CONFIRMED: Thailand extends ban on inbound passenger flights until May 31

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

What are they not telling us about this virus <deleted>?

Can understand the month ban to get hospitals ready for more cases.

But now an entire another month............when there are 9 cases found in Thailand........Hospitals much better prepared...........

Billions of baht lost from potential tourism

IT does not add up

They are not telling the full story... Given that THAI Airways have already cancelled most international flights until 1st JULY, don't be surprised if there's another month of international passenger flight arrivals being banned.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't say anything about Border crossing............ so If Malaysia doesn't do the same......... Can fly into KL and train into BKK ?????

-------------------------------

This doesn't only affect Thai tourism, its difficult to get a direct flight to Lao/Cambodia/ Myanmar  &  Vietnam

11 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

so they've gone and cancelled May 1st and May 4th public holidays

i'm sure workers who thought they had a 4-day weekend will be delighted

Where was that announcement made Cyril?

22 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I was looking at flightradar24 a week or so back during the flight ban and noticed a flight heading south as it flew over Bangkok.

This Learjet 25 took off from the city of Lucknow in India and landed at U-Tapao airport.

Kind of strange during times like this. I wonder who the special people were on this flight?

I also wonder if these special people were subject to the quarantine period.

I've noticed quite a few private aviation jets on FR24 taking off/landing at Thai airports recently too. Thought same as you. Maybe military top brass?

18 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I was looking at flightradar24 a week or so back during the flight ban and noticed a flight heading south as it flew over Bangkok.

This Learjet 25 took off from the city of Lucknow in India and landed at U-Tapao airport.

Kind of strange during times like this. I wonder who the special people were on this flight?

I also wonder if these special people were subject to the quarantine period.

I think Flightradar24 also publishes aircrafts' registration right? With that, just head over to the planespotters website and key in the registration letters/numbers. If data of the aircraft has been entered into planespotters' database, details of the aircraft will be in the search results including year of make, model, previous and current owner/s. That should give you a pretty good idea who could be on board that flight.

3 minutes ago, outsider said:

I think Flightradar24 also publishes aircrafts' registration right? With that, just head over to the planespotters website and key in the registration letters/numbers. If data of the aircraft has been entered into planespotters' database, details of the aircraft will be in the search results including year of make, model, previous and current owner/s. That should give you a pretty good idea who could be on board that flight.

Yes but many (if not most) private aviation jets are charters or fractional ownership. Hard to prove the real owner and impossible to know the passenger manifest.

I once saw a big private jet parked in Nakhon Si Thammarat airport in 2015 (my local airport back then). Very unusual to see anything other than Thai commercial airliners there. I searched online for the registration and it turned out to be registered to a Spanish aviation company - no clue to who the user was.

14 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Where was that announcement made Cyril?

someone i know working in a government job has told me they'll have to work May 1st and 4th now, but also saw it mentioned here (though it only says 'proposed'): -

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1161610-thai-govt-to-decide-on-extending-emergency-decree-easing-covid-19-restrictions/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-15345862

Edited by cyril sneer
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

I have health insurance, can get a fit to fly certificate and have a retirement visa. I have been held up in japan for over a month. Since they first banned foreigners from entering Thailand. I'm ready to go home. And I have been self quarantined for the last 3 weeks.

Wow. You are the first one to have said they have actually been able to fulfil the Thai authorities wishes. Well done and hope you can get back as soon as all this is over. 

47 minutes ago, sucit said:

What is the deal with fees for all these schools. Anyone know? 

Are the closed, private schools refunding/collecting fees? What about colleges?

i know the colleges and the universities have been holding classes online, so assume they are still collecting tuition fees.  i don't know how much of the totals are tuition, how much room and board, how much is government provided.

i can ask my neighbors.  some are paying huge amounts to send their kids to private kindergartens and primary schools.

1 hour ago, sprq said:

Lots of measures don't make sense, e.g. ban on alcohol sales, ban on foreign exchange services by banks (yes, really), bookshops closed (my peeve), etc. This Is Thailand.

‘ban on foreign exchange services’.....?   Meaning you can’t change foreign cash money at present ....is that correct?

I’m stuck outside the country and can’t get back so I’m a bit out of touch with the latest info...

This actually makes sense if the goal is to prevent the spread of the virus so I'm surprised they're doing it. Until there is worldwide control of the virus be it herd immunity or a vaccine it's impossible to start letting people into the country without viral spreading. I'm surprised they didn't open flights to select markets like China though this would make sense in appearance only. I believe some countries will soon accept the inevitability of having to accept viral spreading balanced against economic interests and at some point Thailand will be one.

