'll drop the quarantine requirement for selected overseas arrivals.

What is the deal with fees for all these schools. Anyone know? 

Are the closed, private schools refunding/collecting fees? What about colleges?

Edited by sucit

No incoming flights until May 31

By The Nation

800_907d32e7984254e.jpg?v=1587975781

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has extended its restriction on incoming flights until May 31.

CAAT director-general Chula Sukmanop announced on Monday (April 27) that all passenger flights will be banned from landing in Thai airports from May 1 to 31.

However, state or military aircraft, emergency landings, technical landings, humanitarian and relief flights, as well as cargo aircraft, will be exempted.

CAAT added that all passenger aircraft will come under the supervision of the Department of Disease Control once the restrictions are lifted.

This is the fourth time a temporary restriction has been placed on flights to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386849

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-27

1 hour ago, worrab said:

There can be no tourism as there are no travelers that can get the Health Certificate or Insurance from their countries so they can visit here!!

I have health insurance, can get a fit to fly certificate and have a retirement visa. I have been held up in japan for over a month. Since they first banned foreigners from entering Thailand. I'm ready to go home. And I have been self quarantined for the last 3 weeks.

• Like 1