BANGKOK
Pravda

Bangkok Air Pollution 2020

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There have been a lot of studies on the subject of source... and the mix of sources tends to vary between the wet season (more vehicle based) vs. dry season (more burning based), along with weather and other factors...

But the way I look at it overall is this: the vehicles are a baseline. With few exceptions, the traffic is ALWAYS bad in BKK and there tend to be pretty much the same levels of vehicles on the roads. And yet this time of year, the smog is absolutely the worst, which more than just happens to coincide with the agricultural burning season.  When the morons out there are not burning their fields (whether it be Thailand or adjoining areas), the smog in BKK never gets to the levels like it is right now.

I agree with your assessment except that, if we're talking about greater Bangkok I think you might be underestimating the effects of seasonal weather patterns i.e. wind strength and direction and overnight temperature.

A week ago the PM2.5 was much lower that it is now and there is no other obvious reason for that.

3 hours ago, thedemon said:

I agree with your assessment except that, if we're talking about greater Bangkok I think you might be underestimating the effects of seasonal weather patterns i.e. wind strength and direction and overnight temperature.

A week ago the PM2.5 was much lower that it is now and there is no other obvious reason for that.

Agreed.  Earlier in this string we discussed the fact that ordinarily the air quality is worse at night than in the afternoon (not only in BKK but most major cities), probably owing to heating and inversion effects.  But I notice recently that pattern seems to have broken.  We've been getting almost uniformly bad air 24/7.   Clearly there are many factors that influence this and again my take is that rather than try to analyze it we should (those of us who can) just get out.  Stay for the rainy season if you don't mind the rain, at least the air is OK.  But winter is dangerous.  The depressing fact for those of us who like Asia is that this situation applies to almost all big cities.  I was looking at Busan, Korea which is a beautiful seaside city and its historical AQ is worse than BKK.  I'm now looking at spending winters in Europe or North America and maybe heading back here for summer, which from a climate perspective is a bit perverse but works for AQ.

• Like 1

What do you think the chances are of the govt funding electronic air pollution monitoring systems?

They have some screens for traffic that I've seen, but nothing significant to monitor urban air pollution.

2 minutes ago, codebunny said:

What do you think the chances are of the govt funding electronic air pollution monitoring systems?

They have some screens for traffic that I've seen, but nothing significant to monitor urban air pollution.

Zero if you mean anything much more than what they already have.  There are some govt monitoring stations.  But every indication is that the govt prefers to minimize information on the bad air, not publicize it.  If more people get upset, they might actually have to do something about it.  So no.

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

On 1/7/2020 at 1:56 PM, hrrecruiter said:

Like you, I love this city but I had enough. Packing as I type this and planning to leave Q2 2020 after many years. 

Wish you the best!  By the way, was air quality the ONLY reason?  Or are there other issues?  

Today back to the OP.

Pravda said:  ' When is it going to be enough for you guys? '

For me the handling of the air pollution problem in Thailand since years

is far beyond any intelligent behavior.

If there were no familary reasons to stay, I would leave tomorrow.

So, if you would like to have some info about the dust situation

up North, starting Jan 15, 2020, here is a/my link:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1143398-phrae-pm25-numbers-2020/page/4/#comments

Excuse me, some of you posters on the BKK-forum.

It's not the time to discuss the existing problem, it is time to act,

not to babble.

Absolutely gorgeous today, can see all the way to the airport from PraKhanong. Can’t see any pollution haze at all 

what happened?

1 hour ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Absolutely gorgeous today, can see all the way to the airport from PraKhanong. Can’t see any pollution haze at all 

what happened?

The seasons are changing, and the wind is coming right out of the south ... over the water ... not the north ... over the burning fields.  Here is an app I think you will enjoy to let you see wind, precipitation .. etc.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=13.34;100.78;6&l=rain-3h

On 2/14/2020 at 7:20 PM, bangkokequity said:

The seasons are changing, and the wind is coming right out of the south ... over the water ... not the north ... over the burning fields.  Here is an app I think you will enjoy to let you see wind, precipitation .. etc.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=13.34;100.78;6&l=rain-3h

That's a very nice app , I wonder how future predictions can be accurate ?

I can see that the next date at which wind should blow from the gulf onto the capital is next monday , too bad , I really enjoyed the weekend .

Hopefullly we're nearing the end of the burning season 

Side question : does anyone have experience with centrally distributed aircon systems (i.e. VRV) and how easy it is to insert PM2.5 / HEPA filter pads in the main air pipe ?

We're building a house in the city and this looks like a more expensive setting vs individual aircon units in all rooms, but if it allows me to worry less about purifying the air in every room , I'm down with this option..

12 minutes ago, seb2015 said:

I can see that the next date at which wind should blow from the gulf onto the capital is next monday , too bad , I really enjoyed the weekend .

