Bangkok Air Pollution 2020

Pravda

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

If children are more susceptible to air pollution, then they should be in masks at all times during other-than-green pollution levels. The thing is I don't think I've seen child-size masks for sale anywhere. Would the children even wear them (or be made to wear them) if they were available?

My 3 year old son wears a mask to/from school. We only enforce it on days when the air is orange or worse. My 1 year old is a little less compliant, however she will usually wear it if everyone else is wearing one as well. For the most part the kids stay inside if the air is orange or worse. We have a rule that the air must be under 20µg/m3 the kids can play outside. 20-30µg/m3 outside play is limited for the 3 year old and 1 year old should not be outside. Over 30µg/m3 and both should be inside. Air inside our apartment is always under 8µg/m3, usually around 4µg/m3. Air at my 3 year olds school is around 10µg/m3 on days when it is bad outside. We are lucky because the building we live in has two large indoor play areas with air purifiers, air is always under 10µg/m3. Also we know which malls, indoor play areas, coffee shops, restaurants, etc.  have decent air so we can get the kids out of the house when the air is bad. I am sure even with all this the air pollution still has a negative impact on their health, but we try to minimize it within reason. 

You can buy child size masks on amazon. 

Edited by JimShorts
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

One would have to carry a PM2.5 meter to measure and verify the levels anywhere. I have done this at the FoodLand (Took La Dee) restaurants and pollution levels are actually worse than outside - probably because of the cooking. I doubt that there are many "safe havens" out there among the malls, restaurants and coffee shops and (even) the schools. If I had a child in school, I'd be verifying steps it has taken to lessen its pollution level. But what do the children do during recess? How many children are actually in effective masks these days (rhetorical question)?

I don't worry about it too much because I'm always in an effective mask except when I'm actually eating. I wear a mask even in my apartment's un-air-purified rooms because I know the pollution levels in those rooms are essentially the same as outside. I keep only one "clean room", my bedroom of around 15 m2. I try to keep the levels at < 5 mcg/m3 there. My biggest nightmare is falling asleep and breathing 100 mcg/mfor several hours as do (apparently) most of the residents of Bangkok during "unhealthy/red" hours. I personally consider anything greater than a very clean "green" level to be unhealthy, but that's just me.

Incidentally, since I've been wearing an effective mask full-time when out and about, my incidences of what used to be catching a cold regularly has dropped to zero (knock on wood). I also try to avoid being around people (mainly due to the noise - another pollution issue with me).

There most certainly are safe havens. I do take my monitor with my everywhere when the air is bad outside. Most restaurants have bad air, many have worse than outside. The bakery near me has air well over 250µg/m3! However the coffee shop near me has air under 15µg/m3 on the worst days. The malls have air under 20µg/m3 when it is 80µg/m3. Almost all the indoor children play areas have purifiers and decent air. 

Most (maybe all) international schools cancel outside play when air is bad. they all have different cutoffs, my sons school the cutoff 35µg/m3. They also have air purifiers in every room. Thai schools on the other hand are much more liberal and usually only cut outdoor play at 56µg/m3. Most Thai schools, like most Thai houses are indoor/outdoor and the air is the same inside as out so it is rather pointless anyways.

Over the last two years I see more and more children wearing proper masks. My kids wear them. At my sons school, mostly Japanese, about 10% of the kids wear them to/from school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

This is true and really upsets me when official warning announcements state "stay inside and shut your windows" or when school is cancelled so children can stay home inside. Without an air purifier it is just as bad inside as outside, often worse. 

The ONLY advantage to staying inside, if there is any, is the chance that you might be avoiding more physical exertion by staying home than if you were hoofing it around outside, and thus breathing in less deeply the lousy air. But it's certainly wrong to make people think their unpurified home air is any better than outside.

So as an example, that's one reason why some schools cancel PE/outdoors activities when the air is really bad...to limit the physical activity of their students.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

With the Bangkok Post reporting today that the air quality in Bangkok is the third worst in the world, what will you do if it continues to get worse and never dissipates like Shang-Hai or Beijing?

There is a serious possibility the air can be ruined forever with no chance of recovery.

Do you want to spend the rest of your life wearing a mask?

What about your Air-Con sucking in this air?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Post in German has been removed.

"English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums."

Confusingly this comment about Bangkok air quality appears in the Issan local forum.

Well I'm happy to report that right now where we live in the north east of Issan the AQI is 55 and the air is sweet and clear. I can live with that thank you.

By the way @bwpage3, air cons do not suck in air from the outside.

• Like 2

Today, thus far, is one of the worst smog days BKK has seen in a long time... Don't breathe out there!!!!!

824327387_2020-01-1012_41_22.jpg.3ca5379af2edbe859c4a8f5f9b834e44.jpg

My indoor sensor at home in central BKK is reading about 60 micrograms right now, which equals an indoor AQI of about 153.

