Bangkok Air Pollution 2020

Pravda

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For whatever reason, for the last two days, the late night / overnight /  early morning hours in BKK have been very bad, but the midday and afternoon hours have improved considerably. Probably because of the winds picking up in the afternoons.

1016571960_2020-01-0713_13_27.jpg.eaa525b81d82dd419c887d057417b6ea.jpg

This pattern is a constant trend not only in Bangkok but in cities worldwide and it has been observed by many researchers.  There seems to be some controversy as to why but I believe the usual explanation is not so much wind as the heating cycle.  As the afternoon comes on, the ground heats up and so the air at ground level (the most polluted) starts to rise.  This disperses particles.  Later in the day as things cool down, the polluted air sits and may even be held down by an inversion layer.  Not sure if that's exactly the right description but you will see this AQ pattern almost every day.  Best time for air quality is afternoon.  It's deceptive because it FEELS better at night owing to the lower temperature but in fact the air is dirtier.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You may have to live with it, if you choose to continue living here.

But using a good HEPA air purifier at home and a N95 mask when outside (when the air is bad) can make a major difference, and protect one's health from the seriously bad stuff in the air.

Absolutely.  I live in Ploenchit, have a 4 year old son who goes to school there, and I work in Siam.  We use 3 air purifiers at home, but I doubt they have a huge effect.  I'd love to move, byt my work is here.  It's just something I have had to accept. 

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

... The red-orange parts of the year for PM2.5 are really mostly clustered around November to January, sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later. But most of the rest of the year is reasonable.

Actually you have to throw in February.  In 2019 February wasn't too bad but in 2017 and 2018 it was even worse than December and a lot worse than November (aqicn.org historicals).  So basically November-February are the problem.  The rest of the year is indeed reasonable.   But that means 4 months/year are to be avoided.   Not a very acceptable situation.  The trouble for me is finding an alternative in Asia.  Outside of Japan and Taiwan there don't seem to be any major cities that are much better.   Don't trust those figures from Malaysia, they don't monitor properly. 

58 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Absolutely.  I live in Ploenchit, have a 4 year old son who goes to school there, and I work in Siam.  We use 3 air purifiers at home, but I doubt they have a huge effect.  I'd love to move, byt my work is here.  It's just something I have had to accept. 

get a handheld monitor

39 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Actually you have to throw in February.  In 2019 February wasn't too bad but in 2017 and 2018 it was even worse than December and a lot worse than November (aqicn.org historicals).  So basically November-February are the problem.  The rest of the year is indeed reasonable.   But that means 4 months/year are to be avoided.   Not a very acceptable situation.  The trouble for me is finding an alternative in Asia.  Outside of Japan and Taiwan there don't seem to be any major cities that are much better.   Don't trust those figures from Malaysia, they don't monitor properly. 

Oct-Mar is much more accurate. It changes year to year. Last year Oct was great, this year it was bad. Year before last Feb was the worst month by far and Mar was pretty bad too.

54 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

The green, yellow, orange, red, etc. color codes which come from the Chinese government are not very accurate.

The air pollution chart data we often use here is aggregated and presented by the aqicn.org website and its pulling data from a worldwide network of monitoring stations, including for Thailand the various government operated monitoring sites. AFAIK, that entity is not run by the Chinese government.

The World Air Quality Index project is a non-profit project started in 2007. Its mission is to promote air pollution awareness for citizens and provide a unified and world-wide air quality information.

The founding team, located in Beijing China, is composed of several contributors in the domain environmental sciences, system engineering, data science, as well as visual design. The team has been expanding worldwide, with new key supporters from Singapore, India, Australia, USA.

The project, despite its social intent and expensive outreach, has never received any public funding. The limited income, essentially from online ads, is used to cover the infrastructure and hardware cost. Engineering work is contributed.

But more to the point, the AQI data presented there uses the U.S./international standard for assessing health risk, not the Thai standard that allows higher levels of PM2.5 before declaring it unhealthy. IME, the aqicn.org data and charting for Thailand is a pretty good and accurate indicators of local conditions here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We use 3 air purifiers at home, but I doubt they have a huge effect.

Why would you think that?

I have HEPA air purifiers at home that I use regularly as needed. I also have a pair of Sndway digital PM2.5 monitors that take readings in real time.

I can see the indoor PM2.5 levels when we come home to an empty house. We turn on our air purifiers, and I can see the PM2.5 levels steadily drop until we get them where we want them, based on a combination of the ambient air conditions and what fan speeds we choose to use.

