Considering buying a hotel in Thailand

In the moment lots of hotels are closed and I am sure lots of hotel managers are bored at home.

Why don't you hire one of those professionals to look at the details and explain to you what you can expect.

One thing is for sure: Long hours every day. 24/7 366 days a year.

• Like 1

Cant help with leasing but i have client who wishes to sell an actual  18 room beachfront hotel/resort located approx 150km  south of Hua hin

Hotel comes with all licences company paperwork and financials 

It s trading successfully and has fully trained manager and  staff 

Price is around 41 million THB

Pm me if you need anymore details

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Cant help with leasing but i have client who wishes to sell an actual  18 room beachfront hotel/resort located approx 150km  south of Hua hin

Is that bang Saphan area?

6 hours ago, jadee said:

Don't buy and try to run a hotel unless you are trained in hospitality or are willing hire staff who are. If you want to see what happens when people exhaust their savings to buy and run hotels without experience - watch any episode of 'Hotel Hell' on YouTube - people who have no clue what they're doing end up running places into the ground and wind up broke. If you watch one of those and still feel like taking the plunge, at least get trained in hotel management first. 
As for the 'claimed' figures, is that net revenue or net income? For a hotel at that price, my feeling is its net revenue, - to calculate your actual ROI (net income) you need to know the total revenue and then subtract operating expenses, depreciation, taxes and other expenses.

First you need to ask to see the last three years of accounts that have been certified by an Accountant.  There are many people in Thailand, who are a little less than honest and will inflate both the Net Profit and the occupancy of the Hotel, to make it look much more attractive.  Whilst it would be beneficial to do some sort of course in the hospitality business, more important would be to know how to calculate YOUR profit and be able to keep simple accounts.  Profit is the be all and end all to a continued business.  No profit........go broke! 

I had some experience in hospitality and built my own small Resort on Koh Samui some 15 years ago.  Despite the lock-down, we still have Guests and have many returning Guests (ranging from 6 month to several months stay at a time) as well as being on International Booking Platforms. 

I would suggest that you identify possible purchases and then obtain the accounts from the Owner.  Then carefully study them.  Also the old adage of location, location, location is very important.

If you would like more advice/info, please pm me and I would be delighted to advise you further.

17 minutes ago, NilSS said:

However, our property is fully liquid, and we have no debt. So, we will survive. . . . . and crucially, our competitors won't. They can't service their debts and they will just evaporate due to this crisis. Ultimately, this crisis will put our business in a very strong position, the weaker players culled.

Their hotels wont go away will they NilSS, they may go broke and as you say a savvey investor will prob take them over, maybe make a better fist of it, so your competition will still be around.

And I hope you do well with yours......

• Haha 1

Couldn't agree more with NilSS ( Post #20 ). It is turning into a buyers market. It is survival of the fittest now.

Most businesses that survive this "pandemic" will thrive afterwards, because quite a few won't be able to wait it out. They live / work day by day. In turn there may also be a good selection of talent / workers as well.

3 hours ago, poohy said:

spunds expensive for a quiet spot

2 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

Oh, and to answer your question,

90k ROI on 140k investment does sound wrong. I -assume- it is 90k Sales/Income....NOT profit.

ofc - they mean 90k turnover. So that figure means nothing.

Plus, it doesn't matter how well you're holed up financially right now with a hotel business, surely if the customers don't come back for 12 months+ almost everyone is going to be screwed?

Edited by SteveK