Thailand could allow alcohol sales for two days before new ban is enforced

webfact

2 hours ago, vogie said:

What we have to do is to turn a negative situation into positive one and if Mohamid cannot go to the mountain the mountain must come to Mohamid. I have just ordered 16lbs of malt extract, what I do with it when I get it is anyones guess, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Home brewing is illegal in Thaailand.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, johng said:

This whole WuFlu Covid19  seems to be  an exercise in how much control  authorities can impose before the people say enough is enough !

Sadly, I think you could well be right.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

There is NO ban on consumption. Simply a ban on purchasing. 

This is the same for "normal" days when no alcohol can be purchased. Mother's Day etc..

Monks are not suppose to drink Alcohol at all...They can not drink alcohol according to Theravada Buddhism. Not only monks, even Buddhists can't drink alcohol. Drinking alcohol is violation one of the five precepts. 5.I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.

So in Thailand since the people also drink then therefore they must also not be Buddhist's

Maybe these were Catholic Monks instead....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

If you are thinking of homebrewing I would reconsider as you could end up with the maximum fine of 200 baht.

The maximum penalty for home brewing under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. But a new law passed under the National Legislative Assembly last month raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.

And that law is in place since early 2017

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

The maximum penalty for home brewing under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. But a new law passed under the National Legislative Assembly last month raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.

Have you got a link for that please?

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Have you got a link for that please?

It's in the news paper that can't be quoted

Search for home brewing law Thailand and it is the first result

Or you can just copy and paste the text in Google

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Thailand

Craft beer

Two types of licenses are available in Thailand for would-be beer producers. Thailand's 1950 Liquor Act states that beer can only be made in a factory making more than 1,000,000 litres per year or in a brewpub producing at least 100,000 litres per year for sale on-site with no bottling permitted. Brewpub beers cannot be sold off-premises.[7] The finance ministry in 2000 ruled that, for either type of producer to be legal, they must be a limited company with capital of at least 10 million baht.[5][8] The maximum penalty for "home brewing" under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.[9] To sell craft beers off-premises, one small brewer explained, "We have two choices: Either hire an overseas factory to make it or build a factory abroad on our own,..." and import it.[5]

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 1

Wonder what the trouble is, why they just can't announce it already. They've announced everything else. Must be a point of contention. Dont tell me the Governors are arguing. Plenty of posters here alluding to new supplies on the way, I saw boxes of Chang and Leo walking past a box store this morning. Most Thais where I am seem to think its pretty much over, or should I say they dont think the local cops are at all interested in busting anyone.

9 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Most Thais where I am seem to think its pretty much over

Hilarious, how would you even have a clue as to what most Thais are thinking. Are you down the community centre nattering away with them in your fluent Thai.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Chaos on Fri and Sat if that comes into effect.

Social distancing shoulder to shoulder.

Exactly. They want to avoid large crowds and lack of social distancing. This will create a stampede at stores selling. I'm just astounded at the lack of foresight. Clowns

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Why do you say this, nobody mentioned homebrew, only you. It has been established that making Horlicks is not illegal and indeed a very nice drink to take to bed and dream of better things to come.

If you are thinking of homebrewing I would reconsider as you could end up with the maximum fine of 200 baht.

Ginger, sugar, limes and yeast.

• Haha 1

Not so surprising - this gives a chance for wealthy drinkers to stock up, while masses of poor alcoholics won't have the money to buy very much stash. We can expect gold sales to spike again so people can turn their gold savings into booze. Lovely

• Like 1