automatic gate opener

RxDan

Sliding or swing gate? 

We have swing gate openers from DEA and whilst they haven't been 100% reliable any failures have been due to external influences (lightning induced power surges).

In reality it depends what your local suppliers can deliver, do check availability of spares (control boards, sensors).

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have swing gate openers from DEA and whilst they haven't been 100% reliable any failures have been due to external influences (lightning induced power surges).

One would think with your electrical background that you would have installed some MOVs or Transorbs to protect that circuitry from any incoming unwanted surges...  ????

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

One would think with your electrical background that you would have installed some MOVs or Transorbs to protect that circuitry from any incoming unwanted surges...  ????

Indeed we did, and nothing in the house itself was damaged.

However I hadn't bargained for just how big an induced voltage would be available at the end of the 50m power run to the gates. Even with the manufacturer installed MOV on the controller a close ground strike took out the controller and the hall-effect encoders on the actuators.

Arrangement is now an earth rod local to the controller (TT so no connection to the house ground) and a 3-MOV protection arrangement in the box with the controller.

We shall see if that's actually enough.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Global House sells sliding gate openers.....cannot recommend or not.

Will follow this thread as have a new gate and I need one.

IMG_9923.thumb.JPG.a90b42d581263553eea3c82ee0d64fe9.JPG

I like your swing door inside your  gate, I should have done the same, as soon as I am allowed to comeback (stuck in the US) I will cut a section of mine and put one in.

I dont have a motor for mine either but I had the builder bring electric to the gate.so it should be easy to do,  I will also follow this tread and perhaps learn something. 

• Like 2

we had a BSM motor fitted a few years ago, about 15,000 baht, they made a good job. not a heavy sliding gate, but long, as posted above getting out in the rain was a pain,

had problems the last few days, being temperamental sometimes the button worked and sometimes not, all 3 remotes the same, put new batteries in yesterday seemed to do the trick, wife went to the shops this morning gate opened ok, after returning the gate would not respond to any remote, guy called is on his way, we are in Phala, ban chang area guy is from Bowin i believe.

would i recommend- yes

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A mate in Malaysia had an "automatic" gate opener. Upon approaching his house he pressed a button on a remote in the car, a minute later his maid came running out and opened the gate.

The "remote" was actually one end of a wireless doorbell the other end of which was in the maid's room.

Cheap and effective, until the maid has a day off. 

My current neighbor across the street does it even cheaper. She honks her horn furiously until her sister comes out and opens the gate.

Sad to say she treats her sister like a slave since it is 'her' house and her sister is just a lifelong guest.

I tend to keep all my windows closed as I run the AC continuously and even with the windows closed I can hear her yelling constantly at her poor sister. (I would guess both are near or in their 70s.)

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

I like your swing door inside your  gate, I should have done the same, as soon as I am allowed to comeback (stuck in the US) I will cut a section of mine and put one in.

I dont have a motor for mine either but I had the builder bring electric to the gate.so it should be easy to do,  I will also follow this tread and perhaps learn something. 

The monocoque concrete fish pond you gave details for worked out well as well except we need better overflow fitting as it ........ overflows!

Hows work in NY?

IMG_0094.JPG

Edited by cheeryble

Looks great , all you need are a couple of lotus plants. I Retired in February and was getting ready to come back in April and spend at least a year there. then the virus struck and postponed our plans, to see how the thing played out. I wish I  had not because now I am trapped in the US, and It don't look like I would be able to get there until June maybe later. , I have my brother in law  cutting the grass . starting the car, and taking care of the dogs, but I am not sure how the fish pond is doing. (picture before we left)

image.png.7a2f3cc0558940d865dab6578a9f3d80.png

On the bright side as soon as we heard virus we packet up and went to our Florida home , so at least we have low incident of virus in our area, the weather is nice, and we are able to walk on the beach or go kayaking at the intercontinental.  

Cant wait to come back to Thailand . 

