Anyone still using Kodi?

Kenny202

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Use it everyday on my PC as a front-end for my TV shows and movie server.

Glad it works for you i used it for a few years but the addons kept changing  and it got a pain to keep checking what was working /downloading

What addons were/are  you using to stream i could not find anything reliable after Exodus Redux packed up

Anyway doubt if i will go back to kodi,  Stemio is much simpler and lighter on laptop and also on phone

I just downloaded it now. Didn't bother installing skins etc. Just googled best add ons April 2020, got my add on. Took about 5 mins to install add on per google and good to go.  Got my latest season of Life below zero and seems to be working fine ???? Happy boy

21 minutes ago, poohy said:

Glad it works for you i used it for a few years but the addons kept changing  and it got a pain to keep checking what was working /downloading

What addons were/are  you using to stream i could not find anything reliable after Exodus Redux packed up

Anyway doubt if i will go back to kodi,  Stemio is much simpler and lighter on laptop and also on phone

Yeah, I don't stream, torrents onto my NAS, then play via Kodi.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

For you maybe, but for those of us who use Kodi as it was designed for without the unauthorized add-ons its a great bit of kit.

Fair comment but myself and many other were using the other addons  in my case with kodi just downloaded on a laptop to watch  mostly tv series or the odd movies

This seems  now to be a thing of the past  with kodi as it is now

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, poohy said:

Fair comment but myself and many other were using the other addons  in my case with kodi just downloaded on a laptop to watch  mostly tv series or the odd movies

Don't blame Kodi if the addons don't work. They do not make the addons they only allow addons to be installed on the Kodi program. It's the devs that make an addon and then try to keep it working. Kodi in itself is a really good media manager.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 11:15 AM, poohy said:

but myself and many other were using the other addons  in my case with kodi just downloaded on a laptop to watch  mostly tv series or the odd movies

I use Kodi like this on my laptop with no unauthorized add-ons. I simply organize the TV shows and movies what I want to see in folders on my HDD using the previously downloaded torrents upfront. Kodi catalogues and displays them for me like no other media player I know of, so very handy when watching stuff on laptop and I'm not exposed to needing a constant internet connection using the live streaming method.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longball53098 said:

Kodi in itself is a really good media manager.

Forgot Kodi as soon as I started using Plex. Of course my need was strictly for a media server.

And don't ask me where these media come from.

• Like 1

I like most gave it away over 6 months ago. I was using the skins and thats where I was having a lot of trouble, long time to install and as people say, what was working this week dead next week. I downloaded Kodi a few days ago and just added one recommended add on without frigging around with skins and has been working great. I'm using Tempest. Only takes a couple of minutes to install per instructions so when it starts getting ropey I'll just download another one.

I use it as a video player somtimes when the cinema.apk (with real debrid) native player has buffer issues or persistent subtitles I cant switch off.

I actually prefer kodi as a video player, however should the stream drop it doesnt resume at same place so, only use it as last resort.

I gave up on addons ages ago.

I use it for all my TV programs. As I am tapping this out BBC1 is plugging away in the background in UHD on the TV. All the latest films, TV programs from around the world are available. Not forgetting free PPV. And live sport (When there is some)

Do I have to update it well on the odd occasion. I did it yesterday took around 10 min: Should be fine for the next several months.    

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I use it for all my TV programs. As I am tapping this out BBC1 is plugging away in the background in UHD on the TV.

I wonder why I don't believe you.

Because you have a UHD television doesn't mean you stream is UHD, and I very much doubt that a BBC UHD stream is available in any Kodi addon, or should be able to stream properly in Thailand because of the high bandwidth needed

Just looked it up, and BBC has actually very few programs in UHD, mostly live sports which there isn't now, and a few trials of BBC Earth, so glad you get better than what they actually provide

Edited by Susco

I use it everyday here in Thailand going on 3 months now, as well as when I’m back in my home country. I have an IPTV subscription that works here on Kodi and I watch tv/movies via either exodus or Seren. I have 2 amazon fire sticks and I just bought a 4K fire stick through lazada.

Edited by Aland

17 minutes ago, Susco said:

I wonder why I don't believe you.

Because you have a UHD television doesn't mean you stream is UHD, and I very much doubt that a BBC UHD stream is available in any Kodi addon, or should be able to stream properly in Thailand because of the high bandwidth needed

Have just looked and I'm using Limitless TVTAP and I can assure you the picture is in UHD. Well saying that some are not as it's the news and lots of things on it are coming from Comp: set ups, but anything from the main screen is in UHD. My set up is via a cable directly into the Internet box that's running at 5g 280+M/B Down load. Well it was when I checked it this morning. I Cant get 5g without the cable.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Have just looked and I'm using Limitless TVTAP and I can assure you the picture is in UHD. Well saying that some are not as it's the news and lots of things on it are coming from Comp: set ups, but anything from the main screen is in UHD. My set up is via a cable directly into the Internet box that's running at 5g 280+M/B Down load. Well it was when I checked it this morning. I Cant get 5g without the cable.

