Taiwan Bans Transit Passengers Until Further Notice

Banana7

On April 23, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that it will extend restrictions on direct cross-strait flights and the ban on airline traveler transits through Taiwan amid the continuing spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) across the globe. The former measure was originally scheduled to remain effective until April 29 while the transit ban was originally scheduled to be lifted on April 30. The CECC stated that when to lift the restrictions remains to be decided depending on the developments of the COVID-19 pandemic.

So that means if you have a EVA Air flight BKK TPE to SEA or YYZ or any other North American destination, you are going to waiting for about another month or more.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/iesKecLcTdK1gqZr3xgRpg?typeid=158

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 2

"So that means if you have a EVA Air flight BKK TPE to SEA or YYZ or any other North American destination, you are going to waiting for about another month or more. "

I assume this would also apply to China Air, another Taiwan based airline.... along with any other airline that transits through Taiwan.

Bkk TPE SEA was my route of choice. And so it goes

I think the date for resumption of transit through Taiwan will be on June 1st to coincide with Thai International's resumption of International flights.  The designation of "cross-straight " flights is what makes me think they are mostly concerned with flights originating in mainland China, based upon the wording below:

On 4/28/2020 at 1:29 AM, Banana7 said:

will extend restrictions on direct cross-strait flights

Yeah,  while the continued transit restrictions are a sort of a kick in the groin, the news isn't entirely unexpected.  If you are Taiwan every other country looks like a black seething pit of pestilence.

I greatly wish to stay out of the United States but that means getting dropped off in Europe.  That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.  Have to think about this.  Might give it a rest for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

I think the date for resumption of transit through Taiwan will be on June 1st to coincide with Thai International's resumption of International flights.  The designation of "cross-straight " flights is what makes me think they are mostly concerned with flights originating in mainland China, based upon the wording below:

who told you  bangkok open for international flights ? on 01 June today we are 29.april

On 4/29/2020 at 7:55 AM, Emdog said:

"So that means if you have a EVA Air flight BKK TPE to SEA or YYZ or any other North American destination, you are going to waiting for about another month or more. "

I assume this would also apply to China Air, another Taiwan based airline.... along with any other airline that transits through Taiwan.

Bkk TPE SEA was my route of choice. And so it goes

Yes, it applies to all airlines, not just EVA.

What a pity. Wondering... is a controlled airport transit such a high risk that they wanna completely ban it? On the money side... it should be really interesting because the airport gets some income on airport taxes, without getting the burden of having incoming passengers that intend to enter the country.  I would think it's an interesting deal. And low risk since the passengers are supposed to leave within "hours" without going out of the airport. 

• Like 1

Transit passengers have to change aircraft at Tapei, so they mill around the airport,  and being farangs they don't care about covid,  don't care about hygiene, don't wear masks... you name it.

Taiwan has now had 6 consecutive days without new cases and will possibly be the first country to eradicate the virus (14 consecutive days without new cases). Everybody wears a masks, alcohol for desinfection is available,  every afternoon TV announces the figure of the day.

If you say " today it's zero" you don't have to say what you are talking about - people know. 

People care.  They see what's happening in the West. They are scared of Westerners.

• Confused 1

I tried booking with EVA today for BKK TPE YYZ on June 5. Trip is available but only for Taiwan passport holders. No go unless you have a Taiwan passport. Earliest, possible preliminary booking date is July 1, 2020 for non-Taiwan passport holders. July 1 is only the earliest preliminary date, and is subject to change to a later date, based on CECC restrictions for international transit passengers without a Taiwan passport.

Edited by Banana7

On 5/1/2020 at 11:31 AM, uhuh said:

Transit passengers have to change aircraft at Tapei, so they mill around the airport,  and being farangs they don't care about covid,  don't care about hygiene, don't wear masks... you name it.

Taiwan has now had 6 consecutive days without new cases and will possibly be the first country to eradicate the virus (14 consecutive days without new cases). Everybody wears a masks, alcohol for desinfection is available,  every afternoon TV announces the figure of the day.

If you say " today it's zero" you don't have to say what you are talking about - people know. 

People care.  They see what's happening in the West. They are scared of Westerners.

They're scared of all the westerners flying from mainland China?

16 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

They're scared of all the westerners flying from mainland China?

Scared of the careless Westerners from infected western countries. 

BTW Chinese passport holders can under no circumstances enter Taiwan, for the time being. 

3 hours ago, uhuh said:

Scared of the careless Westerners from infected western countries. 

BTW Chinese passport holders can under no circumstances enter Taiwan, for the time being. 

I understand why they would think passengers from places like the USA and Europe would present a risk.  But why are they forbidding Chinese passport holders?  Do they think Xi's regime is lying about the number of infected cases? 

1 hour ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

I understand why they would think passengers from places like the USA and Europe would present a risk.  But why are they forbidding Chinese passport holders?  Do they think Xi's regime is lying about the number of infected cases? 

No, that's a leftover from the time they started entry restrictions.

First they forbid the Chinese,  everybody else still could come for a while. Restrictions then grew stricter and stricter.  Since March 19, only Taiwan passport holders and residents.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:30 AM, Banana7 said:

I tried booking with EVA today for BKK TPE YYZ on June 5. Trip is available but only for Taiwan passport holders. No go unless you have a Taiwan passport. Earliest, possible preliminary booking date is July 1, 2020 for non-Taiwan passport holders. July 1 is only the earliest preliminary date, and is subject to change to a later date, based on CECC restrictions for international transit passengers without a Taiwan passport.

Heyy Banana, Thanks for the info.  It is appreciated.   I'm looking to the same flight except to YYC.   I tried booking in June with China Airlines but just ended up with  error messages and the no transit message.

Edited by ourdon