Need suggested place in US to relocate family

On 4/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, Sheryl said:

They want to go. I don:t know how much you know about the situation in NYC but it is truly dreadful and terrifying. They are surrounded by friends and neighbors ill with the virus in a place where the health system has collapsed. This is not an idea I am foisting in them. And not talking about a permanent move, just for the winter months next year.

They would absolutely hate a retirement community of any sort and never set foot in any sort of Senior Center.  I should have mentioned, they are dyed-in-the-wool liberal intellectuals, former writers who have always lived in upper West Side Manhatten so cultural fit has to be considered as well.

Any ideas about Hilo, Hawaii? Culturally I think they:d be fine there but I really don:t know much about the city (other than it is fairly small).

I:ll also have a look at Fort Collins.

Not considering buying anything, just rental and for not more than 6 months.

Hi There... lived on Oauhu.. In my opinion Hilo would be nice but they don't have a extensive transportation system like Oahu... The bus system is good. However, the Isles are expensive... as supplies come by boat or plane.  Culturally, they are Howlies... but that is nothing like Farang.    Good luck with your search. Rent would be expensive, however, beach activities are the main draw... Climate, like Thailand but with more breeze, since they are Islands.  Locals are cool. 

All the best.

Edited by Rhys

I only read the first page and didn't see any posts about Arizona.  Excuse me if this has already been mentioned. There are a lot of retirement communities in Arizona.  You might want to consider some of those that are on the outskirts of Phoenix.  Tuscon is also a viable option and is a little cooler than the Phoenix area.   

7 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I only read the first page and didn't see any posts about Arizona.  Excuse me if this has already been mentioned. There are a lot of retirement communities in Arizona.  You might want to consider some of those that are on the outskirts of Phoenix.  Tuscon is also a viable option and is a little cooler than the Phoenix area.   

I did mention it.  Thought there was no interest.  

I live in a retirement golf community here that would probably suit and thought maybe it was too dear.  But folks are suggesting expensive places in California so maybe that isn't it.  The months mentioned are really nice here.  Right now we are in an early heat wave and I shall have to soldier on playing golf in 100 degrees.  LOL

1 minute ago, jimmybcool said:

I did mention it.  Thought there was no interest.  

I live in a retirement golf community here that would probably suit and thought maybe it was too dear.  But folks are suggesting expensive places in California so maybe that isn't it.  The months mentioned are really nice here.  Right now we are in an early heat wave and I shall have to soldier on playing golf in 100 degrees.  LOL

Believe the lack of interest was due to the retirement aspect as old age seems to be something they wish to avoid (and indeed was mentioned that they appear much younger than their years). 

A second factor is most old age type places are probably more likely to be conservative in aspact where they are not. 

So key factor appears access for non drivers (which normally means large city) but without being the melting pot tourist hub like NYC.  In the auto crazy USA this does not appear to be easy to find.

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe the lack of interest was due to the retirement aspect as old age seems to be something they wish to avoid (and indeed was mentioned that they appear much younger than their years). 

A second factor is most old age type places are probably more likely to be conservative in aspact where they are not. 

So key factor appears access for non drivers (which normally means large city) but without being the melting pot tourist hub like NYC.  In the auto crazy USA this does not appear to be easy to find.

I think we all try to avoid old age.  LOL.  Might be surprised by how active this community is but OK not my problem.  It likely would be an issue if they are hard core liberals and vocal about it.  Not that it rules life or we have none in the community my bet is Trump will defeat Biden 80% to 20% in this community.  If they can't stand to hear alternative opinion California is a better choice.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Parker..perfect

1 hour ago, Vajra Kilaya said:

Davis is a great idea... cool little town... 

Boulder area, great choice as well... some smaller surrounding town in the area with lovely public transportation... look at Longmont... 

Park City, Utah ? might be nice...

Don't know Auburn, but for writer/artists... Oxford Mississippi would be wonderful...

Ashville, North Carolina or several of the smaller little towns in the mountains there, like Franklin area...

I really like Park City, but if we're ruling out Red States, that nixes all of Utah.

With that in mind however, I would make this comment.

We live in a Redder than Red State, I'm a California so Bluer then Blue. But in my daily life, hard to tell the difference. 

Folks don't talk politics 24x7, they are just doing what we all do, getting on with life.

So I would never rule out any location based on it's color on an electoral map

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I really like Park City, but if we're ruling out Red States, that nixes all of Utah.

We live in a Redder than Red State, I'm a California so Bluer then Blue. But in my daily life, hard to tell the difference. 

Folks don't talk politics 24x7, they are just doing what we all do, getting on with life.

I agree. Politics should not be controlling the decision process. Both the Liberals and conservative can be very nice and/or dreadful people. Finding a place they can afford and like is the key. I doubt that a new environment without family support will work out well for a pair 88 years old.

If you lived next door and could look after them it might be different.

• Sad 1

This website is useful for this.

How about Decatur Georgia, just outside Atlanta?

https://www.walkscore.com/GA/Decatur

Tacoma Park Maryland, just outside D.C. Very lefty.

https://www.walkscore.com/MD/Takoma_Park

Long Beach California, 25 miles south of L.A.

https://www.walkscore.com/CA/Long_Beach

As far as red and blue states, there are usually "islands" of difference within them. 

Georgia is red. Atlanta is blue.

Edited by Jingthing
On 4/29/2020 at 12:35 AM, Sheryl said:

Thanks for all the suggestions...I will do some research and discuss with them.

Hilo does have bus service BTW. And some rentals right in town.  But cost of living is a concern.

Forget Hawaii and California if cost of life is a concern. Also you have to quarantine to go to Hawaii. Any town big enough to have Uber and Lyft would work. In addition to that many have buses that run around and regional transport. 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:24 AM, Sheryl said:

Unlikely to agree to a red state, yes, unless it is a blue enclave within one (which do exist)

They are currently mulling over a move to Woodstock (NY), have friends living there

They need to decide if living with in their politics or their means is more important. Needing to live in a liberal enclave is expensive. Anyway there are tens of thousands of places they could go. Uber makes buses unnecessary. Buses are a very bad idea if you think a second wave is going to hit I would avoid public transportation like the plague. Senior citizens also are coffin collectors.

I would suggest somewhere in Florida. If they are way too woke only California would suffice.

Anyway what came out of it? For all the questions we would like to hear what was decided.

Edited by Cryingdick
On 5/3/2020 at 4:59 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Shhhh we don't want everywhere full of people that aren't tolerant of political differences. They should stay in California and NYC.