CONFIRMED: Thailand extends ban on inbound passenger flights until May 31

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Wonder if Thailand was the only place to ban alcohol.  Vietnam didn't.  Doubt Cambodia did.  Thai government has some very odd, puritanical ideas since the military seizure of power.  The government can expect 0 help from the controlling duopoly for a long time to come.   

Actually it started as far back as 1939 when a series of 'Thai Cultural Dictates" where dictated by the military dictator and declared PM Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram.  Ironically the dictates are xenophobic with the second 'mandate' targeting business dealing with foreigners and warning that foreigners are a threat to Thailand.  But then on the flip side in 1941 a mandate is issued stating that Thai commoner dress is no longer acceptable and that Thais must instead essentially dress in 'polite' Western attire.  So just like that the upper crust of Thailand's social strata embraces what is essentially Western Christian dress standards and morality.  The Anti-alcohol movement is also a by-product of the same Western Christian morality that obviously is not shared by Thailand's neighbours. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, hydraides said:

What are they not telling us about this virus <deleted>?

Can understand the month ban to get hospitals ready for more cases.

But now an entire another month............when there are 9 cases found in Thailand........Hospitals much better prepared...........

Billions of baht lost from potential tourism

IT does not add up

Maybe they think, like other more intelligent governments, that stopping international travelers from entering is a good way of eliminating a substantial risk in spreading the disease. 

On 4/27/2020 at 9:43 AM, hydraides said:

The Chinese are the biggest market to Thailand

Chinese have hardly had any or no cases last few weeks. Chinese would be able to get health certificates

China's schools are going back, cities are opening back up. So low to no numbers might be fairly truthful.

Dosen't make sense to have a full blanket whole month ban on international flights. They could accept flights from certain countries

Do you really believe that China dont have any cases? After all bunch of lies they served and caused to rest of the world? I dont believe, and i dont also believe that masses of Chinese will rush to Thailand cause Chinese economy siffered also and many people lose their jobs, and barely survived. Lets see what happens... 

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I know that's what you were trying to say, but used Singapore as an example as to what happens if they do open up.. A bit misleading..

Why so, it is only their visitors came overland, the international borders are the main point

Very slightly off topic and a very good app to have on your system is " Flight Radar 24 " this will show you what aircraft are moving & if you tap on the plane (presumably a touch screen) it will show all the details of it i.e. where it's come from & where it's going to.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:38 AM, ukrules said:

I was looking at flightradar24 a week or so back during the flight ban and noticed a flight heading south as it flew over Bangkok.

This Learjet 25 took off from the city of Lucknow in India and landed at U-Tapao airport.

Kind of strange during times like this. I wonder who the special people were on this flight?

I also wonder if these special people were subject to the quarantine period.

money talks