Thailand could allow alcohol sales for two days before new ban is enforced

webfact

29 minutes ago, 2long said:

The Mom & Pop shops are running out, or have already run out.

This two-day window enables them to stock up, and sell beer throughout May, thus everyone saving face... 

Winner winner, chicken dinner.  

This isn't for peoples to restock in massive amounts.  It's for the small shops to restock to supply the determined drinking masses.

YOu can get whatever you want still, but makes it less easy, keeping the big gatherings down.  Plus reasons to collect baht fines

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Pretty sure it is true that without alcohol there will be less domestic violence and violence elsewhere too. Then why not ban alcohol forever if that's the goal?

This seems to be an exercise (and an experiment) in control by the Government, looking to see if they can get away with it and what the outcomes will be.

Maybe but some of the biggest <deleted> heads I know are high ranking Thai's, military and police. Play golf with a few of them and they drink more than me!! No doubt Prayuth and his band of merry men also get on it so, a permanent prohibition is not something I would put money on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johng said:

This whole WuFlu Covid19  seems to be  an exercise in how much control  authorities can impose before the people say enough is enough !

Exactly.

Greater control of citizens and fewer freedoms seem sure to follow, all around the world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

You think the Thai government is capable of such an elaborate consideration?

Probably not but with a lack of any other plausable explanation from the government, any thing is possible!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

There IS some sense in it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

In this sense, the 2-day window and a new ban makes sense, allowing expats and more wealthy to stock up and ration.

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. I see every day farm workers finish around 5 PM, as well as construction workers returning to their homes. The men are paid daily 300 or 400 Baht. One of them buys a bottle, they share it, and so on till they are  all wrecked. Usually the wifes come look for them or they stagger/drive home around 8 PM. The next day, same as yesterday. They are not in a position to buy lots in advance, especially now that even most of the farmwork and just about all of the construction work has dried up. haven't seen a group session in weeks.

Only 1 (of about 6) small shops continued to sell but soon ran out and with no deliveries or wholesale. Credit to the Poo Yai he gave everyone a 2 hour grace period to 'stock up' before the ban was imposed, but with no more funds than usual, the 'rush' was soon over.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 2long said:

There IS some sense in it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Did you ever see that doc or website ?? forget the name, tracing cluster infections in Thailand? Actually it was 'sobering'. Among places a couple came out ... repeatedly.

Boxing matches

Cockfights

Bars - inside bars, cafes, & a couple other drinking venues

Pretty obvious when Thais, (and others) drink, it is a social atmosphere, & drunk raucous behavior is just the place to transfer infections and can lead to clusters. The alcohol ban makes sense. BTW drinking per say it NOT the problem, it is how you drink. Right now Thais of course are still drinking and drinking with friends but more subdued atmosphere and smaller groups.

Shutting down big venues for alcohol consumption works.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

They are really really really good in 'creating' masses of Q's and groupings getting closely together.

To defeats the complet purpose of the alcohol ban in itself?

Who knows, after so many years, very difficult to get into Thai logic ... in these times especially. 

In normal times ok, but now, can't get my head around the logic, at all!

• Like 1

Here is my concern with a two day allowance.  Logistics!  Will the manufactures be able to meet the demand?  How soon could the Thai Beverage logistics start rolling, i would say you would need 2 days just to bring the booze to the markets per say.   Even Makro may only keep a pallet of blend or sam song in stock, all the local shops are empty.  I am sure many of the local warehouses are empty as well.  They would have to release the logistics 2 days prior or it will be a mad house, and stock will be gone within an hour.  Then you will have people sitting at the shops waiting on deliveries, that is a social distancing nightmare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Here is my concern with a two day allowance.  Logistics!  Will the manufactures be able to meet the demand?  How soon could the Thai Beverage logistics start rolling, i would say you would need 2 days just to bring the booze to the markets per say.   Even Makro may only keep a pallet of blend or sam song in stock, all the local shops are empty.  I am sure many of the local warehouses are empty as well.  They would have to release the logistics 2 days prior or it will be a mad house, and stock will be gone within an hour.  Then you will have people sitting at the shops waiting on deliveries, that is a social distancing nightmare.

Well they better get cracking then with only around 48 hours to go!!????

13 minutes ago, RedPill said:

They are really really really good in 'creating' masses of Q's and groupings getting closely together.

To defeats the complet purpose of the alcohol ban in itself?

Who knows, after so many years, very difficult to get into Thai logic ... in these times especially. 

In normal times ok, but now, can't get my head around the logic, at all!

First paragraph, just look at BkkPost today, photo of Chuan Lek Pi surrounded closely by many politicians.  

• Haha 1