55 minutes ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

I have health insurance, can get a fit to fly certificate and have a retirement visa. I have been held up in japan for over a month. Since they first banned foreigners from entering Thailand. I'm ready to go home. And I have been self quarantined for the last 3 weeks.

I’m stuck outside.

I don’t think ‘Health Insurance’ covers a pandemic does it.

i can get a fit to fly cert easily....but I don’t seem to be able to get any insurance that covers specifically COVID as seems to be required.

Can you recommend a company....?

2 hours ago, hydraides said:

What are they not telling us about this virus <deleted>?

Can understand the month ban to get hospitals ready for more cases.

But now an entire another month............when there are 9 cases found in Thailand........Hospitals much better prepared...........

Billions of baht lost from potential tourism

IT does not add up

It adds up just fine they do not want cases brought in from another country by air

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The costs of this are starting to amount with the incoming International tourist market held over for another month at least .. And put's a block on ex-pats caught outside of Thailand from returning for the same time span .. 

Yes, I am in Europe. haven't seen my Thai wife in 3 months. It could be 3 more months. Somehow the very wise gov forget to allow spouses of Thai citizens back in!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The costs of this are starting to amount with the incoming International tourist market held over for another month at least .. And put's a block on ex-pats caught outside of Thailand from returning for the same time span .. 

The UK should take note & impose inbound flight restrictions rather than passengers arriving from all over the world & not being met in a controlled situation. If you want to visit/return to the UK you should be made aware that you will be taken to a government quarantine centre & be held for the minimum 14 days. If your not keen on that stay put wherever you are...How the UK gov can be thinking of loosening restrictions is farcical, theres 5,000+ people dying of Covid-19 every week.......Amazing Great Britain!

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

It doesn't say anything about Border crossing............ so If Malaysia doesn't do the same......... Can fly into KL and train into BKK ?????

-------------------------------

This doesn't only affect Thai tourism, its difficult to get a direct flight to Lao/Cambodia/ Myanmar  &  Vietnam

Sure, this is only to do with air travel.

Hopefully land border crossings will be allowed before the end of May.

7 minutes ago, LoS itaint said:

The UK should take note & impose inbound flight restrictions rather than passengers arriving from all over the world & not being met in a controlled situation. If you want to visit/return to the UK you should be made aware that you will be taken to a government quarantine centre & be held for the minimum 14 days. If your not keen on that stay put wherever you are...How the UK gov can be thinking of loosening restrictions is farcical, theres 5,000+ people dying of Covid-19 every week.......Amazing Great Britain!

You're deluding yourself if you think incoming air passengers are responsible for the high numbers of Covid 19 cases and deaths in the UK.  You need to look a lot closer to home!

3 hours ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

The chinese are the ones that for the world into this situation in the first place. They should be the last ones anybody would want to do business with. Plus they only do business with Chinese owned hotels, restaurants, shops, buses and airlines. So the local Thai business do not benefit one bit. 

That's not true if they only do business with Chinese owned hotels. Even if that's true, Chinese owned hotels also employ Thai people so Thai people also benefits from Chinese investments. 

7 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I believe the new story relates in inbound international flights, not domestic.

Yes you are correct the new story says exactly that. The one i commented on didn't but i had already read about the exclusion for international, thus the comment.

3 hours ago, LoS itaint said:

All is coming soon for the next stage, once they get the numbers down they're aiming to keep them there and that involved a coronavirus act, quarantine, testing and all sorts of other stuff.

If you break your quarantine in the UK I expect people will be sent to prison - it's coming soon.

I saw a video of te government quarantining Thais being repatriated here, being put two to a tent outdoors, no AC.  Nobody, tourist orwhatever, is going to want to send 14 days in those conditions. And they will keep quarantining arrivals for an indefinite period of time.  Herei s a link-  just substitute Thaiand wherever America is used, and it will fit.  There is a better solution - Quarantining works in other countries, it can work in America- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDLNvUWubk

8 hours ago, skorp13 said:

So much for the article a few hours ago stating she-wanna-boom was ready to accept certain inbound domestic flights beginning May 1st

"She-wanna-boom?"  I've never heard that before.  And I'll never forget it.   That'll have to go on my internal vocabulary speed-dial.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hydraides said:

The Chinese are the biggest market to Thailand

Chinese have hardly had any or no cases last few weeks. Chinese would be able to get health certificates

China's schools are going back, cities are opening back up. So low to no numbers might be fairly truthful.

Dosen't make sense to have a full blanket whole month ban on international flights. They could accept flights from certain countries

Maybe the government doesn't believe the Chinese 100%.....not many other countries do either!