As long as they're quality units, the filters are replaced as needed and the units are sized properly for the areas you're trying to keep the air clean for, they'll perform exactly as intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimShorts said:

The primary source of the air pollution in Thailand is open burning, accounting for over approx 60%. ...

Thailand also gets a fair amount of air pollution blowing in from China, India, Vietnam, etc.

JimShorts, thank you very much for the helpful and detailed summary! 

I'd add that Myanmar may also be a source for Thailand.... we motorbiked in a loop in December from Mandalay, to areas of Shan and Chin states. Trash burning, including much plastic, was everywhere.  I made the mistake of bringing a SNDWY PM detector. The measurements were depressing, starting with inside the Mandalay hotel room a PM2.5 reading of 90+.   A balloon ride over Bagan was spoiled by being carried through toxic plumes of burning trash.  Mercifully the device broke somewhere along the way and I tried not to think of what we (and the whole population) is breathing every day.  It's sad, but I was happy to get back to Bangkok where the PM levels are generally lower, and we have air purifiers, Filtrete, and masks for protection.

Myanmar doesn't yet have that many cars as compared to Thailand.  It would seem the introduction of nonrecycled plastic with no way to dispose of it is driving the problem in Myanmar (probably Thailand too), and some of the Myanmar toxic smog may drift to places in Thailand.  Sadly in Myanmar the population seemed completely unaware, we were told it's just "mist" due to the weather change. 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And then do what?   Move?

You can't expect other people to hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do. The evidence is very clear that air purifiers and masks are very effective as long as you choose the right ones. The fact that you're saying 'I doubt' without putting forward any evidence shows a pretty half-arsed approach to your own and your family's health. You just need to do some basic research and make your own decisions based on the evidence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You can't expect other people to hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do. The evidence is very clear that air purifiers and masks are very effective as long as you choose the right ones. The fact that you're saying 'I doubt' without putting forward any evidence shows a pretty half-arsed approach to your own and your family's health. You just need to do some basic research and make your own decisions based on the evidence.

I take what you're saying and I have been agonizing over what do to since we went through all this last year.  We have an air purifier in each room and they have some effect, but we don't spend all our time at home.  I wear a mask when it's especially bad, but not while at work, and getting my 4 year old to wear one is very difficult.

My research clearly shows it would be far healthier to move back to the UK or to move to somewhere with better air quality.  However, my work is here, we have a 2 year contract on our condo and my kid is happy and doing well at school.  My decision is to stay put and deal with the horrible air as best I can.  I don't think that is especially "half-arsed". 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have HEPA air purifiers at home that I use regularly as needed. I also have a pair of Sndway digital PM2.5 monitors that take readings in real time.

I can see the indoor PM2.5 levels when we come home to an empty house. We turn on our air purifiers, and I can see the PM2.5 levels steadily drop until we get them where we want them, based on a combination of the ambient air conditions and what fan speeds we choose to use.

As long as they're quality units, the filters are replaced as needed and the units are sized properly for the areas you're trying to keep the air clean for, they'll perform exactly as intended.

I hope you're right, otherwise I've wasted money buying them.  My point is that it's impossible to live and work in the centre of town and avoid the air pollution completely.  Even on the days when it's not so bad, it's bad compared to back home.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The air pollution chart data we often use here is aggregated and presented by the aqicn.org website and its pulling data from a worldwide network of monitoring stations, including for Thailand the various government operated monitoring sites. AFAIK, that entity is not run by the Chinese government.

But more to the point, the AQI data presented there uses the U.S./international standard for assessing health risk, not the Thai standard that allows higher levels of PM2.5 before declaring it unhealthy. IME, the aqicn.org data and charting for Thailand is a pretty good and accurate indicators of local conditions here.

My bad, I did not explain myself correctly. What I was trying to say is that aqicn.org website is indeed the best measure we have available and I am thankful for the project. However the way most people interpret the AQI colors is inaccurate. Anything other than green is not safe for health, especially for young kids and older people. Yellow and orange are not be careful, they are this is unhealthy. Yellow equals unhealthy. Orange, red, purple and brown are more and more unhealthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And then do what?   Move?

At least you will be able to know if the air in your house is ok or not and do something to fix it if it is not ok. Same goes for your kid's school and your workplace. Most school actually have air purifiers or are willing to install them. You will also find many safe havens, such as many malls, restaurants, coffee shops, kids indoor play areas, etc. all with good air. 

