Need suggested place in US to relocate family

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Florida keys, lots of writers and artists around, nice beaches, hotter weather to deter the virus.

My mother purchased a nice little trailer home in a quiet park in central Florida. She paid only $15,000 for it, and it is quite nice. Room enough for her and her husband. They love the place, and the lot rent is only $140 per month. It is a great location, a short drive to the ocean, and has many other retirees in the same park. They use it only in the winter, and the park takes care of it for them the remainder of the year. If you are just looking to rent, I am sure there are many choices.

• Like 2

I'm gonna say this again, and @Sheryl you can chime in on this.

But we're beginning to suggest areas of high population density.

If the reason to get the Hell outta Dodge (NYC) is to avoid a second wave, you need isolated areas, low population, distance between towns and cities to minimize transmission.

I think given this virus' R0 factor thats the key

On 4/28/2020 at 2:18 AM, Sheryl said:

They want to go. I don:t know how much you know about the situation in NYC but it is truly dreadful and terrifying. They are surrounded by friends and neighbors ill with the virus in a place where the health system has collapsed. This is not an idea I am foisting in them. And not talking about a permanent move, just for the winter months next year.

They would absolutely hate a retirement community of any sort and never set foot in any sort of Senior Center.  I should have mentioned, they are dyed-in-the-wool liberal intellectuals, former writers who have always lived in upper West Side Manhatten so cultural fit has to be considered as well.

Any ideas about Hilo, Hawaii? Culturally I think they:d be fine there but I really don:t know much about the city (other than it is fairly small).

I:ll also have a look at Fort Collins.

Not considering buying anything, just rental and for not more than 6 months.

You are basing this all on a second wave you THINK is going to happen? It also starts right about Oct?  Honestly Sheryl you are helpful but this thread of yours sounds like it was made up or something. Where are they living today until Oct or Nov?  Upper West side?  Isn’t this the time period most people are concerned about in NYC? 

Edited by alex8912
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm gonna say this again, and @Sheryl you can chime in on this.

But we're beginning to suggest areas of high population density.

If the reason to get the Hell outta Dodge (NYC) is to avoid a second wave, you need isolated areas, low population, distance between towns and cities to minimize transmission.

I think given this virus' R0 factor thats the key

Yes exactly and the challenge is that they do not drive.

So it is finding a town that is compact enough that they can get to stores etc on foot yet has comparatively low pop density. Doesn't have to be barren, just not super dense like NYC and health system good enough to absorb any COVID cases that occur.

• Like 1
On 4/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, rhodie said:

@Jingthing to the rescue. ???? 

Nope. I got nothing in the U.S.

Probably not for this couple but I would suggest for a 6 months stay Armenia Colombia. No visa needed for a 6 month stay. Perfect temperate climate. Small city. Central area no car needed but also buses, cheap taxis, app cars. Delivery for everything including ATM runs. Nice condos with doormen well under 500 a month. Health care good and affordable to pay retail. Country is in lockdown now like most everywhere but very few cases in the province where Armenia is located. Spanish help by a local easy to obtain as there are many hungry college students. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You are basing this all on a second wave you THINK is going to happen? It also starts right about Oct?  Honestly Sheryl you are helpful but this thread of yours sounds like it was made up or something. Where are they living today until Oct or Nov?  Upper West side?  Isn’t this the time period most people are concerned about in NYC? 

It is not just something I *think* it is based on a careful epidemiological analysis, which i have the training for.

Numerous experts share this conclusion.  As do the policy makers.

Given that the level of exposure in the city now seems only around 20-21% and that even if a vaccine is developed within the year it will take months to a year to roll out, it is hard to envision any scenario in which there is not a second wave. The only question is when but most expect it in the fall or winter as do I.

Obviously they are living there now, but the incidence now is declining and anyway not feasible to do anything about moving them until travel restrictions ease.

47 minutes ago, timendres said:

My mother purchased a nice little trailer home in a quiet park in central Florida. She paid only $15,000 for it, and it is quite nice. Room enough for her and her husband. They love the place, and the lot rent is only $140 per month. It is a great location, a short drive to the ocean, and has many other retirees in the same park. They use it only in the winter, and the park takes care of it for them the remainder of the year. If you are just looking to rent, I am sure there are many choices.

