Krabi’s starfish haven Ao Siao gets ready for post-virus tourist influx

webfact

Krabi’s starfish haven Ao Siao gets ready for post-virus tourist influx

By The Nation

800_23c1eaecb17583a.jpg?v=1587978316

Thousands of starfish can be seen when the tide ebbs in Krabi’s Ao Siao beach.

Though this beach is not that popular among tourists compared to the Nopparat Thara Beach on mainland Krabi, Khlong Muang Beach or the island of Phi Phi, Ao Siao is getting ready to attract tourists once the Covid-19 outbreak comes to an end.

star%202.jpg

star%203.jpg

The 2-kilometre-long beach is still abundant with natural resources, especially scores of starfish which can be seen when the tide ebbs. The beach is also known for its refreshing breezes and strangely shaped sand dunes.

star%204.jpg

star%205.jpg

Ao Siao is 5km from Ao Nang Beach within the Hat Nopparat Thara-Mu Koh Phi Phi National Park.

star%206.jpg

star%207.jpg

star%208.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/travel/30386853

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-28

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

It's that rosy outlook, once again.  Tourists will falling over each other in the scrum to see the starfish in mid-June.  Seriously.  

I think they will be falling over themselves for the chocolate variety first

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The 2-kilometre-long beach is still abundant with natural resources, especially scores of starfish which can be seen when the tide ebbs. The beach is also known for its refreshing breezes and strangely shaped sand dunes.

Which will last about a nano second once the Thais ship in thousands of tourists.

Sand dunes replaced with deck chairs, foreshore covered with jet skis, and the smell of BBQ chicken wafting on the sea breeze! 

Edited by hotchilli

21 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I can't see the strangely shaped sand dunes in any of those photos ??

Neither could I when I walked the dogs there this morning. Ao Nam Mao beach also has an influx of starfish as usually happens when we start the rainy season. Unfortunately they are not edible or there would be a local goldrush!

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Which will last about a nano second once the Thais ship in thousands of tourists.

Sand dunes replaced with deck chairs, foreshore covered with jet skis, and the smell of BBQ chicken wafting on the sea breeze! 

Luckily no deck chairs, jet skis, banana boats etc. are allowed within the National park which covers this whole region.

The Chinese tourists, who used to come here in droves, never used these beaches out of town; as the buses didn't take them there.

Ao Nang beach in the town however was a different story with an endless stream of longtails taking the tourists to Railay and the islands.

Some regions are aware of the damage tourism can do and are doing something about it - witness the closure of Maya Bay in this National Park.

This current crisis can only help our local environment to recover faster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaoloR said:

Neither could I when I walked the dogs there this morning. Ao Nam Mao beach also has an influx of starfish as usually happens when we start the rainy season. Unfortunately they are not edible or there would be a local goldrush!

What you think maybe is inedible isn't for the Chinese also I wouldn't pick one up as it might cost you a very hefty fine.

been there and got bitten 1.000's of times by sand flies had to see a doctor.... locals go there to eat and drink and leave their garbage all over, wild dogs were there as well.... nahhhh will pass

• 2 weeks later...