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You would almost think these were taken at different times...

Screenshot_20200110-131906_LINE.thumb.jpg.b02c7af6a58ec72a34d0b9d53affe367.jpg

Screenshot_20200110-131926_LINE.thumb.jpg.75d81effd0bdbf692d5a98d2a79d29f4.jpg

The Air4Thai government site and data use the Thai produced AQI scale, which allows higher levels of pollution as normal before declaring health problems.

On the more commonly used U.S./international scale, an AQI of 151 and above gets you into RED/unhealthy territory. On the Thai scale you've posted above, you don't get into red until you hit AQI of 201.

It's the same actual levels of pollution. The Thai system just colors them at lower levels to make the pollution problem seem less concerning than it really is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fyi, dunno why, but at present, almost all the major PM2.5 monitoring stations around BKK as reported by aqicn.org only have their latest data for today showing as of 7 am.... which is pretty unusual to be so far behind.

1059690819_2020-01-1013_48_25.jpg.1f25b92f033c01bb3e0e92e192c1ae6e.jpg

Note the time on the above graphic... 7 am. And it's the same right now at 1:45 pm for most of the other BKK sites being reported on the aqicn.org website. Dunno if it's a problem with their system, or the Thai government reporting system itself.

The AirVisual site is reporting BKK readings at present that are up to date... showing 1 pm values. But those are all still in the RED, with AQI values generally between 160 and 170.

1305520832_2020-01-1013_53_24.jpg.c65881cde2408da2ac50697cf5fd5c1e.jpg

FWIW, my home indoors meter in central BKK as of 2 pm is showing a bit of an improvement from the morning -- currently 53 micrograms, a 144 AQI at the high end of the Orange scale. Down from the high 50s to 60 earlier in the morning.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:18 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Both sources are significant contributors to PM2.5 pollution in BKK, but the relative mix varies depending on the time of the year.

& time of day, when the traffic is heavy the count always rises!

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The ONLY advantage to staying inside, if there is any, is the chance that you might be avoiding more physical exertion by staying home than if you were hoofing it around outside, and thus breathing in less deeply the lousy air. But it's certainly wrong to make people think their unpurified home air is any better than outside.

So as an example, that's one reason why some schools cancel PE/outdoors activities when the air is really bad...to limit the physical activity of their students.

True, good point. 

No sustained afternoon improvement in air quality in BKK this afternoon...unlike earlier this week.

After improving a bit earlier this afternoon, my indoor sensor readings deteriorated again later in the afternoon.

As of 4 pm in central BKK, my indoor sensor in an unfiltered/unoccupied room is hitting 70 micrograms, for an AQI reading of 158.

When I escaped Shanghai after five years and moved to Bangkok three years ago I was under the impression that my respiratory systems are no longer under threat... until now lol

I am having a BlueAir Pro L and M at home, the L in my living room and the M in my bedroom. Also wearing a Vogmask outside.

I am supposed to meet friends tonight in Soi 11 for drinks and dinner. Obviously I am not going to sit outside but even inside it won’t be any better because the restaurant probably has had windows and doors open since the morning. I am tempted to stay inside now. Having to spend time in this dirty air when it’s unavoidable is one thing, but doing it intentionally is another... intentionally would be being exposed tonight. Should I decline? I am unsure... health comes first!

• Haha 1

Was walking on Sukhumvit between 2-3pm this afternoon.  My handheld SNDWAY read 100+ PM2.5, which is an AQI of about 175.  But very few people were wearing masks. 

Last year at this time I remember my Thai friends following AQI on Line and all wearing masks. What's different this year?

5 minutes ago, Misty said:

Was walking on Sukhumvit between 2-3pm this afternoon.  My handheld SNDWAY read 100+ PM2.5, which is an AQI of about 175.  But very few people were wearing masks. 

Last year at this time I remember my Thai friends following AQI on Line and all wearing masks. What's different this year?

I noticed the same thing and I think it's simply that people don't care. Lady year it was "new" news... Perhaps even a fashion statement ????

Couple hours ago I was outside at Sathorn on the skywalk above Naradiwas (BTS Chong Nonsi).  My monitor was reading 140-142 (that's mcg/cubic meter = almost 200 AQI).  I've monitored there many times and this was by far the highest I've seen.

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

58 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I noticed the same thing and I think it's simply that people don't care. Lady year it was "new" news... Perhaps even a fashion statement ????

I think last year people thought the air pollution was actually going to cause immediate death so bought the masks out of fear but now they realise that isn't the case they've lost interest.

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Confusingly this comment about Bangkok air quality appears in the Issan local forum.

Well I'm happy to report that right now where we live in the north east of Issan the AQI is 55 and the air is sweet and clear. I can live with that thank you.

By the way @bwpage3, air cons do not suck in air from the outside.

Where do You get your air from?

• Confused 1