There are abundant places for those who can drive, I wouldn't need to ask if they drove. The challenge is to find a place where one does not need a car.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are abundant places for those who can drive, I wouldn't need to ask if they drove. The challenge is to find a place where one does not need a car.

Thats kind of the challenge isn't it.

The locations that are the safest will be the ones with the least access to transit.

I'll go back to Fort Collins CO which might be the compromise candidate

And look at the infection/death map on nbcnews.com, it might guide your decision making process

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-deaths-u-s-map-shows-number-fatalities-compared-confirmed-n1166966

Edited by GinBoy2
35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is not just something I *think* it is based on a careful epidemiological analysis, which i have the training for.

Numerous experts share this conclusion.  As do the policy makers.

Given that the level of exposure in the city now seems only around 20-21% and that even if a vaccine is developed within the year it will take months to a year to roll out, it is hard to envision any scenario in which there is not a second wave. The only question is when but most expect it in the fall or winter as do I.

Obviously they are living there now, but the incidence now is declining and anyway not feasible to do anything about moving them until travel restrictions ease.

Well if you are that sure that is fine but the analysis is still quite debatable: They also have their age of 88+ and six more months before you want to help them with a move so planing far ahead is not prudent.  Probably  a smaller academic town or city Is best. Northampton MA is not a bad suggestion if they can handle Winter. You keep dwelling on them having no car but an UBER for say 1 mile or less is better than a bus ride isn’t it? They could get many things delivered as well. Then perhaps Providence RI and Hanover NH ( where Dartmouth is) are all suitable and snowy and full of both young and old Academics. Cambridge Ma might be too crowded and maybe you might think this second wave will got that area as well but it’s waaay less than NYC. Rents in Cambridge are very high and a 6 month rental there is very difficult. I don’t know much about Princeton NJ but I bet it’s ok too. Remember this “Uber is their friend “ a public bus is not. I would also love to know your opinion on what Sweden has been doing. Stockholm is pretty crowded, everything is open and no one is even complaining about a first or second wave. What do epidemiological analysts have to say about that?  Emotions are quite high now as well. Don’t let them get in the way of perhaps letting them stay put. 

Edited by alex8912

Sheryl, I have the answer for you.  It is The Villages, in Central Florida.  About 125,000 residents.  It IS a "retirement community" but not one like you have ever seen.  You probably won't believe me.  It is full of active seniors.  It is over 20 miles north to south and 10 miles east to west, ALL accessible by golf cart.  I live here.  Single family homes, one story, for the most part, organized into "villages".  Integrated into the plan are commercial areas with supermarkets, restaurants, hair and nail salons, doctor and dentist and other medical specialty offices, pharmacies, etc.  All accessible by golf cart.  My home here is literally a five or ten minute drive from all that.  There are also a plethora of big name big box stores within 20 minutes, like Home Depot, Target, Wal-Mart.  Accessible by golf cart.  

Then you get to the activities.  It will blow your mind!  These are active seniors.  12 full-size golf courses (10 with 27 holes each).  38 9-hole executive golf courses.  Each village has recreation centers with swimming pools, tennis and pickle ball, shuffleboard, bocce, and other similar courts.  The recreation centers have rooms for classes and organized activities ranging from yoga to quilting to Escaped New Yorkwr club meetings. There is so much to do that it is literally hard to pick.

There are three "town centers" with a central square that have nightly entertainment 365 nights a year (or, they DID before the COVID-19 crisis and surely will again.)  These are real professional bands who make a living on music - the Orlando and Daytona and Tampa area attracts such talent.  The squares are walkable city-like areas with restaurants shopping, bars, again all accessible by golf cart.

I moved here from Chiang Rai with my wife.  My wife wouldn't dream of playing golf.  Now she gets after me to hurry up and make a tee time.  She also loves bowling and visiting neighbors and taking walks.  She is so glad we moved here.

It really must be seen to be believed.  If you google it you will find things good and bad but don't believe the "sex-mad seniors partying" BS.  You get 125,000 people together in one place, you get all kinds and things happen, but for the 99.9% of us it is an idyllic spot.  They won't want to go back to NYC.

