Need suggested place in US to relocate family

My elderly (88 year old) aunt and uncle, who were like parents to me, live in New York City, COVID epicenter. I see very little chance there will not be another wave next winter (the current wave is still in the tripe digits for that matter, but on the decrease)  and I would like to get them out of NYC for say 6 months November - May (approx) and looking for suggested places where I could rent them a place. Not another big city, obviously.

They are independent living but do not drive and this is the big constraint. Most of the US, you need a car to get around.

Anyone have any suggestions of say a small town with supermarkets etc in walking distance?

I don:t think they could handle the heat in Thailand even if it were to prove possible to get them here and deal with the visa aspects.

• Like 2

You might want to go on social media as expect there are snowbirds going to Florida for the winter who would rent cheap or free to someone taking care of the house.  Just need to be near supermarket or bus route. 

Sorry can not be of help re locations as have not lived North of Miami for many decades but if looking for rentals logic would be for towns that do not attract visitors and expect Pennsylvania have many old towns on back roads that few travel or stay. 

You might be able to use Google maps to search for markets and apartments if nobody can recommend their hometown.   

There is a bit of a dilemma here of course.

The smaller the city/town the less chance of any transit, which makes that 'walking to the store' even more critical.

One thing to think about are senior citizen apartments. Here in Rapid City they all have minibus' which shuttle residents around to the supermarket and the mall.

One thing I would add, is try to keep them in the most sparsely populated place you can, they are after all in the most vulnerable category

One of the reasons South Dakota was able to avoid a lockdown is the fact that there are so few of us in a really large area, so pretty much by geography and demographics we are socially isolated. Even though the fact that there was the outbreak in the meat packing plant in Sioux Falls, the fact that it's 350 miles away, with pretty much nothing in between has meant the Western part of the State has been hardly affected 

Edited by GinBoy2

So if i had to recommend anywhere it would be somewhere in the Rocky Mountain West.

Rapid City SD, Deadwood SD, Missoula MT, maybe Cheyanne WY, although I'm not a fan of the area.

Then you get to the rather more pricier parts of Colorado. Vail, Beckenwood, although to those in the know it's just 'Breck'.

Fort Colins CO might also be a good choice. Straddles that price point, and the big city/small city thing, although it's flat and boring, it's still close enough to Denver

The smaller towns, like Deadwood, by definition going to be closer to the local supermarket. As you scale up to the likes of Fort Collins, transit becomes available

Edited by GinBoy2

I recommend Amherst or Northampton, MA.  There is once daily train service to Northampton from NYC or Peter Pan Bus with multiple trips per day.  Northampton is a small town while Amherst is very small.  Both have walkable downtowns.  There will be more housing available in Northampton than Amherst.  There are supermarkets, but instacart.com also makes grocery deliveries from Target, Big C, Aldi, and a few others.  Both are quite liberal towns.  Five colleges or unis in the area.

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So if i had to recommend anywhere it would be somewhere in the Rocky Mountain West.

Rapid City SD, Deadwood SD, Missoula MT, maybe Cheyanne WY, although I'm not a fan of the area.

Then you get to the rather more pricier parts of Colorado. Vail, Beckenwood, although to those in the know it's just 'Breck'.

Fort Colins CO might also be a good choice. Straddles that price point, and the big city/small city thing, although it's flat and boring, it's still close enough to Denver

The smaller towns, like Deadwood, by definition going to be closer to the local supermarket. As you scale up to the likes of Fort Collins, transit becomes available

Fort Collins is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country right now. Regularly makes the list of "most livable U.S. cities". It does have good public transportation, an excellent Senior Center, and a very nice climate (cold winters but with mostly dry snow and sunny days). Small college towns are usually a good bet for retired seniors but few have walkable streets (Fort Collins does, but it's very spread out) and supermarkets in the town centers. Supermarkets are dominated by large chains with giant parking lots like Walmart. I hear Silver CIty NM is nice, but probably no public transportation. 

17 hours ago, taxout said:

How do they feel about leaving the apartment they've probably lived in for decades. And a neighborhood they know like the back of their hand. Not to mention friends, doctors, and others who know them.

Moving ageing relatives "for their own good" is one very tough assignment. And when you're not going to be living in the vicinity of their new place to provide a welcome and companionship, it may be far more difficult than just a very tough assignment.

As well, the obvious and convenient choice is some sort of retirement village. But that sort of semi-communal living with other older folks raises its own risks when it comes to the virus, whether in a big or small city.

They want to go. I don:t know how much you know about the situation in NYC but it is truly dreadful and terrifying. They are surrounded by friends and neighbors ill with the virus in a place where the health system has collapsed. This is not an idea I am foisting in them. And not talking about a permanent move, just for the winter months next year.

They would absolutely hate a retirement community of any sort and never set foot in any sort of Senior Center.  I should have mentioned, they are dyed-in-the-wool liberal intellectuals, former writers who have always lived in upper West Side Manhatten so cultural fit has to be considered as well.