Limitless TVTap is a fork of the Free TvTap apk, and I'm sure there is not a single stream in any free app that is UHD, hardly a Full HD one. Free apps simply don't have that bandwidth available, because they get funded from advertisements in the app, and want to serve as many people as possible.

image.png.c05529d1c82fac263e55cb77af81c774.png

The developers of TvTap are also not happy with those Kodi forks, because they are freeloaders since the TvTap developer get the cost of the servers but no income from ads, and that is also why those addons go down all the time.

And these days every kodi live tv addon is actually a freeloading fork of an app, because the real developers left the scene long time ago.

As for your 5G speed of 280 Mbps. That is to a Thailand based server and on a multi thread connection, because you can't get anything even near that speed on a single thread connection to an overseas server, and you don't think that limitless or TvTap servers are in Thailand, do you?

I mention specifically single thread, because with a video stream that's all you get. With torrents or download managers you get multiple threads, but that is not possible with a video stream

By the way 5G is a wireless mobile network and not yet available in Thailand.

5Ghz is a WIFI frequency, and you will understand that WIFI doesn't run over a cable

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Susco said:

Limitless TVTap is a fork of the Free TvTap apk, and I'm sure there is not a single stream in any free app that is UHD, hardly a Full HD one. Free apps simply don't have that bandwidth available, because they get funded from advertisements in the app, and want to serve as many people as possible.

image.png.c05529d1c82fac263e55cb77af81c774.png

The developers of TvTap are also not happy with those Kodi forks, because they are freeloaders since the TvTap developer get the cost of the servers but no income from ads, and that is also why those addons go down all the time.

And these days every kodi live tv addon is actually a freeloading fork of an app, because the real developers left the scene long time ago.

As for your 5G speed of 280 Mbps. That is to a Thailand based server and on a multi thread connection, because you can't get anything even near that speed on a single thread connection to an overseas server, and you don't think that limitless or TvTap servers are in Thailand, do you?

I mention specifically single thread, because with a video stream that's all you get. With torrents or download managers you get multiple threads, but that is not possible with a video stream

By the way 5G is a wireless mobile network and not yet available in Thailand.

5Ghz is a WIFI frequency, and you will understand that WIFI doesn't run over a cable

I have no doubt that you know more about it than I do. But BBC news was spot on clarity wise yesterday. Some programs only come out in H/D but they are good enough for me. Things like live sport PPV & some films.

I don't get any of my addon programs going down cant remember the last time I got any buffing either. I only change/reset when a new set up appears.

Regards 5g in settings on the Kodi box it give you several options of what set up you want. And my one says it's using 5g. Well what it actually says is Admin 5g. Cant see that telling lies.  

27 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Regards 5g in settings on the Kodi box it give you several options of what set up you want. And my one says it's using 5g. Well what it actually says is Admin 5g. Cant see that telling lies.  

It certainly doesn't say 5G, in you Kod box Android box, because 5G is a mobile network standard that is not available in Thailand yet.

It would also require a SIM card inserted in your Android box, because that is how mobile networks connect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

It may say 5 Ghz, which is a WIFI standard, but as you say it only works when connected by cable to your internet box internet router, a wireless signal obviously doesn't run over a wire

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/

Edit to add : Some internet providers may mistakenly quote their 5 Ghz WIFI as 5G in the router settings.

My 3BB router for example shows 2.4G and 5G, where it should be Ghz actually.

So you may be connected to the 5 Ghz WIFI, but again, a wireless (WIFI) signal doesn't run over a wire for obvious reasons

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Susco said:

It certainly doesn't say 5G, in you Kod box Android box, because 5G is a mobile network standard that is not available in Thailand yet.

It would also require a SIM card inserted in your Android box, because that is how mobile networks connect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

It may say 5 Ghz, which is a WIFI standard, but as you say it only works when connected by cable to your internet box internet router, a wireless signal obviously doesn't run over a wire

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/

I think you are spot on. Whatever it still works fine for what I want. Not been on the TV today so cant tell what type of signal I'm getting'. But if it's like normal I'll be very happy. Just turned it on and as usual it's fine.

IMGP0004 (5).JPG

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 5:17 PM, BritManToo said:

Yeah, I don't stream, torrents onto my NAS, then play via Kodi.

Why use kodi.. plex.tv is great for this. I download all my stuff on my NAS and then can watch it on my TV with plex.tv or even give out logins to my plex.tv account to other people.

• Like 1

This thread has got way too technical for me.

i have a kodi box and added exodus redux. That all i use and all i know how to use.

if anything is better as an add on than exodus redux let me know. But it needs to be simple for me. ????