• Thanks 2
On 4/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, Sheryl said:

Any ideas about Hilo, Hawaii?

Hilo was nice but not sure of easy availability of shopping... but it is far away. Might just as well come here... 

And yes, I know the upper west side, liberal, educated, personality type [my parents] but at age 88 there are other factors too... travel more than a couple of hours by plane might be wearing. At that age, my parents liked to sleep and eat in the clubhouse at their community and watch tv... they did like to socialize but dinnertime was enough for them. 

I know this will not sound great but I know people who have moved to over 55 type communities and enjoy it... Coastal Alabama.. but likely there are good choices near anywhere... maybe even out of the over-populated areas of Fla... St. Augustine? Melbourne? Gulf Coast? 

Good luck and be thankful they have mobility and marbles... 

And if you have not seen them in a while, things might not be what they seem at a distance... my brother used to phone in and tell my parents they should just go to San Diego etc... and try to motivate them. He did not know that my mother could not get out of bed... she did not want him to worry. 

• Like 1

Sheryl

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooksville,_Florida

That entire area Brooksville, Crystal River, Homassas Springs Lecanto are small towns just North of Tampa.  So if they need medical care they are close to Tampa.  You would have to check to see if the towns have services like UBER or places close enough to shopping.  Weather is nice and of course filled with retirees. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Hilo was nice but not sure of easy availability of shopping... but it is far away. Might just as well come here... 

And yes, I know the upper west side, liberal, educated, personality type [my parents] but at age 88 there are other factors too... travel more than a couple of hours by plane might be wearing. At that age, my parents liked to sleep and eat in the clubhouse at their community and watch tv... they did like to socialize but dinnertime was enough for them. 

I know this will not sound great but I know people who have moved to over 55 type communities and enjoy it... Coastal Alabama.. but likely there are good choices near anywhere... maybe even out of the over-populated areas of Fla... St. Augustine? Melbourne? Gulf Coast? 

Good luck and be thankful they have mobility and marbles... 

And if you have not seen them in a while, things might not be what they seem at a distance... my brother used to phone in and tell my parents they should just go to San Diego etc... and try to motivate them. He did not know that my mother could not get out of bed... she did not want him to worry. 

They detest any sort of senior center and would never accept or like a senior community.  If they would then they:d be spoiled for choice...they refuse to even visit the senior community my mother lives in, can:t stand the very idea. Needs to be a normal mixed ages environment.

Also remember we:re looking only for a temporary place not a long term relocation. They have a great rent controlled apt in NYC and intend to live out their days their if at all possible.

Do not watch TV other than old movies on DVD and are quite active..hiking etc. My uncle is also a musician as well as a writer and plays the piano for hours each day (but this he will obviously have to forfeit for the months away). And yes I have seen them pretty recently.

The not driving bit has more to do with being NYers than with being old. They are in great shape and my aunt still has to show ID to get a senior discount as looking at her they don't believe she is over 65. 

Issue with coming to Thailand is visa and the heat. I would ideally bring them here for the cool season and then all 3 of us decamp to Hawaii for the Thai hot season, if I'm along then the driving issue goes away. BUT 1) no guarantee US citizens will be able to enter Thailand by Oct/Nov; 2) no guarantee if there is a second wave in the US that I'd be able to go to Hawaii next March/April with any assurrance of getting back into Thailand.  I wouldn't have been able to do so this year (still can't) and I suspect that next time around the Thais will be swifter about imposing restrictions on incoming international travel than they were this time, especially as regards US and Europe )I would, in their shoes). Basically what I am hoping for is that there will be a lull of at least a few months during which I could go back and help them get temporarily  relocated.

A lot of interesting places have been mentioned so far  but I am not clear which if any of them are really places where one does not need a car. I had also thought of San Diego but that for sure needs a car. Hilo at least is pretty small/compact. Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo maybe also? Anyone know? Note that by don:t need a car I don't just mean that Uber etc is available, I mean that food shopping, restaurants etc are all in walking distance. Just looking at size in sq mi so far San Luis Obispo looks posisble assuming they have a defined downtown ara  etc.