Side question : does anyone have experience with centrally distributed aircon systems (i.e. VRV) and how easy it is to insert PM2.5 / HEPA filter pads in the main air pipe ?

We're building a house in the city and this looks like a more expensive setting vs individual aircon units in all rooms, but if it allows me to worry less about purifying the air in every room , I'm down with this option..

Windy is another nice app for wind: https://www.windy.com/?13.709,100.455,5

We are however still not good with weather predictions, it simply takes too much computing power. Long term predictions are near impossible. 

55 minutes ago, seb2015 said:

I don't have the experience with a centrally-distributed A/C system, but I have installed a 5-bladed 30W fan driving into an Hatari HEPA filter for one of their air purifiers and can say without doubt that a common, consumer HEPA filter gives a high resistance to airflow. The HEPA filter material is extremely dense and seems to be impregnated with some kind of chemical. If anyone can comment on the availability of an HEPA consumer air purifier that also provides high-volume air flow, I'm all ears.

I have also modified an evaporative cooler to pull air through an older and slightly smaller Hatari HEPA filter and it also provides a high resistance to high-volume air flow. In both cases I have removed the carbon granule layer from the filters in an attempt to reduce air restriction through the HEPA filters because I've added a single layer of 3M Filtrete filter material as a pre-filter on the input sides of the HEPA filters. Yes, the Filtrete layer increases resistance, but even without it the flow impedance offered by the HEPA filters is very high.

So, I believe high-volume air flow is not doable through the standard, common HEPA filters that are found in most consumer air purifiers. High-volume air flow filters that would give an HEPA level of particle removal may be available, but it is probably based on a different technology than the HEPA filters found in common consumer air purifiers. Perhaps electro-static or rapid flow-change or oil-bath based approaches? 

Edited by MaxYakov

On 2/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, seb2015 said:

Re "end of burning season" - AFIK, the waste-to-energy plants around BKK don't have a season. The coal power plant in the South doesn't either.  Also garbage burning, plastics burning, and electronics recycle/burning are a problem only abated by wind direction or govt order.  If you believe the news, then contracts for importing containers of plastic from other countries expire at the end of 2020, so that should help with dioxins, etc..

Re: central air systems and filters - I did a central system installation in Florida as a hobby for an add-on.  So I'm no expert, but more than a little hands-on.  In US it is easy to find the 4" thick hepa filters of all shapes and sizes at home depot, lowes, etc.  Do a google image search on "20 in. x 25in x 4.375 in. Pleated Hepa filter" to see.  Here in BKK, Home Pro does not stock any comparable hepa filters (only Hatari Rap 1201, or Filtrete).  The lack of availability is a concern.  I suspect, in time, there will be options - but unless someone knows better, they are few and far between at the moment.

If you did have a HEPA source for large filters, then a 2000 - 3000 sq ft home with 2-4 BR could be cooled with one central AC unit - they do it all the time in Florida.  But those spit systems require a large pad outside and air handler inside.  I think it is far less expensive to go with Purifiers in every room.

.. Improvements welcome 🙂

• Like 1

AQI forecast for this week looks dismal...no clue how accurate that forecast is though.

aqi_bkk_02242020.jpg

• Sad 2

On 2/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, DaveInSukhumvit said:

Re: central air systems and filters - I did a central system installation in Florida as a hobby for an add-on.  So I'm no expert, but more than a little hands-on.  In US it is easy to find the 4" thick hepa filters of all shapes and sizes at home depot, lowes, etc.  Do a google image search on "20 in. x 25in x 4.375 in. Pleated Hepa filter" to see.  Here in BKK, Home Pro does not stock any comparable hepa filters (only Hatari Rap 1201, or Filtrete).  The lack of availability is a concern.  I suspect, in time, there will be options - but unless someone knows better, they are few and far between at the moment.

If you did have a HEPA source for large filters, then a 2000 - 3000 sq ft home with 2-4 BR could be cooled with one central AC unit - they do it all the time in Florida.  But those spit systems require a large pad outside and air handler inside.  I think it is far less expensive to go with Purifiers in every room.

.. Improvements welcome 🙂

Dave, been able to replace central air conditioning in most rooms in our apartment with wall units and purifiers. This works quite well for the rooms so equipped. But the last room is a large living/dining area, which still has 3 old central air conditioners which our landlord will not replace.  As soon as any of these units are turned on, the PM2.5 levels in that room immediately start to rise - so we limit their use and focus on electric fans.  Still, it can get hot. My options, as I see it, are to either replace one more more of the central units with a wall unit myself. Alternatively just get a small portable air conditioner that sits near where ever the people in that room are located.  Any thoughts on these ideas (or any others)?