I too am here for work and although I am seriously considering leaving, for now I try to make the best of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I too run air purifiers at home, one in each room. They most certainly have a huge effect. The air inside is usually under 20 AQI and at the worst of times never over 40 AQI. It makes a massive difference, especially if you sleep 20-30% of your life, or like most young kids 50%. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Anything other than green is not safe for health, especially for young kids and older people. Yellow and orange are not be careful, they are this is unhealthy. Yellow equals unhealthy. Orange, red, purple and brown are more and more unhealthy. 

Jim, I think that's a matter for some judgment.

The actual official standard for yellow is "moderate." You don't get an official declaration of unhealthy for sensitive groups until you get to orange.

Personally, I keep my home levels always in the green AQI category. And I'd bit a bit wary of going outside for exercise when the moderate levels get toward the high end of that range, up toward 100 AQI.

But officially, the EPA authorities that make up these categories I don't think would say 50-100 AQI (yellow) is unhealthy for the general population. That's their standard, though you or I certainly can choose to be more rigorous.

Note the official AQI health impact statements by level:

Yellow:

Moderate

Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.

Orange:

Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups

Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is not likely to be affected.

47 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

You will also find many safe havens, such as many malls, restaurants, coffee shops, kids indoor play areas, etc. all with good air. 

I've never found that to be the case here...

No. 1 - Those kinds of places typically aren't using any kind of purifier equipment other than traditional air con units. and

No. 2 -- Malls and restaurants have a lot of cooking activity going on, and that involves frying, baking, grilling etc etc that generates A LOT of localized PM2.5.  When I've taken my Sndway units out and around, you'd be surprised at just how high the PM2.5 levels get in some big malls. In general, they are NOT any kind of air quality refuge.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 hours ago, mickey rat said:

When breathing is unhealthy it's an issue for us and I'm no idiot. ????

However, we will be wearing masks until we leave mid February. Don't care <deleted> it looks like or what people think. But, I do feel sorry for the ignorant and those with no other option. 

Thailand is unhealthy. Why did you bother to step off the plane?

Air is never going to get better so all I can do is plan the exit strategy. The question is why you came in the first place. Air has been horrible two years running.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Why not pin this one instead:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1021518-bangkok-air-pollution/

It's a treasure trove of information about Bangkok air pollution and how to protect yourself from it.

Best way to protect yourself...

Leave.

If it REALLY bothers you mentally or physically why would you stay? You cannot possibly plan to live the balance of your life under a mask?! Really don't understand people.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Leave.

If it REALLY bothers you mentally or physically why would you stay? You cannot possibly plan to live the balance of your life under a mask?! Really don't understand people.

What other people choose to do seems to be bothering you mentally. Why would you care if I wear a mask? I'm perfectly happy living here but something seems to be making you unhappy.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Jim, I think that's a matter for some judgment.

The actual official standard for yellow is "moderate." You don't get an official declaration of unhealthy for sensitive groups until you get to orange.

Personally, I keep my home levels always in the green AQI category. And I'd bit a bit wary of going outside for exercise when the moderate levels get toward the high end of that range, up toward 100 AQI.

But officially, the EPA authorities that make up these categories I don't think would say 50-100 AQI (yellow) is unhealthy for the general population. That's their standard, though you or I certainly can choose to be more rigorous.

Note the official AQI health impact statements by level:

Yellow:

Moderate

Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.

Orange:

Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups

Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is not likely to be affected.

Yes it depends on the source. Many studies question the "safe" levels set by the EPA. The WHO states no level is safe and that exposure should not exceed an average of 25µg/m3 (78 AQI) in a 24-hour period which is almost exactly in the middle of the yellow. They also state exposure should not exceed an average of 10µg/m3 (42 AQI) in an annual period, which is green. 

The fact is no level of PM2.5 is safe. Any exposure causes health issues:

https://www.downwindersatrisk.org/2017/07/new-harvard-study-there-is-no-safe-level-of-exposure-to-smog-or-particulate-matter/

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/safe-levels-of-air-pollution-could-still-be-harmful/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/safe-levels-of-air-pollution-can-actually-be-deadly/ar-BBYIjfY

Also keep in mind both the WHO and the EPA recommendations are for full grown healthy adults. The numbers are exponential different for young children (especially babies) elderly, pregnant (fetus) and sick people, thus the vague "sensitive group" reference. 

https://qz.com/1166010/air-pollution-even-at-levels-that-meet-national-standards-causes-premature-death/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5480095/Even-safe-levels-pollution-damage-babies-study-finds.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170630124346.htm

Also keep in mind pollutants build up in the body, so when coupled with other pollutants like pesticides, chemicals, radiation, etc. which most people are over-exposed to, the impact is greater. 