Think about Warwick New York. It's close enough to be there in less than 90 minutes from NYC. Has everything they need. Hospital, grocery,pharmacy , restaurants, shops, all age groups, etc. Nice, quiet area. I'm originally from north New Jersey,  Bergen County, lived there 30 years. Parents from Brooklyn, been to Warwick area many times fishing. Good friend lives on Greenwood lake.

I know a place.   I even lived there 20 years ago. Kerrville, TX.   Very nice town,  affordable ,  with a fairly

large  number of elderly retirees from different areas ( not just Texas) .    

I am sure can rent an affordable apt  near downtown  .   There are supermarkets and the river runs through center of town.    Good weather.    Good hospital.   Restaurants. 

Not exactly Palm Springs..... if that is more their style  ????

Edited by rumak
21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Note that by don:t need a car I don't just mean that Uber etc is available,

Some places have free transport for seniors... where I lived, they had $1 taxi rides... of course, the research gets more involved... 

have they made any suggestions? It sounds like they get out a bit - they must have friends... 

21 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Think about Warwick New York. It's close enough to be there in less than 90 minutes from NYC. Has everything they need. Hospital, grocery,pharmacy , restaurants, shops, all age groups, etc. Nice, quiet area. I'm originally from north New Jersey,  Bergen County, lived there 30 years. Parents from Brooklyn, been to Warwick area many times fishing. Good friend lives on Greenwood lake.

Thanks, someone else mentioned it as well. Seems to be pretty large in size (>100 sq mi), is there a compact downtown area?

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

I know a place.   I even lived there 20 years ago.   Very nice town,  affordable ,  with a fairly

large elderly retirees from different areas ( not just Texas) .    

I am sure can rent an affordable apt  near downtown  .   There are supermarkets and the river runs through center of town.    Good weather.    Good hospital.   Restaurants. 

Not exactly Palm Springs..... if that is more their style  ????

Name of it? (No, Palm Springs is not at all their style.. No place that is mainly retirees will be)

On 4/28/2020 at 2:18 AM, Sheryl said:

They want to go. I don:t know how much you know about the situation in NYC but it is truly dreadful and terrifying. They are surrounded by friends and neighbors ill with the virus in a place where the health system has collapsed. This is not an idea I am foisting in them. And not talking about a permanent move, just for the winter months next year.

They would absolutely hate a retirement community of any sort and never set foot in any sort of Senior Center.  I should have mentioned, they are dyed-in-the-wool liberal intellectuals, former writers who have always lived in upper West Side Manhatten so cultural fit has to be considered as well.

Any ideas about Hilo, Hawaii? Culturally I think they:d be fine there but I really don:t know much about the city (other than it is fairly small).

I:ll also have a look at Fort Collins.

Not considering buying anything, just rental and for not more than 6 months.

If the cold isn't a problem I would recommend Woodstock Vermont. Amtrack nearby in Windsor, Dartmouth College 20 minutes away, charming small town with many Boston and New York ex-professionals, and entirely walkable. And local Senior Center will help with transportation. 

I've lived there, and it's a gem of a place.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Name of it? (No, Palm Springs is not at all their style.. No place that is mainly retirees will be)

Sorry   LOL   i edited but i guess the name did not enter.   Kerrville     60 miles west of San Antonio

that area is referred to as  the  "hill country".   A little hot in the summer,  but the months you

mention very nice climate.    Much more affordable ...and friendly....  than the well known areas.

It was once touted as a great retirement area,  but not just old fogies with walkers   ????

Google for some info and pics   https://retirementwatchusa.com/best-places-to-retire-in-texas/10/

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1
On 4/28/2020 at 4:18 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I don't know about Hilo, but I do like Hawaii as a vacation spot in general.

However, I'm assuming your Aunt & Uncle are now on a fixed income, and just about everything in Hawaii is outrageously expensive compared to almost anywhere on the mainland.

I have a co-worker from Hawaii, who posted this picture after returning from a visit home, with the comment 'Why we don't move back'

Milk.jpg

Government shipping regulations causes that. Same thing in Puerto Rico.