Thailand could allow alcohol sales for two days before new ban is enforced

webfact

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

They literally never fail to do the opposite of the correct thing. 

How is an alcohol ban not a correct thing ?

I am sure they saved thousands of life with this one,

at least from road accident and fights.

The best idea could be to make it a permanent ban. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Jane baker said:

No alcohol & no swimming in your hotel pool when your the only couple in it ? Please I don’t understand this can’t even sit by pool on benches & we are the only 2 people in our hotel ?

Agreed, in the four condos I lived in, there were never more than 2-3 couples in the (large) pool at a time.

11 hours ago, 2long said:

From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month.

Upon arriving here at the in-laws' to hole up for the lockdown, I bought a case of Leos and bottle of whiskey to share with the bros-in-law. They lasted like 3 days. Needless to say, I didn't replenish the supply. The next bottle of whiskey stayed in my room.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2long said:

There IS some sense in it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

In this sense, the 2-day window and a new ban makes sense, allowing expats and more wealthy to stock up and ration.

Haha...are you perchance an accidental time traveler, having just warped crossed the Mekong from 1890's French colonial Laos? 

23 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

If the ban ‘ends on 30th April’ does that mean it’s on sale as normal tomorrow at 11am? 

Nup. If they dont extend ban then you could buy booze May 1.

That won't happen because they (government) are exerting a regime. Very clever. Works on Thai and the farang guests are caught in crossfire.

As many have pointed out Thailand is perhaps only country with this restriction.

(excluding religious bans of alcohol).

My own country OZ has some of most strick rules in place. However no booze ban. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What new ban? Seems to me disseminating rumors is the plat du jour nowadays, no-one can wait for the official regulation.

proud and expect world sheep and a new head sheep to please all the local sheep so be prepared to line up and stock up if the window of oxygen from the grassy sheep lands opens for 1-2 days omg what a mouth full  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, taxin said:

Yes, 19 pages commenting on something that “could” happen, a rumour, has to be a TV record.

Im upto page 15 looking for some real information, I’m about to give up and just wait until tomorrow.

Hardly a TV record. 

The fact you have "no real information" is because the government is incompetent.

The decision should of been made days ago and already announced.

I will cut some slack in that governors of different proviences implemented it at various stages. Wasn't Phuket the first?

Anyway it may need big ring around to decide extend or not.

Imbeciles.

2 hours ago, kentrot said:

Perfect !

Anyone left with a job and paycheck - which comes just in time at the end of the month, for this lifting of the ban - will be tempted to spend more on stockpiling  booze than on food for the family.

And any hoarders will no doubt be marking up 'under-the-counter' sales to make a profit.

Once again the old saying, a country of 12 year olds, .... run by a bunch of 14 year olds !

Would I be correct in assuming that you choose to live here?

25 minutes ago, JeffGroves said:

proud and expect world sheep and a new head sheep to please all the local sheep so be prepared to line up and stock up if the window of oxygen from the grassy sheep lands opens for 1-2 days omg what a mouth full  

Jeff Groves is obviously not just a sheep like the rest of us. We must therefore hold him in awe and wonder. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Does anybody know if the breweries are closed? Or running at a lower capacity?

Good question ,we rear a few cattle and feed spent barley grains from the brewing industry ,and I have not been able to buy any for two weeks now ,one guy had a load in 15 ton but it was gone in 24 hours ,I would say some are closed ,one at Kampansan is running at a lower capacity .

One thing, I used to make beer in the UK ,it took about a month from making to drinking ,if some brewers are closed ,how long from opening to bottling ,is they a waiting time ,or do brewers have enough stock to keep them going until a new batch is made. 

• Like 1

FWIW, my experience in Rayong area is this. I tried 4-5 of my regular (they know me) mom and pop shops to no avail. Finally my GF's uncle took us to a restaurant that sold me 3 cases of beer at restaurant prices, 50% markup? That was all I could find. I think every province may be different. (Also, I think after the mom and pop's sold out their stock, could not re-order. Some showed me their bare refrigs.)

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, 2long said:

The Mom & Pop shops are running out, or have already run out.

This two-day window enables them to stock up, and sell beer throughout May, thus everyone saving face... 

Mama n papa , shops deserve my loyalty ..

Aint had a dry day , during the virus panic regime 

Makro , no thx ..

1 hour ago, JeffGroves said:

It would appear you have a plentiful supply of alcohol yourself.......

• Haha 1