Good to hear from you again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Looks great , all you need are a couple of lotus plants. I Retired in February and was getting ready to come back in April and spend at least a year there. then the virus struck and postponed our plans, to see how the thing played out. I wish I  had not because now I am trapped in the US, and It don't look like I would be able to get there until June maybe later. , I have my brother in law  cutting the grass . starting the car, and taking care of the dogs, but I am not sure how the fish pond is doing. (picture before we left)

image.png.7a2f3cc0558940d865dab6578a9f3d80.png

On the bright side as soon as we heard virus we packet up and went to our Florida home , so at least we have low incident of virus in our area, the weather is nice, and we are able to walk on the beach or go kayaking at the intercontinental.  

Cant wait to come back to Thailand . 

Good to hear from you again. 

Haha amazing how many brothers in law cut grass here!

yes we'll get some lily pads and stuff in gradually will send you a pic in a while

Stay well

We have a gate closer. The first photo shows the company contact information. In spite of the Bangkok phone number, they installed it for us in Chiang Mai. We have had it for a good number of years now and it has been reliable. As you can see in the second photo, the gate is large and heavy. It is also about 75m from the house, so having a remote system is very helpful indeed.

Gate closer.jpg

Gate.jpg

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, neilrob said:

We have a gate closer. The first photo shows the company contact information. In spite of the Bangkok phone number, they installed it for us in Chiang Mai. We have had it for a good number of years now and it has been reliable. As you can see in the second photo, the gate is large and heavy. It is also about 75m from the house, so having a remote system is very helpful indeed.

Gate closer.jpg

Gate.jpg

Nice gate and Perimeter wall gate design.

Does it have a manual disengage in case of power failure?  Also does it have a manual push button switch other than the remote control? If it does I wander if such switch can be replaces with a smart switch that would allow push button switch, and at the same time allow the switch to be  controlled via smart phone app. (such switches can be found at Lazada)  

On 4/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, Crossy said:

A mate in Malaysia had an "automatic" gate opener. Upon approaching his house he pressed a button on a remote in the car, a minute later his maid came running out and opened the gate.

The "remote" was actually one end of a wireless doorbell the other end of which was in the maid's room.

Cheap and effective, until the maid has a day off. 

ah! a local solution, called Amah-gard

Hi Sirineou,

In answer to your questions:

- Yes, it does have a manual override. You need to unlock this at the gate with a key. This frees the gate so you can open and close it by hand

- There is a push button inside the house near the door which will operate it, in addition to being able to operate it with a remote control

- Interesting idea to operate it with your phone. I had not thought of this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

Hi Sirineou,

In answer to your questions:

- Yes, it does have a manual override. You need to unlock this at the gate with a key. This frees the gate so you can open and close it by hand

- There is a push button inside the house near the door which will operate it, in addition to being able to operate it with a remote control

- Interesting idea to operate it with your phone. I had not thought of this

I have being toying with the idea . I am not in Thailand right now ,(stuck in the US) , I will try it as soon as I am allowed to get back to Thailand.

By the way the travel restrictions to Thailand are terrible. I am in contact with another longtime TVF member stuck in Canada, and the poor guy cant get back to his farm wife and kids. He is besides himself, at least I have my wife with me and my house here in the US. Terrible that the Thai government will not make allowances, for families of non Thai citizens  to be reunited, especialy in times such as this that we need eachother. .  

Anyway back to the subject at hand, I have replaced many of my switches in the US with smart switches with smart switches , (I use the Meross brand) they were easy to instal, and there is plenty of support on Youtube, but I did not see them for sale on Lazada. 

But for Thailand at lazada I saw the Sonoff smart switches that have plenty of tutorials in Youtube , so I would look into them,  If you decide with a different brand, look on YouTube first to see what kind of support there is for when you encounter the inevitable W T F problem. 

below is a video for a sonoff TXT2 it is 120v system but the wiring sequence should be the same for a 240v system

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Used a guy on the outer ring road near Homepro. After 5+ years it became unreliable so I bought a new one on Lazada and paid the guy 6000 baht to install it. PM me for details.