Any ideas about Hilo, Hawaii? Culturally I think they:d be fine there but I really don:t know much about the city (other than it is fairly small).

I:ll also have a look at Fort Collins.

Not considering buying anything, just rental and for not more than 6 months.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

They would absolutely hate a retirement community of any sort and never set foot in any sort of Senior Center.  I should have mentioned, they are dyed-in-the-wool liberal intellectuals, former writers who have always lived in upper West Side Manhatten so cultural fit has to be considered as well.

Florida keys, lots of writers and artists around, nice beaches, hotter weather to deter the virus.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I recommend Amherst or Northampton, MA.  There is once daily train service to Northampton from NYC or Peter Pan Bus with multiple trips per day.  Northampton is a small town while Amherst is very small.  Both have walkable downtowns.  There will be more housing available in Northampton than Amherst.  There are supermarkets, but instacart.com also makes grocery deliveries from Target, Big C, Aldi, and a few others.  Both are quite liberal towns.  Five colleges or unis in the area.

MA appears to have one of the largest CV infection populations among all U.S. states at present. Per Johns Hopkins:

In total, 18 states reported more than 10,000 cases (no change), including New York with more than 200,000; New Jersey more than 100,000; and Massachusetts more than 50,000. In total, 35 states (decrease of 2) are reporting widespread community transmission. 

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/COVID-19-Updates---April-27.html?soid=1107826135286&aid=tUqMuxpj3S4

95835946_2020-04-2822_00_15.jpg.97f81d04f206b44c814cd3965150d23e.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:
53 minutes ago, taxout said:

There are nice smaller places up and down the California coast. That'd probably be my own first choice if I were your relatives.

Do you know of any where a car is not necessary?

Santa Barbara or Ventura north of Los Angeles. Culturally oriented (as anywhere in the vincinities of LA). Not too expensive I believe, (I was going to say San Diego as well but for the cost of living.) Small enough to walk around. Serene coastal living. Great weather...

But not Hilo, Sheryl. Who put that name into your head? Whack'em. I used to have a dear new-age friend (into raw food, doesn't drive, can't stand cell phone) who lived there for years. At one time I was considering moving into her senior housing project and we'll get around on my to be purchased used car etc. Still remember her address, still using it now and then as password: kaneohexxx. Rain, lot of,  public transportation dreadful to non-existant, can't remember which. She finally moved to Honolulu to live in a matchbox. Wasn't quite happy there either , lot of homeless and congestion, but at least able to get around on buses. Last thing I heard she was making plan to move to Florida...And yes at one point we were discussing Santa Barbara.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:21 PM, Sheryl said:

My elderly (88 year old) aunt and uncle, who were like parents to me, live in New York City, COVID epicenter. I see very little chance there will not be another wave next winter (the current wave is still in the tripe digits for that matter, but on the decrease)  and I would like to get them out of NYC for say 6 months November - May (approx) and looking for suggested places where I could rent them a place. Not another big city, obviously.

They are independent living but do not drive and this is the big constraint. Most of the US, you need a car to get around.

Anyone have any suggestions of say a small town with supermarkets etc in walking distance?

I don:t think they could handle the heat in Thailand even if it were to prove possible to get them here and deal with the visa aspects.

The problem with a 6 month rental is it would likely need to be an AIRBNB type deal. Apartments would likely have all sorts of restrictions and credit and income checks, etc etc that would make it difficult. But growing up in NJ I can recommend Somerset (08873) near JFK Blvd which has a large supermarket (Stop and Shop) within walking (or Uber) distance. I think many homeowners in the area place rentals on AirBNB. If you need any specific info about distinct locations within Somerset, feel free to PM. 08873 is about 1 hour out of NYC

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Some of the recommendations seem nuts older people mostly do not want to be in freezing cold snowy weather.

Palm Springs are, California is very nice has older folks communities, good weather and very good medical facilities if there is a problem.

Otherwise and probably less costly, Nevada or Arizona with many places/communities for older folks.

If they have lived happily in NYC for most of their lives, trust me they are fine with cold and snowy!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do you know of any where a car is not necessary?

Think about Cape Coral, FL.

It's not super expensive and think they have a city run senior transportation bus otherwise can find a place near the strip where there is shopping.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Some of the recommendations seem nuts older people mostly do not want to be in freezing cold snowy weather.

Palm Springs are, California is very nice has older folks communities, good weather and very good medical facilities if there is a problem.

Otherwise and probably less costly, Nevada or Arizona with many places/communities for older folks.

Is Palm Springs walkble? I.e. can one live there without a car?

• Like 1

Born and raised and lived in New York most of my life .  Still have family on UWS .   I would suggest Charlotte N.C.   Its a great city with temperate climate .  Its not too big , not too small .  Things are close by . They can always call an Uber for short trips if they can not walk too much .  Many neighborhoods provide plenty to do within walking distance .  People are great there as well .  Covid virus was rather mild in that area .  Easy to get back and forth to New York if needed .  If you need more info and places to stay in Charlotte let me know .  

• Like 2