Edited by JimShorts

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never found that to be the case here...

No. 1 - Those kinds of places typically aren't using any kind of purifier equipment other than traditional air con units. and

No. 2 -- Malls and restaurants have a lot of cooking activity going on, and that involves frying, baking, grilling etc etc that generates A LOT of localized PM2.5.  When I've taken my Sndway units out and around, you'd be surprised at just how high the PM2.5 levels get in some big malls. In general, they are NOT any kind of air quality refuge.

I have taken my portable monitor to the 2 malls at Phrom Phong, when the air is bad outside (over 50µg/m3) and they both have decent air, under 20µg/m3, aside from the food courts which like you said have really bad air, usually over 50µg/m3 even when the air ok outside. 

Same goes for a number of coffee shops and other indoor places. The coffee shop I was at this morning the air was under 15µg/m3. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Leave.

Not an option for everyone. Also living anywhere is a balance of pros and cons. Staying indoors and wearing a mask for a few months each year sucks, but not necessarily a deal breaker.  Some other places you have to stay inside for 6 months and wear a mask because it is so cold. Many pros to living in Bangkok, also a fair amount of cons, air pollution being the biggest con in my mind. 

I live on the border of Bangkok and Nonthaburi only a few hundred meters from Changwattana.

This morning in my house downstairs my meter showed AQI of 127 and 2.5 level of 103. It was only very very slightly higher outside.

Mrs J has gone off to play golf at Muang Ake, She has taken my meter and hopefully will remember to check what the level is there. If I get a reading I will post.

Edited by JAS21

18 hours ago, JimShorts said:

My bad, I did not explain myself correctly. What I was trying to say is that aqicn.org website is indeed the best measure we have available and I am thankful for the project. However the way most people interpret the AQI colors is inaccurate. Anything other than green is not safe for health, especially for young kids and older people. Yellow and orange are not be careful, they are this is unhealthy. Yellow equals unhealthy. Orange, red, purple and brown are more and more unhealthy. 

If children are more susceptible to air pollution, then they should be in masks at all times during other-than-green pollution levels. The thing is I don't think I've seen child-size masks for sale anywhere. Would the children even wear them (or be made to wear them) if they were available?

19 hours ago, JimShorts said:

At least you will be able to know if the air in your house is ok or not and do something to fix it if it is not ok. Same goes for your kid's school and your workplace. Most school actually have air purifiers or are willing to install them. You will also find many safe havens, such as many malls, restaurants, coffee shops, kids indoor play areas, etc. all with good air. 

I too am here for work and although I am seriously considering leaving, for now I try to make the best of it. 

One would have to carry a PM2.5 meter to measure and verify the levels anywhere. I have done this at the FoodLand (Took La Dee) restaurants and pollution levels are actually worse than outside - probably because of the cooking. I doubt that there are many "safe havens" out there among the malls, restaurants and coffee shops and (even) the schools. If I had a child in school, I'd be verifying steps it has taken to lessen its pollution level. But what do the children do during recess? How many children are actually in effective masks these days (rhetorical question)?

I don't worry about it too much because I'm always in an effective mask except when I'm actually eating. I wear a mask even in my apartment's un-air-purified rooms because I know the pollution levels in those rooms are essentially the same as outside. I keep only one "clean room", my bedroom of around 15 m2. I try to keep the levels at < 5 mcg/m3 there. My biggest nightmare is falling asleep and breathing 100 mcg/mfor several hours as do (apparently) most of the residents of Bangkok during "unhealthy/red" hours. I personally consider anything greater than a very clean "green" level to be unhealthy, but that's just me.

Incidentally, since I've been wearing an effective mask full-time when out and about, my incidences of what used to be catching a cold regularly has dropped to zero (knock on wood). I also try to avoid being around people (mainly due to the noise - another pollution issue with me).

Edited by MaxYakov

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I live on the border of Bangkok and Nonthaburi only a few hundred meters from Changwattana.

This morning in my house downstairs my meter showed AQI of 127 and 2.5 level of 103. It was only very very slightly higher outside.

Mrs J has gone off to play golf at Muang Ake, She has taken my meter and hopefully will remember to check what the level is there. If I get a reading I will post.

It was worse there and at 10am my drive way showed AQI of 150.....

Now it is 11am and AQI is 70 and 2.5 is 59...we have a slight breeze...

Edited by JAS21