Non o multi clarification

Non O Multi, permission to stay expired 14th April, visa valid until June 25th. Questions; Am I covered under the Amnesty without overstay until July 31st and, if I can border bounce prior to June 25th will I be stamped into Thailand for a further 3 months, or, can I do a 60 day extension prior to June 25th?

Edited by johnny1966

Your permission to stay is automatically extended until July 31st. In the highly unlikely event that Thailand and a neighbouring country removed all controls on foreigners entering their respective countries before June 25th, you would be able to do a border bounce for a fresh 90-day entry.

On the 60-day extension, it is unclear. Logic dictates that you cannot take advantage of both an automatic extension until July 31st, and a subsequent standard extension starting from July 31st. If you want a standard rather than automatic extension, that would run from April 14, the end of your original permission to stay. That said, maybe Immigration would decide to have your extension run from the date of application, rather than the end of your existing permission to stay as is normal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Logic dictates that you cannot take advantage of both an automatic extension until July 31st, and a subsequent standard extension starting from July 31st.

I think they will allow extensions of the "automatic extension" if they qualify for one.instead of people having to leave the country.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they will allow extensions of the "automatic extension" if they qualify for one.instead of people having to leave the country.

Unfortunately I got my 60 day extension before the amnesty andxmy visa expired in January. So I will have no option but to leave before 31 July, where to and what for is the question. Go back to my other home in France or try a local border bounce to get a new visa. Who knows what will be possible?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I also think that this is what they will do or consulates around Thailand will be overwhelmed for months...

I think the conditions for tourist visas (if they are issued at all) will for a long time be such that few will qualify. That will keep crowds down at consulates.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think the conditions for tourist visas (if they are issued at all) will for a long time be such that few will qualify. That will keep crowds down at consulates.

Agree on the TR applicants, but there are  a lot of Non-O people backed-up, at this point.  How crowded, and the ability to avoid them, depends on the  proxmimity of border-opening dates and the automatic-extension "amnesty" end-date. 

With a 3+ week window, go a week after the borders first open, and it might not be so bad (miss the early-birds and the procrastinators).  If a shorter time-frame, it could be bad.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Agree on the TR applicants, but there are  a lot of Non-O people backed-up, at this point.  How crowded, and the ability to avoid them, depends on the  proxmimity of border-opening dates and the automatic-extension "amnesty" end-date. 

With a 3+ week window, go a week after the borders first open, and it might not be so bad (miss the early-birds and the procrastinators).  If a shorter time-frame, it could be bad.

Non O (marriage and parent) is potentially tough. The Thai authorities might decide to make conditions tough for visas, but ease slightly the requirements for extensions. The objective would be to facilitate families staying together without the need to travel. That would still create a difficult situation for some families who have limited financial means. That would be additional to others who ought (in my view) to qualify for family visas that do not currently qualify for extensions or visas. Examples are those in same sex relationships and those supporting children that are not their own.

The fact is that life is not always fair. The current crisis is undoubtedly going to end up hurting some other than merely financially.

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Non O (marriage and parent) is potentially tough. The Thai authorities might decide to make conditions tough for visas, but ease slightly the requirements for extensions. The objective would be to facilitate families staying together without the need to travel. That would still create a difficult situation for some families who have limited financial means. That would be additional to others who ought (in my view) to qualify for family visas that do not currently qualify for extensions or visas. Examples are those in same sex relationships and those supporting children that are not their own.

The fact is that life is not always fair. The current crisis is undoubtedly going to end up hurting some other than merely financially.

In saying this, do you think that the days of the multiple entry non o visa may be numbered?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

In saying this, do you think that the days of the multiple entry non o visa may be numbered?

not just Western foreigners, but neighboring foreigners that have family would be screwed also.   I highly doubt that.   Not impossible, but highly doubt it.

11 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Some other multiple entry Non Immigrant visas are no longer issued, and multiple Non O visas are now issued by fewer consulates than in the past. It is known that some in Immigration feel people should be applying for long term extensions instead. These trends started long before the current crisis. Those in power who want to see the multiple Non O visas end might see this as an opportunity to overcome resistance. Time will tell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

not just Western foreigners, but neighboring foreigners that have family would be screwed also.   I highly doubt that.   Not impossible, but highly doubt it.

They could insist you must apply "in your passport-country, or residence-country only" - as with the METV.  Then start putting "extra stamps" on single-entries, like "This person travels too frequently to Thailand to support his Thai family," after which, you have to get a new passport to apply again.

This would destroy many Western-supported Thai families.  The anti-Western/mixed-marriage clique within immigration officials would be overjoyed at the prospect.  They think "those" Thais don't deserve a better life, anyway.  The Westerners that stay would have to use agents (as with their last several policy-changes), so a "win-win," from their perspective.

Edited by JackThompson